GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to thinking about trikes and seeing the post "What I got Linda for our Anniverary" that LVWolfman posted in the trike section and a picture of his wife in the Stallion,
and his comment about triking out his orange '02 GL1800

Rick C. said: "The good news is that I'd be able to trike out my '02."

I don't know Rick, the mileage you have on your Goldwing but.........

My question is: At what age/mileage/condition would you folks consider converting your used GL1800 into a trike?

I know these GL1800 seem to last forever, but is it feasible at any age to invest in something used that may need major work, compared to buying new GL1800 and having it triked?

Thanks

You comments please.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wi_Winger said:
My question is: At what age/mileage/condition would you folks consider converting your used GL1800 into a trike?
A very good question....
Let me SEEE how many miles..... how much time or condition?
Ahhhhh... I think it was.......
Oh yes now I remember!!!!!

2 days / nine miles / brand spankin new

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
make darn sure you drive a goldwing trike--before--you invest the money

i rode two different trike brands and i didnt like the ride at all

for about the same money, or even less

my choice would be the stallion

air conditioning

heater

far better gas mileage

head turning style for sure

built much lower to the ground

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, triking a bike voids the warranty. That presents an interesting dilemma to me. I don't think I'd want to trike a brand new one and void the warranty at day one. I think the extended warranty is quite a bargain so I might get that on any Wing I bought and that takes me out to seven years. At seven years old, I'm not sure I'd want to put that much money (for a new trike kit) into that old of a bike. I'd almost think buying a three year old used bike that no longer qualifies for the extended warranty and triking it might be the way to go if the lack of extended warranty keep the price reasonable.

I don't know the prices at which used trikes actually sell, but it seems to me that their asking prices are way high relative to the untriked bikes. I see the same phenomenon in bikes with trailers for some reason, but those are topics for a separate thread.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My warranty is good until 2009 or something like that. It seems triking doesn't void your whole warranty, just bits affected by the conversion. Of course your DEALER might not honor the warranty just to not have to deal with it.

My '02 was first sold in '03 and I bought it in '04? (tired...) I think that's right, I've had it either one or two years now and have put only about 12,.000 miles on it. It has just a little less than 15,000 on it at the moment.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
The question was.....
At what age/mileage/condition would you folks consider converting your used GL1800 into a trike?
I would say I would have to be at least 70, pretty well worn out, and damn near terminal. Then I may need one to put my handicapped sticker on...... :lol: but it may be closer than I think...... :?

Oh, you meant the bike? :shock:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
My lady friend just triked a 1993 Goldwing with 13,000 miles on it and is loving every mile she is putting on it...

I enjoy riding it and can see one in my near future. My GL-1800 has only 205,000+ miles on it and runs like a new bike. See no reason not to trike it.

IR Harry, I am damn near 70, wore plumb out and am terminal !

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I'm a long way from 70 - over two years. But I am at the point where I am looking those trikes over really close.....as long as they have three wheels, not four with a built by hoveround..... :lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Triking is certainly an option so you can keep riding.

I have been thinking that when that day comes, I might get the Voyager kit installed. They can put it on in one day, while you wait if you like. Put one of those wicked car tires on your rear wheel and you are good to go.

Want to pull a trailer? No problem!
Trike is built for it, carries the load on the rear suspension.
Voyager carries the load without attachment to the bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't know if this is happening across the country; but in my neck of the woods (Indianapolis, IN) the two Honda only dealers are doing trikes. One represents the CSC Cobra, the other the Champion. I think this would solve the problem of warranty issues as long as you had one of these two trikes. As Honda dealers, they have to honor the Honda factory warranty both new and extended. As trike dealers, they have to honor the trike manufacturer's warranty. All bases are covered. At least that's what I am hoping since my '02 Wing is being converted to a Champion trike as we speak; but not by the Honda dealer because of costs reasons.
Anybody have experience with this scenario?
Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bought our wing used in march 2002 orange with 3500 miles with the purpose of haveng it triked, the SO loves it and we do much more riding than we did on 2 wheels there are some nice low miles wing if ya look long enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We triked our '05 with 12,750 miles on it and have now ridden over 12,000 miles as a trike. I don't know why you wouldn't trike any 1800 in good condition. The conversion companies are still building kits for 1500s and there is a big demand for them.

Tina and I just returned from a 1600 mile trip from Cincinnati to the Smokies, WOTS, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive and U.S. 50 back home. Only 350 miles on the expressway.

The more we ride/drive (whatever) our trike, the more we like it. Riding a trike is as much, or more, fun as riding a bike. The only thing you lose is leaning the bike in the curves. And of course you can't fall down either but I really don't miss that. And once you really get used to it, as BigChief recently found out, you can ride as fast, maybe faster, through the twisties on a trike than you could on 2 wheels.

One negative that you have to learn to live with when you have a trike is that it takes much longer to get anywhere. That's because every time you stop, your trike draws a crowd and you have to explain what it is, etc. to everyone. Men will come up and say, "My wife would never let me have a bike, but she would love one of these." And women will say, "Oh my goodness, that is beautiful. Even I could ride that." It's a cross we have to bear, being so adorable, but we do it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
lOTS OF 1800S OUT THERE WITH >100000 MILES AND STILL RUNNING LIKE NEW. THEY'LL LAST FOREVER IF YOU TAKE GOOD CARE OF THEM. I'm 82 and just had mine triked and I figure I'll be able to continue riding my trike for at least another 10 years if I last that long. Don

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
loren said:
make darn sure you drive a goldwing trike--before--you invest the money

i rode two different trike brands and i didnt like the ride at all

for about the same money, or even less

my choice would be the stallion

air conditioning

heater

far better gas mileage

head turning style for sure

built much lower to the ground
Why don't you just buy a car? That thing isn't a motorcycle.

The resale potential and value on one will probably be zilch.

But then........Each to his own of course.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imacbxdr said:
I'm 82 and just had mine triked and I figure I'll be able to continue riding my trike for at least another 10 years if I last that long. Don
82 and he just triked! :yes1: :yes1: :yes1:

:bow: Don - YOU are the man :1st:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We just triked our 03 Candy red with a CSC. The bike had 24K and just out of normal warranty. Loved the bike and love the trike even more.
We are not retired by a long shot, but I've always loved the look of a trike and rode several and wanted to convert just for the FUN of it.
I agree with Beastie alot in saying they are all good trikes, it just that we went with a CSC for the looks, availability, and the service our Honda shop has always provided.
The Goldwing is a heck of machine and will last for a long time with just minimal maintenance.
Get a trike and have some FUN!

·
Registered
25 Posts
IBTRIKE
You didn't seem to think a rake kit was the thing to do either.
Jerry

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
59Apache

Just curios about your handle,,, Does it come from the 1959 Apache Indian motorcycle Which I had one,

or

From an 1959 Apache twin engine airplane built by Piper that I earned my multi-engine cert in.

Thanks 8)

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Forgot Chevy had a Apache pickup also, Thanks 8)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts