GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to finalize our trip to CA and need some help from someone who knows the area. I am planning on staying in Fortuna one night and then leaving the next morning and going on down to S.F.(golden gate bridge area). My route (hwy 1) will be 284 miles for that day. Is that doable or should I break it up. Are there any must see areas along the way that I should plan on stopping for! I know that I can do the miles but my question is how many stops along the way should I plan on! Name some must see stopping points! Thanks

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I am trying to finalize our trip to CA and need some help from someone who knows the area. I am planning on staying in Fortuna one night and then leaving the next morning and going on down to S.F.(golden gate bridge area). My route (hwy 1) will be 284 miles for that day. Is that doable or should I break it up. Are there any must see areas along the way that I should plan on stopping for! I know that I can do the miles but my question is how many stops along the way should I plan on! Name some must see stopping points! Thanks
I'll leave the naming of must see stopping points to those who live up that way -- I've traveled that area many times while camping and the idea of going from Fortuna to San Francisco in one day never occurred to me. It's beautiful country with breathtaking views, hundreds of miles of hiking trails, photo opportunities, and... oh, yeah, great riding.

That said, I've visited lots of cities, states and countries on the "Recon" plan, often wanting to stop and enjoy a few hours of leisure -- but kept going because of time constraints. "I'll have to come back here and see more of that..." are words I've uttered dozens of times.
So stop when you want to, keep one eye on the scenery (and the road) and the other on your watch and have fun.

"Oh, I kept the first [road] for another day,
yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted that I should ever come back
." ~ Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"

·
Registered
153 Posts
North Ca. Trip

Mike, There is so much to see and do I wouldn't know where to start. If your into history, take in Fort point. (It's under the S.F. side of the Golden Gate Bridge) well worth seeing. Speeking of the Golden Gate Bridge, Just a word of caution. Most of the time it's wet with salt water spray and just being in a fog, if there is any wind, you know the traffic lanes move too. Best Wishes on your trip...Mike Dory

·
Registered
700 Posts
Looking at the route on Google, I see that the first 1/4 leg is South on Hwbut could make for a long day...y 101 (standard freeway), the rest is on Hwy 1...Your first leg shouldn't be to bad, the other leg could be slow going with all the towns, switchbacks, and traffic to deal with. Is it doable...Yes...does it leave much time for sightseeing... some, lots of small towns along hwy 1 with their own stories to tell... Like...Point Arena Light House http://www.pointarenalighthouse.com/about.html

These Following places can be visited from San Francisco....
Sausalito...Marin Headlands... http://www.inn-california.com/sanfrancisco/Marin/MarinHeadlands/marinheadlands.html Fort Point...Lombard Street...

A very beautiful ride...hopefully you have a nice clear sunny day...Ride Safe...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mike, In answering you question, I don't think you can do the ride justice in one day. This is at least a 3 day trip if you want to take in all of Northern California's coast & Redwoods. Don't miss "Avenue of the Giants" just south of Rio Del. It will paraell hiway 101 for about 20 miles. In fact it is old hiway 101 before they built the freeway bypass...-Rich

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mike,
I would make it AT LEAST a two day trip. Myself and some friends just finished riding from Fortuna to Fort Bragg with stops for eating and site seeing along the way. We did not get to Fort Bragg until 4PM. I believe the distance is 135 miles.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
> Yes you can go from Fortuna to San Francisco in 1-day, but that's as far as you could make it.
> On my first coastal trip, I went from Gold Beach to Fort Bragg, and it took the entire day non-stop (and going as fast as I could go)... it's a pretty slow ride, and absolutely beautiful!
> Like the others say, Take Your Time on this trip, as there are many many places to stop and enjoy.

> While in Fort Bragg, I suggest stopping at Piaci Pub & Pizzeria, for some outstanding pizza, locally-made beer, and also locally-made ice cream... We now make this place our desintation, when headed north!
Piaci Pub & Pizzeria

120 West Redwood Avenue, Fort Bragg, CA
(707) 961-1133

> Also in Fort Bragg is the wonderful Mendocino Coast Botanical Garden... Spend an hour there, especially the rear-most portion, which has a tree-house-like-room overhanging the ocean cliff, outstanding place to bring a lunch and watch the ocean.

Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens

18220 N Highway 1, Fort Bragg, CA
(707) 964-4352

1 - 7 of 7 Posts