GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to trim about 2 inches of the stock windscreen so I can look over it. Which is the best tool to use and the best technique?
I'm also considering one of the Cee Baileys but I like the stock w/vent I just want it shorter.

Steve

·
Registered
494 Posts
trimming wins shld

I found,that if you cut-off 1 1/2 inches,,,
Then put that up against your wind shld,you can follow the old piece with a jig saw,,and it will trac the old one..
Allways cut from the right towards the left,with a small amount of pressure towards the old wind shld.
The jigsaw will trac the old one,and give you a good cut.
When you are almost at the end of your template( old wind shld)
Stop and move the template over to the left to finish the
end of your new cut.
Did this four years ago,and have had good remarks about the quality of the cut.
BUT the buffeting on the Passenger gets worse,,as you cut the shld lower.
FYI
KennyU
SeattleWA

·
Registered
358 Posts
Additional tip on the jig saw:
use a corse blade so the pieces get thrown clear instead of trying to weld themselves behind the blade as you go. Finish with a fine file/sandpaper.
Worked for me a few times.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have used a 4 in grinder with a THIN cut off wheel over the years and then polished of with a beltsander in the vise to put a nice edge and finish wit 600 grit wet sandpaper for a perfect finish. Your view may vary...THUNDERWING

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've used a jig saw and a dremmel in the past. The jig saw is probably easier. How you cut it is not as important as how you finish it. File off any rough spots and then smooth it out with several grades of sandpaper getting finer each time. When it's done no one will be able to tell it was cut.

·
Chard Member
12,967 Posts
I have used a 24T blade in a variable speed jig saw a few times. I then use a body grinder to get close to the finished look I want. I then use a piece of 200 wet & dry paper for the final finish of the edge.

Put a piece of masking tape on the shield and take the bike for a ride before you cut. You can always cut twice, but it's a bear to add the piece you cut back onto the shield if you cut it too short! :oops:

·
Registered
152 Posts
The one thing I can add to what has been said before is to keep the speed of the blade low enough to not weld the windshield back together behind where you are sawing. When you have completed the cut the two pieces should seperate easily. You can also create your own profile by taping a sheet of paper to the windshield and drawing the shape before sawing through the paper and windshield at the same time.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I cut two inches off mine. I left it on the bike because it is easier to cut. I masked it well in case I slipped the jigsaw. I used 24 tpi blades and cut when the temp was warm. I used a 12 inch by 2 inch block of wood with fine sandpaper to finish the top edge. It looks great and works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts