GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help as to where to go or what to really see out east , hope someone can help with ideas and rode to travel.

I am heading out east July 1st thru the 18th from Denver Co. I have to hit Pittsburg first as to see family there first after that I am pretty open. Thinking about touring thru gettysburg and then want to go down by Raleigh NC and the back up thru niagara falls , thru wisc, upper Michigan and then northern Minnesota to do some walleye fishing. Down thru central Minnesota ( my home state ) my wife has never been to northern Minnesota by the lake of the woods. After that back to Denver! Was hoping when I was out east past Pittsburg someone could help me out as the where to go, what to see and do. Should I do the smokey mts, skyline highway, totally lost as really what to do or go out there. We will be in motels the whole time, pulling a trailer. Thanks for your help everyone. Michael

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hey Michael, sounds like you have a couple good ideas already. While I have done it, I hear that 50 out of CO heading East would be fun. You can always jump off and head up to 30 to then go into Pitts. Gettysburg is a must. Great little town, lots to see and do, and of course the history. Now I would not be Wheels if I did not at least recommend one eating place, thus you could swing out of Gettysburg on 15 south and right in Emmittsburg is a place called Chubby's BBQ. While my southern friends will protest, I have to tell ya that there is no place better for some good BBQ. You can then stay on 15, go to 340 and pick up the Skyline and Blueridge Parkway. Yep, good riding for sure. Plenty of Inns and Motels in the area and along that stretch.

Be sure to drop me a PM when you think you might be in the area and I would love to try and meet ya out at Chubby's to share some good BBQ and put a handshake on ya. Better to shake hands before the BBQ however.

Two sites to check out that might give you some ideas. http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

And

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ Had a lot of fun with this one while planning rides.

Good luck and ride safe.:thumbup:

·
Registered
723 Posts
most of the people would be going the other way, but you will find many great roads to ride that way also, we are going the same way at the end of July. The links that Wheels sent you are great links and I use them when ever I am going to ride in new area's.
I would also get a passport and go through Canada from Niagra falls into Michigan, but there might be more hassle than you wish to deal with.
I would also tell you to look into Motorcycle Travel Network, it is a great way to travel and stay with people all over the country, http://www.motorcycle-travel.net/home/mt1/index_main.html
PM if you want more information about this and again look at the links Wheels sent.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Wow...sounds like you have a great trip planned

Though it is a bit east of Pittsburgh, try to head through the Finger Lakes in NYS...very pretty riding..Corning NY would be a great place to stay, the downtown "gaffer" district is nice to walk around and see all the glass artesians, great steak place in town too (can't recall the name...Tony's or something like that...only one in town, great steaks and a nice wine list)

If you go to Niagra Falls....the Canadian side is far better than the US side....it would be time well spent to head up to Niagra on the Lake....beautiful little town on the Canadian side where the river empties into the lake....many nice places to stay and eat

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ride the Dragon

I lived in the Finger Lakes of New York it's Beautiful during the summer months, if you get in the Vincinity of Geneva, Ny ask for directions to Seneca Army Depot, it is closed now but there is still the ONLY herd of wite deer in captivity, and they are often in the early morning and sundown next to the perimeter fences.

Then head south to Robbinsville, NC and ride the Dragon at Deals Gap, over 300 switchback turns in 11-13 miles.

theres a couple of great places to ride to.

Ride Safe
Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts