GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Church riders are planning an Iron Butt ride

I'm the only Trike that rides on most of the local trips.

Most of the riders are All Americian M/C posers.
My concern was that my MPG might slow them down.

Any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Can you add an additional tank so that your stops are timed with theirs?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Even without an aux tank (assuming you didn't have one installed) you should be able to fill up right along with the other riders. We had it installed with our kit but typically don't touch the aux tank when we ride with HD touring bikes and they have to stop before we do, but not by much. We keep the aux tank full just in case and have had to use it to fill other bikes with smaller tanks who tried to stretch it. You should be fine.

·
Banned
146 Posts
tourtank.com makes a real easy inclusive package including the fittings if you dont have time to fabricate an aux tank your self

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
tourtank.com makes a real easy inclusive package including the fittings if you dont have time to fabricate an aux tank your self
If he ever wanted to go as far as installing an extra tank Hannigan (he also has a Hannigan Trike) offers their own 4 gallon vented aluminum aux tank. It is more $$ but is completly hidden, mounts to existing points on the Trike frame centered above the rear suspension, does not take up any storage or passenger room, has a flush SS filler mounted on the fender, and an automotive fuel pump w/filter for transfer to the main tank. With it my normal fuel load is over 10 gallons.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I would think you would be fine. You might want to ask he question to those you plan to ride with, when do you stop for fuel?

It is important to stay alert, take a break, stretch on a long run. 150 miles is about a quarter tank of fuel left and I for one never did push it past that, these bikes are too heavy to push.

Steady pace and stop for a break, each fill up, and you will still have time for a two hour nap.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Any thoughts on this.
Are you doing the Iron Butt Saddle Sore (1000 documented miles in 24 hours)? If so, you have plenty of time to complete the ride and shouldn't worry about slowing down the other riders. There is no need for speed, just don't take long breaks. If they are going to ride a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours), then constant riding and minimal stops is necessary. My Saddle Sore took me about 17 hours, and I stopped at the half way point and eat a little, and even stretched out on a picnic table later in the ride.

So have fun, and be careful with your documentation.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts

Any thoughts on this.
Do you have an auxillary fuel tank?

How long (miles) is the ride you are planning? Rather than riding in a pack, if there are more than about 3 machines, I recommend each riding at his/her own pace and and meeting up at the end of the day or perhaps at lunch. It will be more relaxing and safer, IMO.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

I'll look at some aux tanks.

This thread is academic
The Lard Azzes left Saturday and forgot to send me a reminder.
I win my wife and I weigh at least 40 kilos less than any of the couples in that cleque(sour grapes)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts