GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My riding buddy and I are hardcore dual sport riders. This will be the second trip on my Wing and the first on his new C14 (peer pressure is a wonderful thing...) We are not used to having to look for gas every 200 miles, which is my major concern since we are heading out to the West Coast, roaming around the desert, and then going to Colorado for a couple of days before turning for home.

I was looking at the MAD Maps website and I like that the maps have "Roadhouses Attractions and Outdoors" sites marked on the maps. Has anyone gotten a set? If so how did you like them...

Our GPS's have proven themselves nearly useless for finding gas in remote areas in the past. Plus camping with the wing does not seem as easy as just riding in the woods 100 yards off the road to set up camp. So I need to find campsites or camping friendly areas near El Paso, Yuma, Vegas, Carson City. I haven't been further west than the 4 corners area on a bike before so this will be an unknown area for both of us.

Thanks in advance for any info or input...

·
Registered
466 Posts
My riding buddy and I are hardcore dual sport riders. This will be the second trip on my Wing and the first on his new C14 (peer pressure is a wonderful thing...) We are not used to having to look for gas every 200 miles, which is my major concern since we are heading out to the West Coast, roaming around the desert, and then going to Colorado for a couple of days before turning for home.
I spent 6 weeks cruising out west last summer and never had a problem finding gas - paying outrageous prices/gallon, yes. ;) I started looking for gas when I got to half full and several times got down to 1/4 but never saw the low fuel light come on. I also filled the tank as one of the last things to do for the day.

I was looking at the MAD Maps website and I like that the maps have "Roadhouses Attractions and Outdoors" sites marked on the maps. Has anyone gotten a set? If so how did you like them...

Our GPS's have proven themselves nearly useless for finding gas in remote areas in the past. Plus camping with the wing does not seem as easy as just riding in the woods 100 yards off the road to set up camp. So I need to find campsites or camping friendly areas near El Paso, Yuma, Vegas, Carson City. I haven't been further west than the 4 corners area on a bike before so this will be an unknown area for both of us.

Thanks in advance for any info or input...
I'm not a fan of MAD maps.

Depending on your GPS you can supplement the POIs by downloading brand specific gas stations [Loves, TransAmerica,...], campgrounds [public, state, federal], dining [Feasting on Asphalt, Diners, Drive-in's and Dives, brand specific...], and other features.

Since you know the areas your concerned with them I'd google them, jot down details, and make waypoints for your GPS. By categorizing them you can do a simple search by name, nearest, or other feature.

If your GPS won't support user POIs then I had good luck grabbing gas station guides at truck stops, camping guides via the state visitor bureau, the internet, and other ride reports. It added a few inches and pounds to the stuff I carried but I had no problems finding food, fuel, or sleeping accomodations. It was always beneficial for me to pull out the much folded map in an eating place and ask questions. I got some fantastic info on places that I'd have never found on the web.

One thing I found very useful was stopping at visitor centers in each state. They had the most current info, very good recommendations, and lots of insight. Well worth the stop - and they seemed to have the best maps too.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Where does one find listing for each states visitor centers?
Usually the community adjacent to the border will have a visitor's center; many are blue-signed at the roadway. Similar info can also be found at traveler's centers (a.k.a. truck stops), again, close to the border.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm a big fan of MAD Maps - as a planning tool rather than a place finder, etc. I have found they provide good information about routes especially fun and/or scenic for motorcycles, and try and work them into my general plan of travel.

We have stopped at some eateries recommended by them from time to time, and have been pleasantly surprised.

They are printed on plasticized paper, so they hold up pretty well. All in all, I think they are a worthwhile tool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts