GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next year when I go to an 1800 I would like to feel a little better about putting a trike kit on it. Do you folks feel like it should be for senior citizens or can a younger guy (54!) be able to ride a trike without thinking he is getting old? I just love the looks of them and I have heard that after the initial jolt of not being able to lean into corners it becomes a very nice riding bike. I need help, please. I have been wrestling with this for a couple of years now. What are your feelings on the matter?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I am 55, and I think that my next one will be a Trike.

Heck what people think. Only thing that counts, is how you feel and think.

Bulldog

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
In my opinion you just need to decide if you want a "motorcycle" or a "trike". They are not the same thing! :(

Trikes are very popular down here. All ages are buying and riding them.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Good question

Ok, I am 45 & wife is 49. She has a GL1800 champion trike & loves it. I have a GL1800 bike & love it. But I have to tell you it is a blast to get on the trike & FLY. You just can not believe how well it will corner. That baby will fly around curves on it is on rails. I still like the feeling of leaning through the curves. I would be willing to bet that MY next one WILL be triked. Holly just loves it. Some of our friends have the wife ride with Holly when we go places. I think they relax more I know that I do & so does Holly. If you have any ? please feel free to email me.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Valk Rider, ride what you want, not what other people think you want.
You say you love the looks of a trike. Imagine how proud you'll feel riding one down the road, riding what you really want.
Your right, they do look great. Go for it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
trikes

It's called different strokes for different folks! What ever floats ur boat. I do like the looks of trikes, but my plan is to stay on 2 wheels as long as my health holds up. I would like to test drive an 1800 trike with the easy steer on it, i have been told the 1800 steers easier than the 1500 and does not need the ez steer as much.
JD 8)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Trike it You'll Like It!

Do what you think is right for you. Don't worry about what other people think. It takes a little time to get use to three wheels but when you do you will never go back to two. I have never spoken to anyone who has triked their bike that says that they would ever go back to two wheels.

If you decide to trike check out the Motor Trike. Boyd Motor Trike in Louisiana did a great job for me and I couldn't be happier!

Tom Victory

Happiness is never having to put your feet down at a stop!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sure would fix the problem of getting off without putting the kick stand down. Then all you will have to remember is what to do about the parking brake! :D
Seriously, both the wife and I have thought about when my knees say goodby. I will have to do it. At this point, I'm 58 (in 8 days)and am in good health. It is my goal to go out and ride on my 80th birthday! I'm sure it will be a trike by then :wink:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Red said:
In my opinion you just need to decide if you want a "motorcycle" or a "trike". They are not the same thing! :(

Trikes are very popular down here. All ages are buying and riding them.
Sure you can not lean into a corner but that is about the only thing you give up. Our 1800 with easy steer corners like a dream. We still have the view of the country side, wind in our face and the freedom that any bike affords.

We will not go back. In fact I have since sold all my two wheelers and now leave 99% of the driving to Judy.

I say hit the rallys this spring and find some dealers that will really let you take one for a test ride. Get out on the roads - not just the parking lot. Try as many brands as you can - then make your decisions. Look at all options but don't shop strictly on price. We really agonized over the floorboards or ground effects as they are called. The wife pointed out that it is very difficult to push the bike back (reverse is way to slow at times) with the boards so we scratched them off of our list.

I really liked the CSC with its new independent suspension but the wife opted for the Champion with its larger trunk. The other brands all had their pros and cons. We really liked Phil at http://www.utpr.com/roadrunner/ He only offered CSC and Champion. We felt that the other brands did not offer enough pros to outweigh a dealer that we liked.

Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts