GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's now called Apple Mountain Motorcycle Rally, 10-15 Aug at a place called Little Orleans, Md. I'm leaving on Wed 10 Aug and taking backroads down, 6-8 hr trip. I did a recon of the place last month - very primitive camping, but they have hot showers. The advance tickets were $40 for the entire event = camping and bands. The website says the local fire dept sells beer there for $2. Vendors are going to be on site for food and who knows what else.
I was never able to make it to SD for the original Sturgis, so I'm giving this a try. My brothers and friends have already backed out after planning since April. Since I turned 50 this year, I've decided not to put any more trips off and I'm done canceling trips because of every excuse out there.
Another summer road trip for me, if anyone is interested, let me know - I'm going!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Based on what I saw on their website, this event is NOT metric friendly. I mean, a "destruction derby" on bikes that they're only using a Honda and a Kawasaki? That alone tells me that the mind set is there. Add copious amounts of cheap alcohol and what appeared to be less than family friendly "entertainment" and that was enough for me to make other plans. YMMV, however.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't do a lot of riding back in the day - so I'm going for it. If it turns out not being enjoyable, I'll pack up and ride to someplace else. I drove down to the place last month and actually met the guy running this. Spoke to him for a while - said he sells many bikes throughout the year to motorcycle salvage yards up this way. He even offered for us to stay in the field if we were looking for a place to stay.
I can handle the weather, crappy food, camping, and undesirable company - as long as I can have a hot shower everyday. I'm excited to go to this and will post a summary when and if I survive. Since it appears I'm the only one going = partners all have other plans now, I'll make the best of it and will be able to say how great or not so great a time I had. Who knows, maybe I'll be the only goldwing there!!!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I didn't do a lot of riding back in the day - so I'm going for it. If it turns out not being enjoyable, I'll pack up and ride to someplace else. I drove down to the place last month and actually met the guy running this. Spoke to him for a while - said he sells many bikes throughout the year to motorcycle salvage yards up this way. He even offered for us to stay in the field if we were looking for a place to stay.
I can handle the weather, crappy food, camping, and undesirable company - as long as I can have a hot shower everyday. I'm excited to go to this and will post a summary when and if I survive. Since it appears I'm the only one going = partners all have other plans now, I'll make the best of it and will be able to say how great or not so great a time I had. Who knows, maybe I'll be the only goldwing there!!!
Just have fun and enjoy the trip hope we can meet sometime.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda John - I wasn't aware of some of the events you listed - when and where do they take place and are they annual events???
I live in Central Jersey and do most of my day trips up along the Del River on both sides. My brother lives in central Va, some over nighters originate from his area and we ride the tri-states of WV, Md, and Va.
Yes, I hope our paths cross and we can share some routes to ride.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Honda John - I wasn't aware of some of the events you listed - when and where do they take place and are they annual events???
I live in Central Jersey and do most of my day trips up along the Del River on both sides. My brother lives in central Va, some over nighters originate from his area and we ride the tri-states of WV, Md, and Va.
Yes, I hope our paths cross and we can share some routes to ride.
Cats-Cade was 1 of the 1st ones and I made lots of freinds up there Bull dog and his wife use to put this on and it got to be a lot of work so they stop it. But he did say to me he think he might have one more in him. I real hope so. I too live in Central Jersey and I live real colse to the Del River sometime I ride long 32 and some time I ride 1 of my ski in the river but most of the time is now spend on my bikes. I am the road captain for Chapter H in NJ and we do ride alot. Here is the web site for the club stop by one and meet the guys
http://gwrranjchapterh.shutterfly.com/#

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice site. I like the NJ road trips listed, I don't use a gps. I'm old fashion with a 3 x 5 card with directions.
I see your next monthly meeting is this month, I actually use to work in NP for a few years at the NPHS (good people). Do I need to be sponsored or can I just show up??? Will do my best to get up there on Sun.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Nice site. I like the NJ road trips listed, I don't use a gps. I'm old fashion with a 3 x 5 card with directions.
I see your next monthly meeting is this month, I actually use to work in NP for a few years at the NPHS (good people). Do I need to be sponsored or can I just show up??? Will do my best to get up there on Sun.
Just show up I get there about 7:30 hope to meet you on 21th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts