GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse me for my lack of basic knowledge on the Goldwing trike rake options. I do not own a trike but am here trying to get some info for my friend who has a 2006 Wing with the CSC trike. When he had the bike converted to a trike he opted for the " EZ steer " rake kit to be installed. After riding the trike he now feels that the steering is TOO sensitive and doesn't feel at ease on the highway at speed. He is thinking of changing the rake back to the original. I am trying to get opinions on this, will he regret this move or is it true, that the EZ steer rake IS more senstive at high speeds. What exactly is changed from the original as far as handling goes? Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just be careful and ride on ,after about a thousand miles it will feel great.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey I agree with Gene. I had my 2005 Goldwing triked with a Trike Shop Roadsmith conversion kit with a 5 1/2 rake kit. I started riding it slow and wondered what I got myself into until about 200 miles or so then thought yes they were right it will take alittle time to get used to it. I sure love my rake kit now and wouldn't be without it now!! Take your time and have fun!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just be careful and ride on ,after about a thousand miles it will feel great.
:agree: Tell your friend not to grip the bars too tight (or hard) as this usually causes very slight darting. A more relaxed grip (about the same as when riding two-wheeler) gives you better control. The forward force tends to center the front wheel on straight level roads when you have EZ-Steer more so than without it IMHO or at least more pressure is required to turn without EZ-Steer than with. I feel that it would be a mistake for your friend to change until he has given it a chance (at least 1,000 mi. as stated in quote above).

·
Registered
973 Posts
He's just used to having to provide more input. Tell your friend not to change back. Tell him to just ride it around and not worry about it, pretty soon he'll be blasting down the highway as fast as ever.

Yes, it steers easier (EZ Steer!) but don't try to man handle it. The trike will go pretty much straight if he lets it, so let it! A gentle push at speed will allow a fluid lane change and at lower speeds the lighter steering input makes it a more manuverable machine.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I agree with all of the above. If your friend bought the trike with miles on the EZ Steer and it seems "loose", it might need the triple tree torqued to 80psi. I rode my trike 12K, installed a rake triple tree and rode it another 12K. Checked and the nut and it was loose. Tigtened it and....wala.... it is now great.

p.s. If your friend has the triple tree torqued to 80psi (that is what the book says, but some wrenches wince when torqing that tight), torque it, wig wag the handle bars back and forth a couple of times, torque again, wig wag again and torque again, the do it the final time until you get no click on the torque wrench...then it will be right on....

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Well, he is right to a point. If you rake it out, it becomes a lot more sensitive and the steering a lot less hard. However, at higher speeds it can become sensitive and to the newer rider a little on the scary side. On the other hand, you loose a little in the lock-to-lock steering performance, making a U turn a little longer.

Personally, I have tried both - rode a raked CSC and have a non-raked MotorTrike. The rake kit made the CSC feel like power steering, but I felt I lost a little in maneuverability. The stock MotorTrike was just terrible - hard to steer, chased road snakes, wandered all over, but was very maneuverability. Does a U turn on a dime.

I decided to rake the MotorTrike, but first decided to try a TRAXXION AK 20 cartridge front end. Night and day, and the problem solved. Steering smooth, no wandering, rode smoother, but maintained the maneuverability. Not as light as a rake kit, but just the way I like it.

So, its back to what do you want. Not all black and not all white.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If he can do the switch back hisself have him do, but be fair and ride a 1000 miles before he does it. I like the fact that I can run 65 or 75 mph and do it for 200 miles and be able to get off and NOT feel like I pumped iron for 3 hours.
If he can do it and not cost hisself a lot of money, than do it but be fair to both setups, then he'll know what he wants.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the info. I will give my friend all I've read here. Someday in the future I may trike mine and will consider what I read here also. IR Harry, I am not familiar with the Traxxion AK 20 cartridge. What is it? Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
steering

As some have indicated, probably need to re-check the stem bearing torque. The top nut for the upper clamp is a big nut and specs say 80 ft lbs. The one under the top clamp is the one that establishes the bearing loading and it should be torqued at 30 to 35# - lots of differing opinions.... Regardless, with no steering kit a trike just wants to go straight and takes effort to turn. With a steering kit after riding for a few miles it will not feel sensitive, just like adding power steering - I think it would be a mistake to remove the kit......JMHO...
Charlie

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. I will give my friend all I've read here. Someday in the future I may trike mine and will consider what I read here also. IR Harry, I am not familiar with the Traxxion AK 20 cartridge. What is it? Thanks.
Here is a link well worth reading http://www.traxxion.com/

But in a nutshell, it takes the insides of the fork tubes of a stock wing out (one side has a shock, other side is totally differrent and has an anti-dive that tends to sieze over time) and puts cartridge systems in both side. I noticed a HUGE difference in the change on a two wheel wing - rode better, did away with head shake, added stability, and would recommend it for the serious winger that travels a lot.

When I got the trike, was going to rake it because the handling of the stock non-raked unit just plain sucked. But went to the TRAXXION first, and it did exactly what I wanted it to do, so skipped the rake kit.

If you got a two wheeler wing, may want to check out and road test a TRAXXION set-up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ElBando , Does your friend still have the OEM tire on the front?
Because that in it'self can cause some bad handleing!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ElBando , Does your friend still have the OEM tire on the front?
Because that in it'self can cause some bad handleing!
Nubby, yes he does have the stock Dunlop on the front. I told him to purchase the Michelin Pilot Actv and reverse the rotation ( as advised on this board ) although he hasn't done that yet. I just spoke with him a short while ago and mentioned all the info that was given to me on this post. He did admit to gripping the handlebars a little tight. He is just getting back to riding after many years so he needs some polishing up on technique. Another thing I found out...in order to get a softer ride he tells me he is running 24 to 26 psi in the front tire...I told him that was a bad idea and to run 36 psi. We'll see what happens now.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IR Harry, thanks for the link. It all sounds good, a little expensive but I might look into it. I feel my Goldwing handles well but my wife complains about the bumps ( she yelps like a beagle when we hit a bump ) and Pennsylvania is famous for its potholes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would run 41 psi in the front.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts