GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I once had a 89 wing with a motor trike kit.I see a lot of improvement has been made since then.I see that Roadsmith is just a little narrower than the others. It looks like it will fit in the back of my truck.Is that correct? I know that my 89 motor trike was narrow compared to the new ones. It was solid axle.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
From their website

Overall Width 55"
Wheelbase Length 69"
Overall Length 110"

With an 8' bed it would be 14 inches longer than the floor so guess it depends if the tailgate will handle the weight.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just took some measurements. My truck bed is 98-1/2" long x 60-1/2 wide.I should have at least 1 " on each side of clearance and if I hold the measuring stick on 78 "at the center of the front axel.(that's what I got from roadsmith website for wheel base) I get 89" to the front of the front tire. That should put the center of the rear wheel inside the bed about 9 ". It will be tight but should go without the tailgate

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I would NOT want to put a trike up in a pickup bed, but I think i'd rather do that than put a regular Goldwing up in a pickup truck bed.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would NOT want to put a trike up in a pickup bed, but I think i'd rather do that than put a regular Goldwing up in a pickup truck bed.
I put my wing in the back of the truck a few times each summer.I have a camper and like to take the bike with me when we go camping.I have looked at toy hauler campers ,but think they want to much for them,and they have to be really big to have enough useable space for me.Loading a goldwing in the back of a truck is scary the 1st few times I done it.I am getting down now,it don't seem so bad.I have looked at loaders and even thought about making a Bike loader. If I stay with a bike or go to a spyder,I have a loader picked out.If I go with a trike that will fit through the opening at the back of the bed,I think I can load with a full width aluminum ramp ,that will fold up to haul with me.The ramp I have been looking at will hold 1500 lbs. I feel that I am younger than most that make the move to 3 wheels.I just had a spinal fusion in my neck and after I ride for a few hrs ,when I stop I feel like I am still moving.This makes me wobble the bike some when I stop.The surgery I just had May help with that as well .It did fix the pain and weakness in my arm,which was the goal.I have a short inseam and am on my toes on the bike.In loose gravel pulling the aspen sentry,that's not to good at times.I am thinking 3 wheels might be the answer to these problems.I am not supposed to ride the bike until sept.So my riding season will be short this year.It would be a good time to do a conversion while I am not supposed to ride,and if the bike is not here I won't be tempted .

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Motor Trike is the narrowest. Roadsmith is 1-2 inches wider and is the longest. I have a Motor Trike Adventure kit on a 03 GL1800 and my friend has a Roadsmith on a 06 GL1800. He put his in a 8 ft pickup and the wheels were on the tailgate. And the tailgate was going to hit the jack on the trailer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts