GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what others think of trikes including 3 wheelers such as the can am spyder compared to motorcycles. Do you consider them to be motorcycles and the riders motorcyclist or do you think of them as a completely different ride all of their own.

This question is being ask because of a conversation that I was having with someone recently. Myself I have always felt that they are within the motorcycle family but more like a distant cousin, but the riders are still motorcyclist.
The other person says that they definitely are not even in the motorcycle family, because motorcycles are only two wheels, and the riders are trikers not motorcyclist.

Kind of glad I did not get on the sidecar issue with him:shock:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
If you have to ride on it, instead of in it, then your seeking the same sensations I am.

I've received the same sense of freedom and pleasure from riding a quad in the woods that I get from riding a motorcyle.

2, 3 or 4 wheels doesn't matter to me, it's more your frame of mind than what's in contact with the road.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Two wheels are fun, when I can't ride on two wheels anymore I'll go the trike route.
I will still think of myself as a motorcyclist.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unlike you and your friend (apparently) I have ridden both and enjoy both. I don't have to guess because I know from experience.
And since you have ridden both ur opinion would be worth reading, and appreciated, but not ur normal 'who the hell cares' type response.

Hey I think trikes are cool, and even though different still in the same family as motorcycles and the riders are motorcyclist, and was hoping that unlike the person I was speaking with to be in the majority. It did get me to thinking about how many others feel the way he does. I think he is totally wrong myself.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Good to hear ur true opinion.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I haven't ridden trikes that much but a little on a 1500 Lehman Goldwing Trike that belongs to my riding buddy. He's definitely a motorcyclist and rides the trike because he has to for balance. He misses the lean in the curves but loves the trike for other reasons. It's a lot easier to 'ride' and allows him to stay in the sport. That's reason enough!

After riding a trike, I'm not sure I'll make the transition when I can no longer feel safe on the Wing but I guess I'll decide when that time comes.

Two or 3 wheels, we pretty much enjoy the same things so there's not much difference depending on which rider you are. Dave :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I test drove a spyder last summer, kind of a different feeling. The engine noise of the spyder reminds me of my old snowmobile.
I can't see anyone who has a goldwing swithching to a spyder.

I will probably trike my Wing when I no longer feel that I'm a safe rider on two wheels. Not too many years from now.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you have never ridden a trike or hacked two wheeler, and you like riding on a two wheeler, what the hell are you waiting for? To ride on three wheels aggressive you had better be in good shape because it is a work out. To ride around sharp corners at slower speeds you have to brake hard with your front brake while at the same time roll on the throttle in order to break traction with your rear wheel's. Does that not sound like a hoot?
As for being a motorcycle, if a unicycle had a motor would it be called a unimotorcycle? How about a bicycle if it had a motor maybe we should call it a bimotorcycle? So the word "motorcycle" does not denote how many wheels, and the standard trike has a clutch and brakes and a shift lever. So all I can say is if you have never ridden a trike or hacked motorcycle you can not have an informed opinion. My opinion is informed I have ridden trikes hacked motorcycles two wheeled motorcycles and the Can-Am Spyder and they are all motorcycles with a different handling characteristics. They all are a kick in the pants. I will get off the soap box now. I don't care what you ride, and motorcycles are like women once you try one you want to try em' all.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I went to a trike when I began having balance problems due to an inner ear infection. I felt real insecure on a bike, but didn't want to quit riding. Am now shopping for a new trike, gonna take a look at the spyder. If its good enough for Lamonster, it ought to be good enough for me. Plus its a little less expensive than a blinged out 1800. I know, not as much power, but at my age, I ain't gonna be racing anyway.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think bikes and trikes are all in the same family, and will probly have a trike some day when I can no longer support the weight of a bike.
The only one I have mixed feelings about is the one you side inside of like a car and even has a steering wheel like a car, ( sorry I can not remember what they are called) to me those are more of a three wheel car then a trike, and should not even be required to abide by the same laws as bike when it come to helmet laws etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A lot of the trike riders can no longer ride 2 wheels for physical reasons, but still want to get in the wind. Nothing wrong with that.

The biker thing, who the hell cares!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
There was a period in my life when I was having "balance problems" and so I rode a trike for awhile. Then I turned 4 yrs old and went to a two-wheeler. If I ever start having "balance problems" again, I'll go back to a trike.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I followed two Can Am "bikers" for several miles this weekend out of curiosity. The thing that struck me was here are two guys who just got into biking, decided to go with the Spyder as their choice of machine and didn't have a clue what they were doing. No road skills and scared me just watching them. I hope they made it safely to where ever they were headed! I am thinking the Can Am may make it too easy to hit the open road ........ :eek:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have never ridden a trike or hacked two wheeler, and you like riding on a two wheeler.....

I use to have a wing with a Ca sidecar. It was kind of cool and the kids loved riding in the hack, but it did not fit with the way I enjoy riding then or now. Having 3 bikes at the time that one was not used enough to keep. If the time every comes I will have to try out a trike as I have not been on one, but right now I think a hack would be what I would get again.

I don't care what you ride, and motorcycles are like women once you try one you want to try em' all.

You haven't seen some of the women I have then. I really need to stop going to Walmart:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I suppose trikes have a learning curve. I remember riding a 3 wheel ATV back in about 1980 that belonged to a buddy of mine. He said whatever you do don't put out your leg in a turn or that rear tire will run it over. Well I rode like 75ft and ran over my leg. I'd rather quit riding. So I ride and ride as long as I'm alive, but will never be on a trike, and I'll die on a motorcycle, I know that and have for 40 yrs, just not my time yet, but will be on 2 wheels, whether it today or 35 yrs from now.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If it has a motorcycle tag on it it is considered a motorcycle. Nothing hard about that... BUT! There are those who will never agree if they consider themselves bikers only and don'/do like the looks of trikes (probably afraid they will get laughed at by their so called friends). Even the Can Am Spyder engine in based on a motorcycle engine. Probably a Mr. Macho thing with some. I've heard people on this very forum say when they can't ride two wheels anymore they will hang it up before they would trike. As a guess I'd say they are afraid their friends will laugh at them. :shrug: I'd say if your friend laugh at you they probably weren't much for friends anyway. :shrug:

How true. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
474 Posts
If I could afford to trike mine I would. I called CA. Sidecar a couple of weeks ago and they want $12,000 out the door and that is without ground effects. As many here with trikes I think we do it because of our age and stability. anyway that is what I am thinking.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
If it has "handlebars", it's a motorcyle.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Should you be able to take your motorcycle license test on a trike? That license will allow you to legally ride a two wheeler and I dont think thats right. I think it should be a seperate classification. Trikes are cool but they are differient than a two wheeler.
Kurt :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts