GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are going in August (13th) with a good Friend and his wife to Nova Scotia. They (the wives) are flying into Buffalo NY, (going to Niagara Falls) picking them up and then proceeding on with the trip. Two weeker, going to be great. Anyone from the area east of Buffalo NY that can give advice, or sites that we MUST see. There is so much History in Vermont and east/ Going to take the CAT ferry over to NS aand really looking forward to that. The whole experience is something we are all looking very much forward to.
Thanks for looking and for your up-coming words of advice/thoughts.
Merry CHRISTmas to all.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The wife and I are going in August (13th) with a good Friend and his wife to Nova Scotia. They (the wives) are flying into Buffalo NY, (going to Niagara Falls) picking them up and then proceeding on with the trip. Two weeker, going to be great. Anyone from the area east of Buffalo NY that can give advice, or sites that we MUST see. There is so much History in Vermont and east/ Going to take the CAT ferry over to NS aand really looking forward to that. The whole experience is something we are all looking very much forward to.
Thanks for looking and for your up-coming words of advice/thoughts.
Merry CHRISTmas to all.
Have you made reservations for the Cat? I saw something on the news today saying that it had shut down and gone out of business. I am not sure if it is just for the winter but you might want to check before you finalize plans.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nova Scotia

I assume you're going to ride the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton. When you cross over the causeway onto Cape Breton, stop at the welcome center and ask to be booked into the Harbor View B & B. Great room (we had # 10), breakfast and owners.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
there is now a link on www.catferry.com that tells when and why the Cat was cancelled. :-( It's too bad, we really enjoyed the ride on it last year. If you go up thru New Brunswick stop at the Hopewell Rocks. If your lucky u will arrive when the tide is out. bb

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
there is now a link on www.catferry.com that tells when and why the Cat was cancelled. :-( It's too bad, we really enjoyed the ride on it last year. If you go up thru New Brunswick stop at the Hopewell Rocks. If your lucky u will arrive when the tide is out. bb
That stinks about the ferry...we were planning a trip for late summer or early fall 2010 :cry:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I made the trip in Sep 09 and highly recommend that you get a passport. Other than the expense, obtaining the PP is a breeze. It was 12 days from when I mailed the application to when I received the passport (in Feb 09). I do not know anything about an enhanced drivers license, but you can use the passport to make other trips outside the US.

Contact your insurer of the Wing and get a card that shows evidence of it being insured in the U.S for the approx dates you will be in Canada. Also, if you are inclined to carry, leave your guns at home!!!!! i.e, do NOT carry a firearm into Canada.

If you have time when traveling in Vermont, I recommend that you ride rte 100. There is a little town in southern VT, Weston, that has a great tourist trap (just kidding), The Country Store, that you might consider visiting. Actually, there are two stores across the street from one another. I liked the on on the east side.

Also, consider doing the ride up onto Mt. Washington, N. H. It was a white knuckle experience for me, but well worth it. FWIW, some folks recommended riding the Kancamagus (sp?) Parkway across NH, but I was very disappointed with it. I have ridden numerous other roads I like much more, e.g. the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Dr. in VA. However, you may like it.

I, too, recommend doing the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, NS. As was recommended to me, ride it in a counterclockwise direction so you will be on the ocean side lane. Baddeck is a nice place to stay up in Cape Breton. You might want to look into the Silver Dart Inn. It was a nice place and the food was sumptious. If interested, the Alexander Graham Bell Museum is located there.

Have a great trip and ride safely always. PM me if you have questions.

Todd

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I did that trip a couple of years ago from Baltimore to Maine, took the ferry overnight and went up to the Cabot trail. Went across New Brunswick to the St Lawrence Seaway, then south to Quebec City for a couple days of partying, then to the BMW Rally in Trenton, then through Buffalo and back to Baltimore.

Great Solo trip! Nova Scotia is beautifull if the weather is good but lots of fog and rain if you don't get lucky. Make sure you get plenty of lobster while there......it is everywhere! They even have a McLobster sandwich at McDonalds........Seriously!

Here is the welcome after you exit the ferry:

One of the camp grounds in July......Dress warm!

Once I got further south in Trenton at the BMW rally, it got warmer. Me in the black t-shirt with some other rally rats...

Make sure you are at the ferry on time or they will sail without you. You will have to line up and you should take a set of tie downs to tie your bike upright on the ferry in case of rough seas. This is the line waiting to get on the ferry.

I hope you guys have a great trip!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
It is a shame about the ferry closing, but that is what happens to a business that does not show a profit (in the real world, not the US)
We had hoped to be able to take the ferry in a couple years, but that does not look good at this point. We have not been to the northeast, Nova Scotia nor extreme eastern Canada. Looking forward to it in a couple years.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Going to take the CAT ferry over to NS aand really looking forward to that.
As posted, as of now you can't take the CAT since it is no longer in operation. You can take a ferry from St. John, NB to Digby, NS which will cut out some driving time. Stop in Bar Harbor for a day and ride up to St. John the next morning (4 or 5 hours away) and catch the ferry there.

I've taken the CAT a couple of times and didn't see the big attraction to it. Fast? Yes, but that was about it. I actually prefer the slower, larger "regular" ferrys.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've been planning this trip also for 3 years now and something always comes up. Taking the ferry is expensive. If your not going to tour the southern part, that is halifax and south you gain no time or millage taking the ferry. As I see the southern part is flat and mostly small finish towns. When I go I will take the land route and enjoy New Burnswich. One thing that changes alot on the ferry is the fuel surcharge which could be in the 50 to 100 dollar range.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nova Scotia

Man, I am really getting pumped about the trip listening to all you good people.
Thanks to everyone that had a say.
ps. We do have passports.
God Bless and Merry Christmas to all.
Ray & Margie:flg:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sorry to see the Cat go, at least for now. But after 1 trip on the 'vomitorium' we've taken Rt 9 to St. Steven, Canada then onto St. John as day 1 for us. The Hilton on the bay is very nice.

From there head to the Bay of Fundy before crossing the bridge to Prince Edward Island then onto Nova Scotia.

Also on Cape Bretton spend the night or more at:

http://macleods.com/beachvillage.html

We generally stay there for 5 days using it as a home base for all things Cape Bretton. The beach out front is outstanding, some days we just park ourselves on the beach. Also, check out the Alexander G. Bell Museum, well worth the time.

Ditto on Glendora Distillery, great place for dinner, WOW!!! FYI, if staying in Inverness the locals will pick you up and drive you to Glendora and take you back afterwards, for a small tip. Check at the front desk, they'll arrange everything.

From there we travel down to Halifax for a day then follow the coast south to Peggy's Cove and onto Lunenburg.
http://www.lunenburgns.com/

We stay here in Lunenburg, give yourself a few days here.
http://www.eden.travel/lunenburg

For dinner you have to check out the Old Fish Factory, that's where the locals eat.
http://www.oldfishfactory.com/

Afterwards we head to Digby and take the ferry back to St. John and home the next day. If you have time check out Briar Island near Digby, plan a night there.

Let me know if you need any more details.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As already stated, Cape Breton is the big attraction. I just returned from a 14-month work assignment in Nova Scotia. I was able to have my bike there all summer long and really enjoyed touring there. Cape Breton's Cabot Trail is awesome. Ride it in both directions--clockwise and counter clockwise. It gives you views you'll miss going just one way. There are lots of stoping points for pictures and viewing.

I enjoyed riding the other parts of Nova Scotia as well--but then I liked the smaller fishing villages. There are a lot of quaint places. Lunenburg, Annapolis Royal, the Waterfront in Halifax are other nice places to visit. The various lighthouse trails offer some good slower paced scenic riding.

In Cape Breton, we stayed a couple of days in Cheticamp. It is a smaller town with enough services to meet the needs of most folks. Then I do like smaller quaint places.

Do follow someone's advice and send off for the Nova Scotia Motorcycle Touring Guide. It has some great information. August is a wonderful time there weatherwise. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Agree on Cape Breton being a must. I think it is the best scenic ride that the east coast has to offer. I would ride it in both directions because the view is different each way.

Also get on a boat and whale watch for a few hours. It's the one thing that I didn't do on either ride up there and wish that I had.

Most of all have a great time, ride safe and take lot's of pictures. Merry Christmas!

Your going to mis the CAT, it was great.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I forgot to add: Dress warm. It can get cold up there, two summers ago we rode from Nova Scotia to Calais (that's pronounced Caliss in Maine, like "Versailles aka Versails" in KY but changes to the French pronounciation when you cross the border, go figure) in the low 50's all day with a cold rain and hard wind. Jeannette asked me what I was going to do with her bike after she flew home the next day (she rode back to FL of course - girl has guts). Gerbings and goretex were nice.

And you have to take a picture at this spot, everybody has one:

I have some more photos at the link below:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts