GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, after trip 1 we added a couple comfort things to the new Wing, last weekend we got a chance to test them out on a quick weekend trip to see my wife's sister, Portland to Boise, 1k miles round trip, one day over and one day back. We hit about every terrain Oregon has to offer, had rain and fog going up over Mt Hood on the way out, but once on the east side of Mt Hood the sun came out and stayed with us the rest of the time, temps were mid-40's to low 90's.

New seat, we got the Ultimate seat and it was very welcomed, no complaints from me or my wife, big improvement over oem, the heat worked great when the temps dropped going over Mt Hood. For the Ultimate heated seat the on/off switch is on a remote about the size of a car remote, it doesn't use the oem controls, my wife keeps one of the remotes, I find them impossible to use with gloves so when I need it on/off I just ask my wife with our Packtalk and she turns it on/off for me. Not ideal if I were solo riding but I have other bikes for that, the Wing is our dedicated 2up bike so mama's always with me. We have no regrets at all with the Ultimate seat, very comfy.

F4 16" windscreen & Honda upper air deflectors, huge improvement for both of us, less air hitting our sides with wings closed when cold, and noticeable more air open when hot.

Routed battery tender lead out back left of the pillion seat, SAE to dual USB worked great for charging Packtalk while riding and my wife's phone.

Here's some pics of the different landscapes of Oregon, it's really terrible, don't move here.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/members/50402-goinggrey-albums-trip-2-new-2018-wing.html

We're already looking forward to another trip, as for the Wing I'd say she's dialed in for us now. Also got a trailer hitch installed but we don't have any trips this year that warrant bringing the trailer, next summer hopefully some longer trips with camping involved, that's what we use our Unigo for. Also got the Honda trunk rack installed but we didn't need to use it for this over-nighter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks like a great area to ride. Oregon, Washington and Idaho are three states west of the Mississippi we have not visited on a Goldwing trip. Doing it on a new Goldwing looks like the way to go.

Nice pictures!
Jim

Reactions: GoingGrey

·
Registered
831 Posts
By the looks of those roads you were on I would swear we took some of the same ones a couple of weeks ago. We were on our way home back to NY.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the looks of those roads you were on I would swear we took some of the same ones a couple of weeks ago. We were on our way home back to NY.
Mostly HWY 26 with a couple jogs off and on here and there, was really peaceful, didn't hit traffic or construction at all! :smile2:

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
Also got a trailer hitch installed but we don't have any trips this year that warrant bringing the trailer . I PUT A QUICK RELEASE RACK ON MY HITCH . 2 PINS AND COMES OFF N TRAILER GOES RITE ON . ( BALL ALWAYS THERE ) ALSO PUT A TRUNK TYPE BOX ON RACK THAT HAS QUICK RELEASE . ALWAYS HAULING SOMETHING AND NEVER ENOUGH ROOM . GIVES YOU BUNCH OPTIONS !! BOX IS ABOUT 6 YRS OLD ! TIME TO REPAINT / REPLACE

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also got a trailer hitch installed but we don't have any trips this year that warrant bringing the trailer . I PUT A QUICK RELEASE RACK ON MY HITCH . 2 PINS AND COMES OFF N TRAILER GOES RITE ON . ( BALL ALWAYS THERE ) ALSO PUT A TRUNK TYPE BOX ON RACK THAT HAS QUICK RELEASE . ALWAYS HAULING SOMETHING AND NEVER ENOUGH ROOM . GIVES YOU BUNCH OPTIONS !! BOX IS ABOUT 6 YRS OLD ! TIME TO REPAINT / REPLACE
Hi John,
We had one of the Rivco hitch racks for our 2016 Wing, very handy indeed for in between loads, I don't think I'll get one for the 2018 though, we seem to have really figured out this packing light thing now and like it, I think we're good with the trunk rack except for when we camp and bring the Unigo. :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts