GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my '06 Wing converted with a Roadsmith HT1800 kit last September. I notified my insurance company (Foremost) of the change. The agent quoted me $450 for coverage. I questioned if that was correct since the bike without the trike kit was $425 per year. The agent assured me the quote was in fact correct. Great. I sent off a check to cover the difference. Now that my policy is due for renewal, Foremost says they won't insure modified motorcycles and never have...WTF? I mention to the agent that he took my money last September only to find out, I've been un-insured since then due to the trike modifications. I will be asking for a refund retro active to September 2013.

Jumping ahead to today, I received a quote from Progressive at $1062.00 and a quote from Geico $301.50 for the same coverage. I wonder why the huge difference :shrug: for the same coverage?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I had my '06 Wing converted with a Roadsmith HT1800 kit last September. I notified my insurance company (Foremost) of the change. The agent quoted me $450 for coverage. I questioned if that was correct since the bike without the trike kit was $425 per year. The agent assured me the quote was in fact correct. Great. I sent off a check to cover the difference. Now that my policy is due for renewal, Foremost says they won't insure modified motorcycles and never have...WTF? I mention to the agent that he took my money last September only to find out, I've been un-insured since then due to the trike modifications. I will be asking for a refund retro active to September 2013.

Jumping ahead to today, I received a quote from Progressive at $1062.00 and a quote from Geico $301.50 for the same coverage. I wonder why the huge difference :shrug: for the same coverage?

Insurance companies are crooks so you have to beat them at their game.

Most states view the trike conversion as an accessory (albeit an expensive one). Not sure what the regs are in your state.

Regardless of the regs you need to make sure what the total value insured is in dollars.

Maybe the agent or the company is unfamiliar with trikes and so a new company may be in order.

This coverage is common so take your money to someone who knows what the deal is. if it's not foremost then so be it.

Hope this helps,
Andy

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine was $1,058 for a year with American Modern out of Cincinnati.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts

He really did lie to you,, He accepted your money and you paid the requested mouth in good faith. So you were covered. Now if they give into your request and refund your payment and retro your policy end date back to sept 13.. Your MVA will then hit you with such a large fine you will freak out

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Regarding your quotes....

As mentioned Geico (as well as many others) see the kit as an accessory and while you add coverage to compensate they also recognize among other things it will not fall over, has a lower instance of a single vehicle accidents, is less likely to be stolen, and has a historically overall lower risk to the insurance company than a two wheeled GL. Even though our kit increased the replacement cost by over 50% our policy changed exactly $0. Many find the same when they Trike. Just make sure they quoted passenger coverage (Geico only includes it if you ask) and that you make sure you are covered for its total value. Our rep was actually very knowledgeable pertaining to the conversion and contacted our installer to verify everything that was done, that it was installed by a licensed company, and all values where correct. Our policy for the Trike alone is just a little higher than your qoute but we have optional add ons and a trailer included.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Insurance

I have Markel Ins. I paid $400.00 the first year. Last year they dropped the price to $350.00. They have an agreed upon value. You give them some pictures and get an appraisal. Then the company and you agree upon the value of your bike and that value holds for 4 years then you do it over again. If it's stolen or totaled you get the value less your deductible. My trike is insured for $27,000, which includes all the add- ons. It works for me. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
277 Posts
This sounds like an input error on the part of your agent. There are a couple of questions on the Foremost app (I'm retired insurance broker and Foremost was one of my companies) those questions can be confusing if you're not a biker or familiar with trikes. If I were you I would call Foremost direct and talk to their customer service people and try to drill down to their product supervisor of motorcycles and see if they have your trike classified as a recognized trike kit. I have Foremost on my CSC here in Missouri. I don't like their renewal offer as far as price so I'm shopping and so far Safeco has a good price.

Hope this helps.

Dan Moore
St Charles, MO

PS Don't ask for a refund back to Sept as a previous poster said You'll get screwed.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This sounds like an input error on the part of your agent. There are a couple of questions on the Foremost app (I'm retired insurance broker and Foremost was one of my companies) those questions can be confusing if you're not a biker or familiar with trikes. If I were you I would call Foremost direct and talk to their customer service people and try to drill down to their product supervisor of motorcycles and see if they have your trike classified as a recognized trike kit. I have Foremost on my CSC here in Missouri. I don't like their renewal offer as far as price so I'm shopping and so far Safeco has a good price.

Hope this helps.

Dan Moore
St Charles, MO

PS Don't ask for a refund back to Sept as a previous poster said You'll get screwed.
I did talk to Foremost directly. I was on the phone over an hour with three different people. The bottom line is they don't insure any motorcycle that has been modified from the original configuration. If the MC started out as a trike like the Can Am Spyder, that would be ok but not a converted two wheeler to a trike. They also said any accessory coverage would cap out at $3500. My trailer and two helmets will eat that up with little to spare.

Thanks for the PS about the refund. I'm not sure exactly how I'd get screwed but I'll check into it.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I did talk to Foremost directly. I was on the phone over an hour with three different people. The bottom line is they don't insure any motorcycle that has been modified from the original configuration. If the MC started out as a trike like the Can Am Spyder, that would be ok but not a converted two wheeler to a trike. They also said any accessory coverage would cap out at $3500. My trailer and two helmets will eat that up with little to spare.

Thanks for the PS about the refund. I'm not sure exactly how I'd get screwed but I'll check into it.
This subject comes up for discussion frequently. My advice is:
(1) Don't accept the first "No"
(2) Talk with the agent that writes your other insurance (home, cars, business, etc.)
(3) What I paid has little or no bearing on what you may be quoted. There are too many variables.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have Farm Bureau insurance and pay somewhere around $700. I gave them copies of every accessory I added including the trike kit. This amount came to around $47000 and that is what they insured my trike for. I also have a 1 million dollar blanket policy in case I cause a wreck. You do not have to be a farmer to get Farm Bureau. I had Progressive at one time, what a joke that was. Charley

·
Registered
277 Posts
Re: my PS was about you cancelling back to Sept. That would result in you not being considered as having continuous insurance and missing that discount which is usually a substanisal amount. Plus the State may come after your plates if they find out you don't have insurance. The refund would probably not be on true pro-rated basis anyway further increasing your cost. I still think that your agent misclassified your trike as something that an individual constructed the trike and was not a factory built trike kit. Good luck.

Dan Moore
St Charles MO

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I had Foremost for three years with my CSC trike. Had it insured for the agreed upon value of $42,000. I now have a Spyder and shopped around, Progressive was $1100, Geico was $990, Foremost was $600. And the winner, Dairyland for $313.75. So, prices are all over the place. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

In preparation for having my bike triked and after reading this post I decided to check with my insurance provider, GEICO, about how triking the bike was going to affect my insurance. Plus it gave me an opportunity to vent about the significant increase (95%) in the cost of my policy since our unfortunate slip sliding dismount at the hands of Mother Nature...it was the as-phalt, not mine. Well as it turns out, there will be no increase in my premium when I add the trike kit to the bike. Although the total value of the insured bike will increase significantly, the cost to insure will remain the same. That's just what others said but I needed to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds to "good" to be true,,,,,
Especially with Insurance Companies

Read that Policy VERY carefully.
Coverage going Up dramatically without a Premium increase?

That Dog don't hunt and there is a BIG Devil in those details.
Be careful my Cajun Friend.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I use Dairy Land, They added extra coverage as a accessory to cover the difference. Total coverage is around $40,000 total.
Dairy Land is the oldest motorcycle insurance company.
I used Progressive for many years then I changed to Dairy Land because my bill dropped from $2,800 a year to $1,200 a year with better coverage.

I always call the insurance company direct to make sure.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm going to pay the local Geico office a visit next week to get the details in writing. As a check, I contacted Foremost and it turned out that their premium was within $3 of Geico for same coverage on trike.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Foremost is a highly Reputable and time Proven Company for Trike Owners.
For 3 Bucks,,, No Brainer. Foremost.

Especially if Member of AARP. To get AARP Special Rate, you need to call AARP and talk to the Foremost Agents In-House.
Awesome Rates and Incredible Coverage and Service you can trust and count on.

*Not a Paid Spokesperson for any Insurance Company.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Especially if Member of AARP. To get AARP Special Rate, you need to call AARP and talk to the Foremost Agents In-House.

I have Foremost---thanks for the heads-up--I'll keep this in mind when renewal comes up.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Too good to be true

If it sounds too good to be true....you can bet the Santa Suit it is!

Went to the local Geico office and discussed a change in my current policy from a two wheel bike ($22,000) to a trike ($39,000). As expected, the dude I spoke with Saturday on the phone was full of crap....he said my premium would not change, turns out it will increase by $420/year......just as expected....

So now I need to do some shopping....Geico, Progressive, Foremost, .....too bad that for the next 24 months I have to answer Yes to the question..."Did you have any at-fault accident claims in the past 36 months?".....

·
Registered
10,849 Posts

Good. Just be sure the compaerison does indeed compare apples with apples. The devil is in the details.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts