GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip to the south west for the latter part of August and into Sept of 2007 with three friends. I've been looking at microsoft trips and streets for map print outs and getting info from the Rand Mcnally atlas and then looking at Google Earth to determine the correctness of the previous info and a general idea of the topography (we like twisties).
I need to know if Hwy 90 west from Montrose Colorado is paved to Pinon Hwy #145 intersectio. The google earth pic's are from too high an altitude to be sure and the atlas is indicating dirt. We generally try to avoid dirt on the wings as they aren't as much fun in the mud when fully loaded. ( and one of our discoveries is if you've picked a dirt road even for a short cut across it will rain that day wherever you are). This looks like a back way into Telluride and we've found that generally ski resort roads are the curves we like.
So far the trip from Ottawa and return is about 7K mi.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Riding all the way ( of course ). West from Ottawa ( Canada) to detroit then west to denver. The real riding starts there and then on to the Garande Canyon, north to Glacier National then Sturgis and home. Three guys, three weeks and some sore butt's by the time were home.

G

·
My CO paper map shows it as unpaved also.

My favorite in that area is Hwy 62 west from Ridgway or Hwy 141 SE of Grand Junction via Hwy 50.

Web page below has a Link to some Mini Tours in this area.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
oldwing 1 said:
I need to know if Hwy 90 west from Montrose Colorado is paved to Pinon Hwy #145 intersection
Definitely not paved and not good for a Gold Wing.

For my recommendations on Colorado rides check out my "rides" page on my web at:
http://coloradodave.net
Also includes my favorite rides in southern Utah.

Even some better maps of rides in the western part of Colorado in the Rockies-Gold site at:

http://rockies-gold.net

I think they will be very useful to you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankx for the input everyone esp Wingnutzz. That leg of the trip will include the 149 south from Gunnison to the 160 into durango north on the million dollar hwy and then SW at ridgeway thru telluride to cortez. I know we are biteing off more than we can ride in the time were allowing but isn't that part of the fun.

G

·
oldwing,

If you are in Ridgway about chow time be sure to stop @ the "True Grit" restaurant. You may see the likes of John Wayne there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts