GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trim pieces on the trunk, under the AM/FM antenna (and on the opposite side, same place). On the side under the antenna, there is a large crack in the trim. On the opposite side, not only is there a crack in the trim, but also starting on the lower part of the trunk.

Has anyone else seen this and if so, how did your dealer handle the problem? I have not been to the dealer yet. They're closed tomorrow, but I'll be there on Tuesday.

Bartman



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,665 Posts
Hey Big Guy! I have never seen anything like that happen before. Did you check with Honda of Sumter to see if it is covered under warranty? It sure should be I would think. It's not like you can crank the crap out of those nuts in the trunk as they just plastic.... Hummmmmmmmmm!!

Shadow1
Hal
 

·
Chard Member
Joined
·
12,969 Posts
Remember the handicapped parking spot you took away from the 85 year old man at the mall last week? I think his cane found the side of your Wing on his way into the store! :oops:
__________________________________

This is a guess. Maybe the trim screw was tightened too tight. If the trim wasn't put through the hole it could put tons of pressure on the surrounding area. :idea: Can't remember if that's the "nipple" that goes through or if it's the other. Remove the two trim screws to see what you've got.

Good Luck.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,439 Posts
If they ask you what you carry in your trunk. Light items ONLY is your answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red said:
Remember the handicapped parking spot you took away from the 85 year old man at the mall last week? I think his cane found the side of your Wing on his way into the store! :oops:
__________________________________

This is a guess. Maybe the trim screw was tightened too tight. If the trim wasn't put through the hole it could put tons of pressure on the surrounding area. :idea: Can't remember if that's the "nipple" that goes through or if it's the other. Remove the two trim screws to see what you've got.

Good Luck.....
Thanks Red, I can always depend on you for a good answer. The old guy must have been really mad. He got me on both sides. It's not going to try to take off any of the trim. I'll leave that to the dealer on Tuesday.

BlueWing said:
If they ask you what you carry in your trunk. Light items ONLY is your answer.
I think the heaviest thing I've ever had in the trunk is an extra helmet.

Bartman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,194 Posts
I have not seen any others with that issue. I do not believe there are "tabs" on that end of the trim piece. But it sure looks as though the screws has been over tightened. As long as you have not removed and reinstalled these pieces it should be a warranty item in my opinion from the photos.
 

·
Chard Member
Joined
·
12,969 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
Thanks Red, I can always depend on you for a good answer.

Bartman
You're welcome! He was probably a switch hitter when he played professional ball! LOL....

I'm dead serious about the trim not coming through flush through the hole in the trunk. If it was left out and someone cranked down on the trim screw, what you have might be possible.

Has anyone had the lower trunk cover off to install lights or maybe work on the latch? Whoever had the trim off last might have done it. If it hasn't been off, you can blame the factory. :wink:

Hope they handle it for you. Good Luck......

P:S
Haven't seen it before or heard it mentioned! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red said:
You're welcome! He was probably a switch hitter when he played professional ball! LOL....
FUNNY!!!!

Red said:
Has anyone had the lower trunk cover off to install lights or maybe work on the latch? Whoever had the trim off last might have done it. If it hasn't been off, you can blame the factory. :wink:
Nope, the trim nor the lower trunk has ever been off. Noticed it about a month ago and forgot about it till today when I was cleaning the bike.

We'll see what happens Tuesday!

Bartman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
Looks like you got some good answers...
Soooo.....
Confucius Say....
Never attempt to lock Mother-in-Law in tail trunk...
While she is conscious. :lol: :lol:
DC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Confucius also Say....
Woman who fly upside down have harry crack up!
Hummmmmmmmmm, maybe that doesn't apply to this situation??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,060 Posts
Do you have a luggage rack? Maybe you have exceeded the weight limit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
laen said:
Do you have a luggage rack? Maybe you have exceeded the weight limit.
Nope, no luggage rack.

Just got back from Honda of Jacksonville. Jason said he had seen this one other time on another '06. They ordered the two side trim pices and the lower trunk trim. Should have it all fixed next week.

Bartman
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top