GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting closer to going with a trike conversion. I have been checking this board for some time and have asked a question or two about sidecar vs trike and have decided to go with a trike in the future.

My question is simply that I have decided when the time comes to go with the Trike Shop conversion but never seem to see that much talked about them.

The CSC seems to be the most popular choice so I was looking for any Trike Shop people to comment on their conversion.

Looking forward to any thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have researcher the Trike Shop since 1992. I've been to the factory in
White Bear Lake, MN twice, and was impressed. I had even thought about getting a dealer ship in my area of Florida. I finally decided to convert my 2005 Silver during Biketoberfest 2005, but would have the actual word done at BikeWeek 2006. That worked out for my schedule. I had the bike converted during BikeWeek 2006, it had 16,000 miles on the odometer. The conversion took 2 days, and I drove it home. After about 10,000 miles I was finally used to the trike. Getting the setting, air pressure and tire pressure set to our liking and getting used to driving instead of riding took some time. I may be a slow learner. Our trike now has 40,000 miles on it, we don't let it sit. I am riding as well, if now faster than I did with the bike. The wife complains that I'm trying to throw her off. Something she had to get used to. Our longest trip was to Upper Michigan, across Canada into Toronto, Niagara Falls and home, all on back roads.
We have had only one problem. That has been bad gas sticking the sensor in the extra gas tank, but that goes away.
In my oppnion it's a great trike. Others make great ones too, but for the money and the service, and the folks at the Trike Shop, Daytona, you can't beat them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jwen,

We have a '04 CBCherry Trikeshop with 40,000miles on it and have not had any problems yet. I did meet with the owners in White bear lake, MN and go through their manufacturing plant before I purchased mine and I was really impressed with everything. We did look at some of the other ones out there but for my wife and I we felt that the Trikeshop was the best for us.

The other trikes all had some good pluses and goo features too.

Good luck with you trike shopping. They are not that hard to get used to driving, I got used to it within about 100miles and loving every mile spent on it.

Merry Christmas....

MP

·
Registered
139 Posts
This reply probably won't mean much to you; but in our final trike evaluation matrix after 2 years of looking and riding, the Trike Shop/Roadsmith was our #2 choice. The CSC Cobra was "out" in our first cut.
Good Luck
Mike

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Mike,

What did you go with then?

·
Registered
72 Posts
We spent over a year doing the research and Trike Shop ended up being the one for us and our 2003 1800. We listed the things that were imprtant to us and then compared seven different kits to see which one met the most requirements. Trike Shop actually suprised me because I hadn't originally thought much about it. The trunk space coupled with independent suspension went a long way in putting them in first place, for us. We put about 15k miles on it this year and have loved every minute of it. It rides very smoothly which the wife really appreciates, and it handles as well as I want in the turns. We opted for the optional running boards and are really glad we spent the extra bucks. They make a huge difference in the rain and wind, and most people agree that they add a great deal to the looks of the bike. The kit is longer than most and the boards help tie the bike front end and the trike rear end together as a total package. I couldn't be happier with the service from TS either. I installed the kit and anytime I had a question all I had to do was give a call, and I got their undivided attention. Great people to deal with. I know there are other very good kits out there because we drove most of them and talked with or listened to hundreds of owners before making our decision, but we know now we made the right decision. BTW, CSC was high on our list but the tiny little trunk knocked it out of the race. It didn't come close to what the TS offered for space.
Good luck and I know you're going to love whatever you end up with.
I was concerned about how long it would take me to get used to the trike after 40 years on two wheels, about 200 miles did it for me. I simply love riding this thing.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies so far.

One other question I have is would you consider triking a bike with over 70K or think about starting with a new one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I myself ride a DFT on a 2006 1800 Gold Wing.

A close friend of mine, professionally builds both Honda and Harley DFT and the Trike Shop kits.

He himself owns and rides a DFT.

We think they are the best, but maybe it is their higher cost that keeps them from being as well known as some of the others.

See DFT.com, or just search, DFT trikes

Shame on DFT for failing to advertise as much as their compation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
trike shop

Road others but this was my pick. Just a personal preference as there are some differences but it is what fits you the best that counts. It took around 1000 miles to really get used too but now I am very comfortable on a trike.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Stan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Roadsmith 1800 Trike

I am happy to read that I am not the only Roadsmith Trike on the road. You really don't hear to much about this company. Back in 96 I triked out my wifes 95 Wing mainly because of the longer wheel base, the CV joints that he was using and the simplicity of his design and installation. The longer wheel base and independent suspension certainly contributed to the good ride. The wheel base is extended appro 12 inches. I used the bike on and off after her passing in 98 and just had my 04 wing triked last month with the Roadsmith 1800 kit with the floorboards and extra fuel tank. Not being able to feel comfortable holding up the 1800 any longer I had no choice but to trike it out if I wished to continue riding. I used the same company again. I was only able to get 300 miles on it before the snow took over our country and I will tell you this, that I have no reservations whatsoever in recommending this Roadsmith kit to anyone who is entertaining the thought of triking their bike. - - - the ole geezer

·
Registered
139 Posts
jwen,
The short answer is: we went with a Champion. The choice was more a function of dealer location(s). In reality the TS/RS and Hannigan trikes were tied at the end of our eval. The tie-breaker was the longevity of TS in the business. Neither of the two brands had a "local" dealership, or one that was easily gotten to from my home.
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
TS Roadsmith

I've been looking at Trikes for a little over a year now,and visited numerous dealers and some manufactures establishments.
There is no doubt they all have their good points.
I think it mostly depends on an individuals mind set on what style they like
and what needs they feel will suit their type of riding.
No different than some like Chevy some Ford and others Dodge etc.
As for me, well I put money down two weeks ago on a Trike shop Roadsmith
for my 1800 Goldwing.It seemed like the right fit for me. I can hardly wait to get started on the transformation to go from bike to trike.
Yes,it also goes to say that being in business for as long as they have been weighed in heavily.
I hope the trike business continues to go in popularity.
I am catching a lot of flack over being to young to ride a trike,but I just think I'm ahead of my time. :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
dakota12,
I have often posted that a specific trike choice comes down to "other factors" than just the IRS vs. SA debate. It is a matter of the sum of a lot of considerations.
Know well the experience of getting flack about being too young to be on a trike. We too feel we are ahead of the times. There is no doubt the trike market is growing. Maybe we'll be a force to be reakoned with soon. Let's hope. For the industry to get better there has to be a public demand for it to get better. To date the manufacturers have dictated to the public. All you have to do is read the trike boards and see there is plenty of room for improvement in this segment of the marketplace.
Mike

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems that this summer will be the deciding factor in weather I trike or not. I want to see if I can handle the bike on our first trip which will be to Texas for a board gathering and we will leave WI on the 24th of March.

Having said that I will be dropping by Hatefield Motor Sports as he has just finished training for TS conversions and most likely could handle a trade of my 05 if I decide to trike this year.

I probably have been wishy washy in this since my heart is with the two wheels but I imagine that most of you have gone through this process as well.

Thanks for all the great comments in this thread!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts