GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still attempting to make a decision about trikeing my '06. Yesterday, I visited the local Can Am dealer and looked at the Spyder RT...nice machine.

Question is for you that have triked your Wing, did you consider the Spyder before trikeing and what are your thouhgts at this time. It's all about the same cash outlay....

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
I triked two of my Hondas, a Valkyrie and a Goldwing. Enjoyed them while I had them but the warranty and repair issue haunted me. So, I was hoping HOnda would develop a trike from scratch and get rid of all of the issues associated with hodge-podging a conversion onto the goldwing....they did not do it for 2012 release and does not appear to see one coming anytime soon. I looked at the CanAm and the Harley trike. The Harley won out and I went with the Harley TriGlide Ultra Classic. Am very happy with the quality, performance and especially warranty and network dealerships for maintenance/service.

Good luck on the decision.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am still attempting to make a decision about trikeing my '06. Yesterday, I visited the local Can Am dealer and looked at the Spyder RT...nice machine.

Question is for you that have triked your Wing, did you consider the Spyder before trikeing and what are your thouhgts at this time. It's all about the same cash outlay....
I thought about it.

The Spyder is more of a sport bike, the engine makes power at higher rpm, the riding position is more sporty, etc. The GL1800 trike is more of a cruiser/tourer. Which was what I wanted.

I can't quantify it, but satisfaction with GL1800 trikes long term seems to be higher.

The initial price of the wing trike is higher, but people complain about maintenance costs on the Spyder.

It's a decision, for sure, and for me, a clear one. But at least one member here has both, with no sign he's willing to give up either one. It's not that one is good, the other bad.

Here's the view from the other side:

http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/can-am-spyder-rt-discussion/683-spyder-vs-other-trikes.html

·
Registered
640 Posts
When you were growing up, did you ever see a tricycle with two wheels in the front and one in the back? I never did, so the Can Am's just look funny to me....

My friend that has a Harley trike, says that its gets the rider hotter than a Goldwing when you ride it, and not nearly as fast....he says my trike will run circles around his Harley trike...might be something due to the way they are geared....he also says the expenses for serviceing the Harley are way higher than the Goldwing....he wishes he had bought the Wing instead...

Mine is a 2008 Motortrike that was built at the factory and sold thru a local Honda dealer....so far it hasnt had any problems with over 20,000 miles....what little things that have happened have been handled by the Honda dealer (crome came off sidecover, knob in trunk for helmet release came out, remote quit working)...

Maybe Honda will come out with a trike one of these days, but guess we will wait and see.....ride the Can Am and see what you think...I heard from someone that I saw riding one, that they handled strange and were slower than the wing, and he owned a wing, and was riding the Can Am when they were serviceing his wing....

Rip
2008 Motortrike

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I did think about getting a Spyder but boss said I would have to get rid of one of my other toys. So triked my GL. Only have 5 lic and insured and 2 unlic ones.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
In 1991 a group of us went to Honda Homecoming at their Ohio Plant where the wings were made.
One of my friends had Motor Triked his 1990 wing.
We were parked in the Rally lot next to the plant when 6 workers came out in white coats and took a half hour measuring and photoing his trike.
Wow, we thought Honda would be making their own trike in a few years.
It's now 2011 and no trikes in sight.
They will never make one so the kits are the only way to go.
I also had heard a rumor a few years ago, that due to a lawsuit against Honda regarding the old 3 wheel ATV, they would never make a Goldwing Trike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Trike vs Spyder

Have you considered mpg ? I have been told the Spyder gets 24 mpg and you may expect, approximately 40 mpg from the GW trike.

Grandad 43

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
It may not make a difference to you, but most states treat trikes and motorcycles differently. Why do I point that out?

Because here in Nevada, state laws defines a trike (or rather trimobile) as having three wheels with two of them powered.

Thus, in Nevada, the Spyder is a motorcycle, not a trike. Thus, you HAVE to wear a helmet, you HAVE to have a motorcycle license, etc. Where with say a GL1800 Trike, you don't need a motorcycle license, nor you do you have to wear a helmet.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, since I already have a MC license to operate my GL1800 in SC and I always wear a helmet....it is a moot point....

tks

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It may never happen to anyone else, but....

A judge friend of mine bought a Can Am and had a trailer attached with intention of traveling from Tennessee to the west coast. He got as far as the Grand Canyon when it developed a short circuit and burned the whole system up. No one out that way could work on it so he ended up renting a U Haul and hauling it back home. Since then its been repaired.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My best friend has a Cam Am Spyder and I have a Goldwing Trike. We occasionally ride each others bike and I do not like the ergonomics of the Spyder. To me, its a crotch rocket on three wheels.

However, he likes it and that is what matters. He had a Burgman 650 Exec before the Can Am. He likes to be different.

I often ride 160 or more miles in a day and do not feel tired when I get off the trike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Spyder

Rode a Spyder RT at wing ding, absolutely fell in love, handled nice, and just fit me perfect, felt natural. I have a 2005 MT that I just put a rake kit on, worlds different now, but, and a big but, doing research, have found too many horror story's of electrical/mechanical issues on the Spyder. Like I told my wife, when I start seeing them with 150,000 miles and still going strong,, maybe then..Also too many for sale with very low mileage..

My 2 cents.........

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My friend bought the Spyder used in March. It was still under warranty - Good Thing as the only gear he could get it into was 1st.

The local dealer could not fix it. However, the manufacturer could not have been more helpful. They diagnosed the problem via the internet and shipped required parts air express at their expense.

They were very concerned as the dealership had the Spyder two weeks and was getting no where. BRP which makes the Spyder as well as Ski-do and Evanrude motors could not have been more helpful.

That said, I still prefer my Champion solid Axle Trike.

·
Registered
292 Posts
To answer the OP

Last year when I realized that I would either have to trike my 08 or go to the Spyder to keep the ability to ride 2up. I spent a good bit of time researching the Spyder and the trike option. I took a couple test rides on the Spyder and even though my wife prefers the Spyder I decided that triking was better for me.

Why? It came down to reliability! I know I can jump on a wing with 2 or 3 wheels and go cross country and have that peace of mind that it will be a uneventful ride mechanically, But the Spyder isn't there yet too many issues still to be ironed out.

Price wise I would have had the same amount tied up in triking mine or selling out and buying the Spyder.

In a couple years I will take another look and maybe move over to the spyder. It does have more storage and was as comfortable if not more so. Just needs some more time and a bigger motor

·
Registered
188 Posts
I looked over the spyder and did the demo, roadsmith won out. Only get 31 mpg though but spyder doesn't do any better. You'll find that some will claim 40 mpg with either setup... (I should learn to do math their way).
I am with you Steve. I have seen claims from 35 to 40 MPG from some Goldwing Trikers. They must be riding 50 MPH. I normally run about 30 MPG at around 65 MPH. As soon as I start running 70 or more MPH the MPG drops to 28. On a trip to Arkansas in May I got as high as 33 MPG on back roads running 60 MPH but that is the best I have ever done. Also on one run we found fuel with no ethenol and I got 34 MPH running 65.

If I got 35 MPG at 70 MPH I would be a happy camper.

Sunman

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had two trikes since 2000. I have owned a trike shop kit and presently own a 2008 with a motor trike kit that is considered to be solid axle. The Spyder will out ride either one. If I were seriously considering getting a trike, I would certainly consider the Spyder. I have ridden the top of the line Spyder and have had some long conversations with Fred Rau. The Spyder has some issues but in a few years it will be very serious competition to the wing.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I am with you Steve. I have seen claims from 35 to 40 MPG from some Goldwing Trikers. They must be riding 50 MPH. I normally run about 30 MPG at around 65 MPH. As soon as I start running 70 or more MPH the MPG drops to 28. On a trip to Arkansas in May I got as high as 33 MPG on back roads running 60 MPH but that is the best I have ever done. Also on one run we found fuel with no ethenol and I got 34 MPH running 65.

If I got 35 MPG at 70 MPH I would be a happy camper.

Sunman
I regularly get 33-34mpg with my trike riding 65-70. Now, 40mpg? That's just a pipe dream. At least we get to use reg. gas. HD, Can Am, BMW need premium. :wrong: Tom :biker:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I regularly get 33-34mpg with my trike riding 65-70. Now, 40mpg? That's just a pipe dream. At least we get to use reg. gas. HD, Can Am, BMW need premium. :wrong: Tom :biker:

No way any 40mpg trikes out there, unless your running down hill all the way like NORTH TO SOUTH, I drive fast but not that fast and I ave around 33 with a load on the trike, one up, no trailer! I beat feet because I like long days in the saddle, just my way of causing myself more pain which obviously I must enjoy:shrug:

S

·
0 Posts
I have had two trikes since 2000. I have owned a trike shop kit and presently own a 2008 with a motor trike kit that is considered to be solid axle. The Spyder will out ride either one. If I were seriously considering getting a trike, I would certainly consider the Spyder. I have ridden the top of the line Spyder and have had some long conversations with Fred Rau. The Spyder has some issues but in a few years it will be very serious competition to the wing.

I have to agree with you. I think this new three wheel technology is really going to become a driving force in the MC market. They are fun, easy to drive but at the same time require some skill to handle correctly. The spyder is just the first to become popular but others will soon be offering challengers and the end result will be a more refined and reliable product. Right now the spyder does suffer from some problems. To many safety controls, bearing failures due to over tightened drive belts and an engine that just needs to be replaced. In time and as the Japanese jump into the mix this will change and improve.
Right now the spyder is just not quite there but it's close.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts