GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After years of wanting to take a tour of US and Canada I believe this summer it will finally happen! I will be taking 2 months off (June and July) and heading out for a bike ride! I plan on going to California and up the coast to BC and then back home to New Brunswick.
I'm looking for ideas of some interesting things to see and do while I'm traveling around. I will go see some of the tourist attractions but I'm looking for what others think are nice to see and do. For instance I'd like to go see the 4 corners Monument but I also wouldn't mind checking out a rodeo as well.

Any ideas you may have would be great. Maybe some of them I'll be able to check out on my trip.

Woody

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hard to beat the California/Oregon coast, but you should be there right now. I saw some Snapchats of Saint John the other day. OMG, a foot of snow and then pouring rain and the next night the temperatures were dropping way down below freezing. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
Not sure if you can but get national parks pass. Usa has excellant ones .

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Good luck and happy touring on your "trip of a lifetime". Back in 2003 I bought a Goldwing and did a "ride of a lifetime" after surviving a year plus battle with cancer. I got bit by the motorcycle touring bug. I have been doing a couple of my versions of "ride of a lifetime" a year ever since. I always like to say that "the west is the best" but if you get over on the east coast check us out.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My favorite tourist trap is Yellowstone National Park but in June and July it will be a zoo. That is the peek tourist season and not much fun. But if you don't mind the crowds it is a must. If you do goto Yellowstone go by way of Beartooth Pass. Crater Lake in Oregon is another favorite of my and as mentioned Calif. Oregon and Washington coast by way of highway 101 is a really great ride.

I have been to Four corners twice and hopefully never again. Imo skip it . To me it is nothing but a tourist trap in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd love to be somewhere warm right now so I could ride but that's not happening! lol tonight another 20 cm of rain and then dropping down to -14 I think. so tomorrow we'll be able to skate anywhere. earlier in the week there was a guy in St John who skated through the drive through at Tim's to get his coffee. Since we're getting this weather, it figure it's a good time to plan my trip! lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sticking with the monument theme Maryhill Stonehenge
Unless your thinking more geographical Belle Fourche, South Dakota
-fun fact of the day- Belle Fourche is just north of the black hills and Iron Mountain Road ,which was built as a work of art rather than for transportation.

We did our trip of a lifetime last summer to Cape Spear NL. My wife has a passion for covered bridges, so yes we did see the Hartland Bridge.

Enjoy your planning and your trip!

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Any ideas you may have would be great. Maybe some of them I'll be able to check out on my trip.

Woody
For the OP - and anyone else, a post I did a bit ago (I'm not re-writing it...) on this forum for a trip that was a bit longer.

Generic planning ideas (click the link & see that post):

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-g...d/408593-long-distance-rides.html#post5095217

You can plan to see 50 items, but you'll only have time for 25? Plan for 20 - and time for some unexpected - and unplanned - stops along the way.

Now - specifically, the Four Corners Monument?

It's a diversion...but the time you're headed this way (June/July) - expect temperatures to be 90°F (~32°C) or hotter in the late afternoon.

From there, if you looped back onto UT-162 toward Bluff, UT - you can enter Monument Valley (southbound) on US-163 and see:

By Averette at en.wikipedia, CC BY 3.0

Luck to ya!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
You can see several Rodeos in Oregon in June. The Extreme Bulls in Bend, The Sisters Rodeo in Sisters, and two different Cowboy Action mounted shooting events in Redmond. Places of interest as you travel North, the Oregon coast, Crater Lake, Westport and Long Beach in Washington for Whale watching, Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Parks are wonderful, and taking the ferry's and riding the roads through the San Juan Islands. If you like strawberries, Summer is a great time to be in the San Juan's, as they have farms all through the area.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
711 Posts
I just did a google maps search from NB to san francisco to vancouver to NB. About 12,000 kilometers if you did that drive you indicated round trip, or 7,500 miles, without ever getting of the Deathway. I do about 300 miles/day, or 6 hours max on my interstate trips. That means your trip would take me 25 solid days of driving! To each his own but that just doesn't sound like fun to me, especially if you were to return East in Canada where there is a whole lot of nothin' (except roads carved into pine tree forests). So having opined with my unsolicited opinion about all the driving, what would I see?

I did a week in just Utah in 2015 and it was great. Highly recommend it, maybe even go south past Tuba, AZ, to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Paulc was asking about an East-West US Northern Plains route a few weeks ago, so you might check out the responses he got to that post (mine included). Also, if you've never driven around Niagara Falls, Lake Superior, or Michigan, I'd recommend it. Vancouver is a gem of a city to see, but I don't know about riding a bike through it; ditto Seattle. If you've never been, Yellowstone NP is a must see even though there will be too, too many people. The Teton Mountains in Wyoming are a sight to behold, too as is Lake Pond Oreille in Coeur d'Alene forest in Idaho. In June don't be surprised by snow either.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I do about 300 miles/day, or 6 hours max on my interstate trips. That means your trip would take me 25 solid days of driving! <...>
...and, since the OP really didn't give any defined parametric data on what a comfortable day of riding is for him, it's somewhat subjective to think that your 300 miles/day is what he rides, isn't it?

You're right, to get to the first waypoint he describes (four corners monument), that's six days at eight hours a day (or around 400 miles...). Around 2800 miles to see:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/four-corners-monument

$5 a head to get in to see it these days.

What he *did* mention was that this is a two *month* trip. Even at your pace, 25 solid days of riding still gives him 35 days to see stuff and do stuff.

This thread has given me an idea...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to have to get online and check these places out. I can't wait to see the country and meet all the wonderful people along the way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m going to have to get online and check these places out. I can't wait to see the country and meet all the wonderful people along the way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have any solid plans on things I'll go see. I'm just looking at places that may look interesting and getting peoples opinions to see if they think it's worth it to see it. Plus, maybe find some places that may be a little less known. I'll probably won't be stopping too much on my first couple of days as I the areas closer I can see on shorter vacations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kwthom thanks for the info. the link you gave me was great! A ton of options in there to check out. I’ll be camping along the way as well. Have a camper trailer I’m hauling so knowing there are some places to camp along the way will be great too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
...and, since the OP really didn't give any defined parametric data on what a comfortable day of riding is for him, it's somewhat subjective to think that your 300 miles/day is what he rides, isn't it?
"Parametric data"? Jeez. :croc:

I think I was pretty clear that I was talking about me and not him at that point, since you've brought that up. Opined means giving an opinion last I heard. If the OP wants to ignore my opinion that's his choice isn't it? Not sure we need opinion police on here... or is that just me being more subjective? :duck:

Reactions: Big_Bird

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Sometimes, it's best to walk away.

<...>Not sure we need opinion police on here... or is that just me being more subjective? :duck:
My point was there's simply not enough info in the OP's original post to provide him with any salient data, based on information you provided (daily comfortable distance) that really wasn't focused on answering his question...but we both ended up giving him information, which is what he was after.

Opinion police?

I gotta let that one go.

·
Registered
390 Posts
North, South, East, West?

From the initial description, not sure where all you want to go, or all that you might like to see.....

big circle, all kinds of squiggly lines, back and forth?
From my limited experience, some really cool rides in the PNW (I have written about riding on Rt. 2)
On one of my trips to Canada, went through Kenora...really interesting looking town, looking forward to going back
All kinds of cool rides in the southeast, southcentral that I have taken....
Really enjoyed a ride to Key West...but that may not be on your route.

The ride is half the fun
Planning is the other half....(thanks Kurt)

have fun and enjoy the ride
bryon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts