GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip in October from Gettysburg to the Ohio River and i need some good roads. I like counrtry, mountains, non congestion areas.
This is what i have so far
;
Rt 30 west, 281,31,381, rt 40 west out of somerset to brownsville
88 south to Kirby, then north on 19 to waynesburg
rt 18 west to 231 to clayville the rt 40 west to Wheeling
rt 7 sounth along Ohio river to St Mary
I have never been on these roads.
I would like to hear any suggestions

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
PA roads

You have it nailed. Those roads are all great! Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The route you have mapped out really a nice ride. You will be coming through the area called the Laurel Highlands - and all the roads / scenery is wonderful. As you ride 381 - I strongly suggest a stop at Ohiopyle State Park - you won't be disappointed. Falling Waters (a Frank Lloyd Wright house) is very close to Ohiopyle as well - - and is a must see if you like that kind of thing. You really can't go wrong in this part of the state.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I am planning a trip in October from Gettysburg to the Ohio River and i need some good roads. I like counrtry, mountains, non congestion areas.
This is what i have so far
;
Rt 30 west, 281,31,381, rt 40 west out of somerset to brownsville
88 south to Kirby, then north on 19 to waynesburg
rt 18 west to 231 to clayville the rt 40 west to Wheeling
rt 7 sounth along Ohio river to St Mary
I have never been on these roads.
I would like to hear any suggestions

Looks like a great route you have planned.

He is another alternative........of great roads.

You could go to McConnellsburg on 30,

Note: Stop in Fort Loudon at the Milky Way for lunch, Ice Cream etc.

Take US 522 south to I-70,

Take I-70 east to Hancock, MD,

Take US 522 south to Berkeley Springs, WV,

Take route 9 west to Paw Paw, (Fantastic curvy road through the
mountains)

Note: At Paw Paw, route 9 becomes 51 when you cross the bridge into
MD.

Take route 51 to Cumberland,

Take the I-68 west to LaVale,

Take the "Old National Pike" route 40 west to Wheeling, WV,

Then either route 2 (WV side) or route 7 (OH side) south to Huntington, WV.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I will make it simple, get off the turnpike at Somerset and go 12 miles to the site of the 911 memorial in Shanksville. Leave there and just head NW on back roads towards Drakes well and the Kinzua Dam/Tionesta area. This is some of the best riding in america...along the river, nice roads and PA at that time of the year can't be beat.:cool:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dirty Dog,

231 from 18 to Claysville sucks. Go a little further north to 221 to Rt 40 near Taylorstown.
Also rt 2 runs down the Ohio river on the WV side.

Let me know when, I live in Wheeling

My suggestion,
Go over to 522 south to Berkley Springs rt9 west to rt29 south to rt 127 west to rt50 west to Grafton, WV then RT 250 north west pick rt 88 north to Wheeling

·
Registered
385 Posts
I run most of those roads quite often and here's what I'd do. Look for Rt. 160 after you get several miles past Schellsburg on Rt. 30. Take 160 south all the way through Berlin where it gets very scenic with great sweeping turns. After you get into Maryland the road tees with Rt. 36 and you'll turn right on 36. Follow that into Frostburg and you'll turn right on your Rt. 40. Note that 36 gets twisty just as you get into town but it's a fun twisty.

Turn right on 40 and follow that into PA where, if you can see it, you'll turn right onto Dinner Bell Road and take that to Ohiopyle park. After looking at the falls, go back the way you came but stay on 381 south back out to 40 and continue on your planned route. If you miss Dinner Bell Road, just take 381 north to Ohiopyle, it's worth riding both directions. There's also Old Dinner Bell Road which is a connector to, yep, you guessed it, Dinner Bell Road and it's fine too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts