GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I get a lot of help from this forum. And I most certainly appreciate it. Some of you may have read my recently posted thread about my findings on my rear shock 0-25 pump-up test which, revealed the shock pump, would not change tone until it hit 16 on the scale, NOT GOOD. So, as usual, I consulted on here, also the Service manual (which was totally useless in this situation) and, good ole' Fred Harmon's videos. I followed all the informational steps and, when done, we had a much better ride.

But, in my inquiry, I also was asking about the bennies of a 2012 and up, shock. Specifically from a Trike take off. Well, there was, also as usual, a bit of debate. But, it seems that the folks on here that do work on Wings, and rear suspension components, have stated that the springs on the Wings, rear ones anyways, can and do SAG. They get weak. And, that going from a sagged, worn or higher mileage spring on an older 1800, to a '12 or newer with limited or if possible, ZERO mileage on it, is a good plan.

But, the experts also say, you really don't need to go to a '12 or newer spring. Just go get a NEW GL1800 rear spring of any year. Because it would be NEW, it would work just as well as a '12 or newer, from a trike take off. Well, in the days BEFORE the trike take off stuff got popular, one could pick up a '12 or newer, with very, very few miles and in some cases, ZERO miles, for around $40-$50 or so. That's a great deal. But, in my searches, including ebay etc., I'm finding prices hover in the $300 or more range and, many of those have as high as 17K to 30K miles. Well, what good would those do, if you pay anywhere near that much and, have that many miles on them? Not to mention, just how "Honest" are some of these trike places. By that I mean, you see a "Trike take off" rear shock on ebay and, it has SUPPOSEDLY 100 or, NO, or, 1,000 miles on it. Heck, all they have to do is clean it up a bit and it would look like brand new and, it could have 50K miles on it. And there is absolutely NO way to tell just how many miles are on it.

So, I have a question or two about options. I was goofing around on Wingstuffs site and came up with this:

http://wingstuff.com/products/3216-rear-shock-spring?from_search=1

It's a brand new rear spring by "Progressive". And, it's $89. The ratings/reviews are all great. Now, no matter whos official HONDA website I cruise around on, it always takes me weeks to get to a price for something. So, with that being said, I have no idea what brand new original, OEM rear spring would cost so, I don't have a comparison of the prices between that one from Wingstuff, and a Honda OEM one.

One more thing. I forgot who did it but, on my thread about my shock pump findings, there was a listing of shock spring loads for various years. And, based on that one listing, the shock spring load rating of our '08, is actually higher than a 2012 shock spring. Not sure what that's all about since, it's been said on this forum that a '12 is a higher load rated spring.

Aaaaaaannnnnyyywaaaaaay, our Wing, an '08 with a mear 32K miles on it, is in need of something to improve the rear suspension, even though it's considerably better now, after the rear shock service and adding of oil to the pre-load system. We ride two up, about 98% of the time. We're not road racers. But, we're, well, ahmmmm, not the lightest people either. So, I'm thinking that, the BRAND NEW SPRING from Wingstuff, might be a better deal all the way around. It's GUARANTEED to be new, with ZERO miles on it. But, here's another question. There are some of you that are like me, a bit of MacGyver instincts are present. In that, some of you have actually made spring compressors.

Some, have purchased them from various suppliers. So, may I ask, who's made them, and if so, would it be possible to get some form of plans from you? And, who's purchased them, from who, to get the best deal, on a spring compressor? I'm also assuming that, a spring compressor is a spring compressor, no matter who supplies it, correct? I realize that, removing the shock, is quite an undertaking. I've not viewed the FH video yet but, that's in the plans for later today. Thanks for anyone's help here. Very much appreciated.
Scott

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
My local Advance auto will let me use a spring compressor. They have one they will “sell” me. I buy it, use it and take it back for a full refund. Have done it a grand total of twice. No reason for me to buy and keep when I can buy and return free...

YMMV!

::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
As far as a brand new 12+ rear shock spring, it is not sold separately. You would have to purchase the entire unit which includes the shock and the reservoir. It retails for $832 but can be found for a little less. Partzilla lists it at $549.12 here:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2014/gl1800c-3ac-gold-wing/rear-shock-absorber

I also swapped out the spring on my 07 for the Progressive rear spring and it was way better than the stock spring. When I bought the bike used, it had about 35,000 miles. The Progressive spring is probably going to be your best bet for a budget rear suspension upgrade and I dont think you will be disappointed.
And the Wingstuff price is very good. If you also create an account over at https://www.cyclemax.com/home

you can buy it there at the VIP price of $89 as well. You wont go wrong with either Wingstuff or Cyclemax. I personally lean towards Cyclemax as it is closer to me.and has always had what I wanted/needed at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts

One more thing. I forgot who did it but, on my thread about my shock pump findings, there was a listing of shock spring loads for various years. And, based on that one listing, the shock spring load rating of our '08, is actually higher than a 2012 shock spring. Not sure what that's all about since, it's been said on this forum that a '12 is a higher load rated spring.

Scott
I think this is the information you are referring to,

I stand corrected, and it represents why I cannot count on what a representative from Honda might say. In almost all cases, one can only trust what Honda puts in writing. Below is what is written in their Service Manual.

Max weight capacity:
2001 - 2005 = 417lbs
2006 - 2008 = 410 - 418 lbs
2009 - 2010 = 410 - 419 lbs
2012 - 2017 = 410 lbs
I think you are mis-interpreting this information. I don't believe that tells us anything about the spring load capacity of the shock. That is nothing more than Honda's max recommended load capacity of the bike.

I also think if you have the wet weight numbers of those bikes you will see similar differences, ie, I'm guessing the 12-17's weigh more.

As always, I could be wrong.

Reactions: SteelTraveler

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I just replaced my rear spring with the Progressive and the difference is very noticeable. If you're on a budget, for the price you can't go wrong. Traxxion sells the spring compression tool for about $44, which makes replacing that spring way easier. Progressive also sells a similar tool, but the one commonly sold on line won't fit the Goldwing shock (don't ask me how I know :mad:). Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think MountainRider has it right go and buy the right tool to do the job. You will be able to pass it on to someone else at a affordable price latter on then everyone wins . If you can not afford the tool then maybe someone on here might have one that they can lend you. This is what I have done for a few people that I done know . If i have the tool then they give me $50.00 and when i get it back then i give them back there money . So fare it has worked but then i only have done it twice.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I just replaced my rear spring with the Progressive and the difference is very noticeable. If you're on a budget, for the price you can't go wrong. Traxxion sells the spring compression tool for about $44, which makes replacing that spring way easier. Progressive also sells a similar tool, but the one commonly sold on line won't fit the Goldwing shock (don't ask me how I know :mad:). Good luck and ride safe.

I wish that tool had been available when I did my rear spring. I did mine after watching YouTube and used a floor jack with ratchet straps. Definitely not the safest way to do it. It worked but did pop off once during the disassembly and was a bit concerning. Those springs are under a bit of pressure! ?

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The weight capacity refered is to load on bike, the load capacity for the spring was increased according to Fred Harmon...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Traxxion Dynamics has the tool available on eBay for $44.95 + $10.00 Shipping. ($54.95 Total)

This is $5.00 less than it can be acquired via their website. This is because the lowest shipping cost on their website is $15.00.

Sooner or later I'll need this tool. So I just bought one via their eBay site. Search for the string <GL1800 GoldWing Shock Spring Compressor> and it'll come up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I purchased a new take off shock from https://rodspowersports.com/ in Lincoln. IIRC it was like $100. I also ordered the progressive spring from them. I had them in stall the spring. That was like $20. So, for about $200 I got the whole thing. I lived in Omaha but I am sure they could have shipped it.

We only had 30,000 miles on the bike so maybe the original shock would have been fine with the new spring. But, if I am going that deep into the bike to change the shock, I put on a new one. It took me 8 hours to change out a shock the first time. Less then 6 hours on my second wing.

So, call a couple trike conversion dealers about the shock. A couple eBay trike shop are very proud of their take off parts. Some are happy to sell cheap. I picked up a new take off final drive unit from Apex Power Sports in Colorado Springs. They probably have shocks sitting around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts