GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended a scheduled maintenance day that my local GWRRA chapter held this morning. One of the bikes there was a trike with a side car. I've seen Goldwing trikes and Goldwings with sidecars, but this was the first with both! When he pulled out of the garage, it looked wider from the back than any car. Pretty cool! He said he averages 28 to 32 MPG on it...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Was that the Tricar from hannigan motorsports?

·
Banned
350 Posts
Is not any motorcycle with a sidecar a trike by definition as it has three wheels designed to be on the ground at highway speed and is therefore a tricycle?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
And a trike with a sidecar would have 4 wheels. There for it's not a motorcycle.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Is not any motorcycle with a sidecar a trike by definition as it has three wheels designed to be on the ground at highway speed and is therefore a tricycle?
A Trike has the 2 rear wheels extended equidistant to the sides of the bike. A bike w/ a side car is just that. It is not a trike.

And a trike with a sidecar would have 4 wheels. There for it's not a motorcycle.
This is a joke-right?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Now I love motorcycles as much as the next guy or gal, but for thousands less than the TriCar, you can get a convertible sports car with HVAC, TPMS, cruise control, comfortable (for long distances) heated seats, top-of-the-line stereo/CD system, bluetooth, darkside tires, manual or automatic transmission, xenon headlights/fogs, power windows, keyless entry, power outlet, cup holders, adjustable leather seats, full instrumentation, trip computer, front and side airbags, ABS, anti-theft system, etc. etc. Having ridden a trike and Spyder (but not a TriCar) and now owning a sports car, I have gained a great appreciation for the latter. It handles better and is far more fun/comfortable over distances than the three-wheelers.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Now I love motorcycles as much as the next guy or gal, but for thousands less than the TriCar, you can get a convertible sports car with HVAC, TPMS, cruise control, comfortable (for long distances) heated seats, top-of-the-line stereo/CD system, bluetooth, darkside tires, manual or automatic transmission, xenon headlights/fogs, power windows, keyless entry, power outlet, cup holders, adjustable leather seats, full instrumentation, trip computer, front and side airbags, ABS, anti-theft system, etc. etc. Having ridden a trike and Spyder (but not a TriCar) and now owning a sports car, I have gained a great appreciation for the latter. It handles better and is far more fun/comfortable over distances than the
I'm with you. It's called a Miata.:agree:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I'm with #9 and # 10 !! I had an old miata with 5 speed manual transmission (1990 or 1991 that I bought used). Also had a porsche boxster with tiptronic transmission (2000). The miata was more "fun" to drive though the boxster was the "better" car. Value per dollar spent went to the miata.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still pretty cool though! :cool:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Now I love motorcycles as much as the next guy or gal, but for thousands less than the TriCar, you can get a convertible sports car with ....
And you wouldn't have to wear a helmet and it would have better foul weather protection. Hmmmm.....

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Now I love motorcycles as much as the next guy or gal, but for thousands less than the TriCar, you can get a convertible sports car with HVAC, TPMS, cruise control, comfortable (for long distances) heated seats, top-of-the-line stereo/CD system, bluetooth, darkside tires, manual or automatic transmission, xenon headlights/fogs, power windows, keyless entry, power outlet, cup holders, adjustable leather seats, full instrumentation, trip computer, front and side airbags, ABS, anti-theft system, etc. etc. Having ridden a trike and Spyder (but not a TriCar) and now owning a sports car, I have gained a great appreciation for the latter. It handles better and is far more fun/comfortable over distances than the three-wheelers.
While I agree with most of your statement, there are those of us that still want to ride astride a bike, 2 or 3 wheeled. I enjoy my trike, as does my wife.
I would challenge the "handles better" comment but, each to his own opinion.
I do disagree w/the "more fun" but, again to each his own.
I to, would be driving a Solstice or a Sky before I would ride a Tri-Car but, for now I prefer my Wing/Hannigan Trike to being trapped in a cage!
Here's one for you (remember- each to his own) I, as well as my wife, consider the "ride" of the IRS Wing Hannigan to be better than either the Solstice or the Sky(both were GM products and the same cars. except for the "badging" to make one a Pontiac and the other a Saturn)
Also, most of the items you listed are also on my Wing along w/the keyless entry for my trunk:joke: I have a rear air bag but, I should not go there:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Gee, what's next? A trike with a sidecar pulling a trailer? Mind as well put a bicycle sproket by your feet for pedaling to help the already overstressed engine cope with the extra weight. What would you get then? A rig that gets 10 miles to the gallon or so. Hope that all your roads are downhill! Because you aint going up!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Gee, what's next? A trike with a sidecar pulling a trailer? Mind as well put a bicycle sproket by your feet for pedaling to help the already overstressed engine cope with the extra weight. What would you get then? A rig that gets 10 miles to the gallon or so. Hope that all your roads are downhill! Because you aint going up!
The Tri-car is not a trike w/a side car. It is a combination of both. Also, you can get a trailer hitch for it. I assure you the Wing has more than enough power to take care of the Tri-car and a trailer.
Mileage should be in the 30's depending on you throttle hand.
I know several are making humorous comments however, I am trying to give some useful info here, just in case someone would really be interested in checking on a Tri-car. Also-there is an AC option available for the enclosed sidecar.

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
The Tri Car is a trike, without the normal rear tire of the motorcycle. It is a trike...and would be the perfect vehicle in lieu of pulling a trailer and or carrying a large pet as the companion. In the days ahead, that might be the path I take.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
While I agree with most of your statement, there are those of us that still want to ride astride a bike, 2 or 3 wheeled. I enjoy my trike, as does my wife.
I would challenge the "handles better" comment but, each to his own opinion.
I do disagree w/the "more fun" but, again to each his own.
I to, would be driving a Solstice or a Sky before I would ride a Tri-Car but, for now I prefer my Wing/Hannigan Trike to being trapped in a cage!
Here's one for you (remember- each to his own) I, as well as my wife, consider the "ride" of the IRS Wing Hannigan to be better than either the Solstice or the Sky(both were GM products and the same cars. except for the "badging" to make one a Pontiac and the other a Saturn)
Also, most of the items you listed are also on my Wing along w/the keyless entry for my trunk:joke: I have a rear air bag but, I should not go there:eek:4:
About that "most of the items you listed are also on my Wing" thing: Somehow I don't think your Wing has a top-of-the-line Bose stereo, air conditioning (other than nature's own), keyless entry, ignition and trunk), 6-way adjustable seat, adjustable steering wheel/handlebar, 4 cup holders, trip computer, front and side airbags, built-in anti-theft system, Bilstein shocks, in-Dash 6-disc CD/MP3-compatible changer (operative word is in-dash), DSC/TCS control, 7200 RPM redline, climate control, built-in manual or powered rain/weather cover, windshield wipers, etc. etc. I could be wrong though. :lol:

PS: Because the car was a manual 6-speed stick and not a paddle shift auto, it sat on the dealer's showroom last winter and, times being what they are, we picked it up for a lot less than a new
Wing, a whole lot less than a trike and a really whole lot less than that sidecar trike thing (think 10K less).

·
Registered
247 Posts
you keep forgetting one option the cars have A HEATER they can be real nice to have. also the wife can drive so when you get there you are rested and they can complain they need to take a nap

·
Registered
82 Posts
About that "most of the items you listed are also on my Wing" thing: Somehow I don't think your Wing has a top-of-the-line Bose stereo, air conditioning (other than nature's own), keyless entry, ignition and trunk), 6-way adjustable seat, adjustable steering wheel/handlebar, 4 cup holders, trip computer, front and side airbags, built-in anti-theft system, Bilstein shocks, in-Dash 6-disc CD/MP3-compatible changer (operative word is in-dash), DSC/TCS control, 7200 RPM redline, climate control, built-in manual or powered rain/weather cover, windshield wipers, etc. etc. I could be wrong though. :lol:

PS: Because the car was a manual 6-speed stick and not a paddle shift auto, it sat on the dealer's showroom last winter and, times being what they are, we picked it up for a lot less than a new
Wing, a whole lot less than a trike and a really whole lot less than that sidecar trike thing (think 10K less).
A car is a car and a trike is STILL a bike . I will take a trike over a topless car. But that is just me .
It does sound like a nice car. How about some pictures?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts