GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm back to planning another Iron Butt ride and need some assistance from those of you living in the northern most states all the way from Maine to Washington.

I'm going to attempt a 48/10 (48 states in 10 days)(don't say a word about my sanity!). I will be attempting this starting June 18th and should be crossing the uppermost states starting the 20th. With the zigging and zagging I will have to do, should be in Washington the 23rd.

What I need is an idea of what to expect as far as weather. Rain, snow, ice, sleet. I have picked mid June thinking that the temperature and climates along the way should be very moderate, but living in Texas, about the only thing I understand about weather is HOT. I will be traveling the super slab as much as possible due to the time constraints of this ride (from my door back to my door, about 8500 miles).

Clothing will not be an issue as I will be towing my Bushtec trailer and will have rain gear and a complete set of Gerbing's with me, along with a set of spare tires.

Good advice is always appreciated, maybe not listened to, but appreciated! :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sounds like fun. I'm near Cleveland Ohio, and mid june here could be anything from 40 and rain to 98 and sunny with 95% humidity. Very hard to predict the weather that far in advance. Can you give a more detailed idea of your route? as the weather differs greatly from the northern to the southern part of the state. Are you going to need people to meet you at each state as a witness? If so, sign me up, provided you will do the same for me when I get up the nerve to try what you are doing. I'm planning my first Iron Butt ride this summer.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Let me know when you will be in town Darryl, I want to warn the local five 0. Can't be letting any Bandits in my town unannounced...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Trip Northern states

Coming across Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana up to the mountains that time of year the weather should be great, almost perfect. Don't know what you might expect when you get in the mountains though.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Orange Bandit 4 said:
Good advice is always appreciated, maybe not listened to, but appreciated! :D
:lol: :lol:

The terrain along the slabs up here should suit you just fine. Might get chilly at night, so you'll have to plug in, but other than that, there are few places where you'll get high enough to worry about precip freezing.

I'd offer you a place to crash near Spokane if you needed it, but not sure if I'll be home yet. I'll be finishing my Trans-Canadien ride on the 11th of June, and plan on doing some sight-seeing on the east coast before I head home. But as it gets closer and I firm up my plans, let me know and we'll see. If'n I am home, you've got a place to shack up for the night if you need it.

Speed limits shouldn't be a problem up this way, pretty much 75 in all states, 'cept WA & OR. Traffic flows pretty smoothly, so you can roll on at 5-10 over with out too much greif.
WARNING about WA: I learned that a bike with a trailer counts as "vehicle in combination" (or whatever the "official" terminology is), and are supposed to adhere to the truck speed limit of 65. I didn't know that until I got stopped and got a warning for it. I am sure playing dumb and being from out of state should just get you a warning. I don't think the trooper that pulled me over (reason for stop was because I might have been going "a mile or two" over the limit :wink: ) knew about the law himself, because he spent a good bit of time in his car before he came back and shared that with me.

Avoid Seattle at rush hour!! This means anywhere between 0600 - 1000 and 1500 - 1800.

Have fun! Can't wait to hear your ride report!!

I can't wait to find time to do this ride! It is at the top of my "dream ride" list!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Rick M said:
Are you going to need people to meet you at each state as a witness? If so, sign me up, provided you will do the same for me when I get up the nerve to try what you are doing.
All he will need is a computer receipt from a gas station or ATM from each state.

Rick M said:
I'm planning my first Iron Butt ride this summer
Beware... the call of the dark side is strong!! Once you start, it is hard to stop!! :twisted:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Northwest

You will be coming across northern ID and WA about the ideal time of the year. Worst is an occasional thunderstorm. Down thru WA, OR, and northern CA it should be about perfect. In a rush, only choice is I-5. Its the only North-South Interstate we have. US 95, 97, 99 and 101 are all two lane. and a lot slower. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Once you hit Montana coming west you can really start to make some time. The interstate should be clear without much traffic. Weather at that time of the year is not hot, usually around 70 or so, but you could run into a good fast moving rain shower. The passes will be free of ice and snow. Traffic will pick up as you enter Idaho. You have two passes to cross before Coeur d Alene, then it's somewhat steady traffic until you get west of Spokane. Then you can start to move again but not too fast. Posted mph is 70, can get away at 75 but you are hanging out going faster than that.

If you travel at night in these areas, (not a good idea), :shock: watch out for deer And if you have never been in the area, you will surely want to see the landscape in the daylight. It is beautiful up here.

Our motorcycle touring group will be heading out on the 25th of June to Fort Steele, B.C. for a weekend campout. If you plan on passing through here on the 23rd, send me an e-mail. Might be able to help you out while in the area.

Have a great trip and ride safe.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I have questions for some of you and will send those off board. Again thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Snazzy Nazzy Biker said:
Have a great trip and ride safe.
Howdy Neighbor
Welcome to the board!!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Darryl,

Heavy Dew in the evening thru the early morning here in NY. Little to no chance of frost or ice.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've done a lot of traveling in June. It is probably the best month of the year. I made two seperate trips out west at the end of June. I saw one day of rain on each trip and it only rained for several hours each time. Temps were for 75 to 100. 100 was in Utah.

I think you picked the right month! Let me know when you are coming through our area.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Only a Goldwinger would do an Ironbutt with a trailer.
Wisconsin weather should be great then.
Be sure to post the story of your ride after you complete it.
Good Luck
Ride Safe
Ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts