GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some links to reviews and feedback on trike conversions, preffered kits and some that are not preffered.
I want to do some research on good and bad.
Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
469 Posts
Check out the Motor Trike Adventurer Independant Suspension. Just had mine done and love it. Put 4500 mi on in the last month and 0 issues. Why did I wait sooooo long.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hndymn,
Questions,
Why Motor Trike? How many conversions are there?
Hannigan, California Side Car, Motor Trike, what else............why MotorTrike?
I am trying to find a link in Google to reviews on trikes, know of any? I know that the Motortrike is good (what I have read) but how did you make the choice?:shrug:
Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
MSG, Thanks for your service.

I would suspect just about everyone that has a trike especially a Goldwing Trike says theirs are the best. Add Champion to your list.

It is very hard to compare a vehicle without actually putting your behind on them.

Suggest you visit as many trike dealers and see how they ride and what features each have.

However, most off-the-shelf trike will not have EZ steer which, with my terrible shoulders is by far the best addition I have made to my trike.

Then, I have had the pleasure of personalizing it for the last 18 months.

Comanche,

US Army Ret.

·
Registered
469 Posts
BigYellow1, I rode the Lehman solid axle and a Champion prior to riding the Motor Trike and liked the way it rode much better. Did not get to ride other brands as there are none close to me. Another deciding factor was the installer at our local dealer, (Rods Power Sports) is a person I am acquainted with and is highly respected as a quality installer. I have had mine about 5 weeks and put on several thousand miles with no problems at all. Good Luck with whatever you decide. :yes1:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Thanks hndymn,
Questions,
Why Motor Trike? How many conversions are there?
Hannigan, California Side Car, Motor Trike, what else............why MotorTrike?
I am trying to find a link in Google to reviews on trikes, know of any? I know that the Motortrike is good (what I have read) but how did you make the choice?:shrug:
Thanks
Ray
Mostly personal preference on ride, body style, trunk size, things like that.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well, I haven't seen the RoadSmith mentioned yet. Yes, we each seem to like what we ride, but I have yet to experience the angst that some owners have expressed with respect to drive line and suspension troubles. If you don't ride and inspect closely the RoadSmith conversion, you will not have made a decision based on all the information available. I have spoken about the attributes of my machine several times here. There are several things about the RoadSmith that are very well designed and executed, and it has been a dream to own and ride thus far. You can view the technical specifications by going to The Trike Shop's website. You can also scan back through the pages of posts in this forum and read and study the comments made, both good and bad, about most of the brands available.

Take your time, learn all you can, and find yourself an installer who is well recommended. If you decide to buy a machine that has had a previous owner, take the time to really look at it closely. It would be worth your time to have it inspected by that good dealer/installer if possible. Some have bought certain brands without knowing of some concerns that are posted often enough here to indicate there is cause for concern. Better to know about these things up front than after the fact! So far, I cannot tell you one negative thing about my RoadSmith conversion. And I have read few negative comments about them that can be attributed to the machine itself. We all have different likes and dislikes as far as looks and style are concerned. But as far as I'm concerned, pretty is as pretty does, and reliable function is at the top of my priority list. I just happen to think my ride looks good as well as works very well!

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
conversion

I just triked mine to Road Smith with at 5-1/2 degree rake and love it. Only had it 5 days. Had a Motor Trike before that. Just try several and buy what you like.
If you are close to Knoxville, Tenn. they are having the Wing Ding this weekend and have several dealers with trike to test drive and some to buy. Great place to compare trikes and talk to the dealers.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
There are no bad kits. There are bad installers. Good kit plus good installer equals a good ride. I chose Motor Trike because the installer was very good. I have 60K on "Punkin" and no problems. I also have a RT-S Spyder and love it too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great answer, George!!!

]George, great response and comment. All of the manufacturers are OK, it is the INSTALLER that makes the difference...

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
To my short memory, only kits available for self installation were, DFT (dam fine trikes), and Champion. Agree installer rep. is a key point, if not doing it yourself. :coffee1: Know two people who had to ride back to factory in Tenn. to get installations fixed, by bad installer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Champion trouble

A friend had a CSC solid axle and his wife complained about feeling every bump, so he went with a Chamion IRS. He had so many problems with it, such as the tire rubbing on the fender and causing paint blistering, that it was in the shop more than on the road. Champion has not had IRS for very long (one year?) and apparently has design issues. He went back to a CSC with IRS this time (after taking a big loss on the Champion) and is very happy.
I went with Hannigan because of the quality comments on this forum and I could retain the ABS. We can also feel the IRS rolling smoothly over bumps with no complaints from my wife who, because of arthritis in her hip, can no longer ride behind me on my Harley. I would strongly recommend IRS, no matter which trike kit you choose.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Know two people who had to ride back to factory in Tenn. to get installations fixed, by bad installer.
I also know a couple people that have to have a good installer in Michigan redo a couple installs done @ a manufacturers facility in Kentucky.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I also know a couple people that have to have a good installer in Michigan redo a couple installs done @ a manufacturers facility in Kentucky.
That is bad. If the manufacture can't install their own kit correctly, they need to improve their quality control.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
A friend had a CSC solid axle and his wife complained about feeling every bump, so he went with a Chamion IRS. He had so many problems with it, such as the tire rubbing on the fender and causing paint blistering, that it was in the shop more than on the road. Champion has not had IRS for very long (one year?) and apparently has design issues. He went back to a CSC with IRS this time (after taking a big loss on the Champion) and is very happy.
I went with Hannigan because of the quality comments on this forum and I could retain the ABS. We can also feel the IRS rolling smoothly over bumps with no complaints from my wife who, because of arthritis in her hip, can no longer ride behind me on my Harley. I would strongly recommend IRS, no matter which trike kit you choose.

I did not know that CSC ever made a solid axle.

I thought that is why CSC came in to being. Some wanted to keep a solid axle and some didn't. The ones who wanted IRS broke off from Champion and became CSC. CSC is a IRS which would be different from a solid axle. At lease that was the story I was told.

CSC also keeps the ABS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unless your a trike mechanic I would buy the brand(s) that has good local support. Even better find a used one that was built by someone in your area that has a good reputation. I drive my Trike about 80 miles just to get it serviced because I wish to maintain a relationship with the dealer that built it. My reason is if and when I show up for some serious warranty work I
don't hear "so who is the idiot that's been working on this thing?.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts