GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this post is not allowed, please delete.
Does anyone have a preference of a trike manufacturer? I'm thinking it is ford vs chevy type of personal choice, but I was wondering if there was a certain model to steer clear of. Also, I'm trying to find a "Trike Forum" ? If they exist. Maybe that is a better place for trike questions?
Again, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
There is a trike forum on here it's one of the sub-boards. As for trike manufacturer you are correct in thinking Ford vs Chevy. If you are considering a trike I would suggest you start by reviewing kit prices and try to compare prices while attempting to keep it in an apples to apples comparison which is a bit hard with the way they word things. I imagine you will find prices within $1,000 for the most part. Try to ride as many different kits as you can. After that just make your decision what kit you want and then find a installer that has a good reputation for installing that type kit. I personally ride a Hannigan and after narrowing my choices down to Hannigan or Roadsmith and taking a test ride on the exact same route I went with the Hannigan even though at the time I was 99% convinced I wanted a Roadsmith and wouldn't hesitate today to buy a Roadsmith. Sorry for the length but was hoping to hit the right points.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've owned a MotorTrike and my current California Side Car. Of the two I prefer CSC however in all fairness it is 6 years newer technology than the Motortrike. You might try Honda Trikes which I use all the time.
Bill

·
Registered
222 Posts
Look at the DFT trikes, they use the same final drive as the original on your GL. Also have independent suspension, which is adjustable. Had one built and picked up in March this year and am glad we went with DFT.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
RoadSmith here. In business 40+ years, Off the shelf parts 3 year 1,000,000 mile warranty
Plus the Factory is local to me- Having a good installer is a must no matter why brand you buy!

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Roadsmith trike for me! (BUT then again this was the only choice that I had) JUST BE CAFEFUL WHO BUILDS YOUR TRIKE FOR YOU....

Ronnie
text me (and I can tell you what builder to stay away from)

Try triketalk.com (this is a good forum to read)

Reactions: Tramppiper

·
Registered
431 Posts
CSC trike for us.
Ride as many as you can and like stated above pick a good installer.
Also go with a raked front end.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
If I was buying a Trike it would most likely be the Newer 3 cylinder CanAm Spyder, I believe it’s the only trike that comes from the factory equipped with power steering. Actually tried one out last year and loved it.

Here is a link to the trike forum associated with this board, they have trikes listed under sub forums so that makes it a little more difficult to find.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roadsmith trike for me! (BUT then again this was the only choice that I had) JUST BE CAFEFUL WHO BUILDS YOUR TRIKE FOR YOU....

Ronnie
text me (and I can tell you what builder to stay away from)

Try triketalk.com (this is a good forum to read)
Thanks Ronnie

·
Registered
774 Posts
If I was buying a Trike it would most likely be the Newer 3 cylinder CanAm Spyder, I believe it’s the only trike that comes from the factory equipped with power steering. Actually tried one out last year and loved it.

Here is a link to the trike forum associated with this board, they have trikes listed under sub forums so that makes it a little more difficult to find.
Yes, me as well. 2015 or newer 1330cc Spyder F3 could be in my future. Used, they are thousands cheaper than a GL1800 trike conversion. Took a 3-wheel MSF course and the Spyders proved most popular. But have a good Can Am dealer close-by. Maintenance is a tad pricier than our Gold Wings but no where near BMW pricing. Their reliability has improved vastly since their 2007 debut with 998cc engines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts