GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to ride from the DC area to Orlando FL in October.
Anyone done that trip before? I was thinking of taking 3-4 days to ride down, and did want to travel at least a bit on the Blue ridge parkway (or some other scenic roads).
My trip is really starting in Orlando, taking the auto train up to DC area, visiting some family for a few days and then starting off on the ride back to Orlando.
Is it reasonable in 3-4 days ? any suggestions on best options for roads etc?

THANKS ALL!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey there and good luck on your trip. I live in Manassas VA and command the area of the auto train in Lorton. Look me up if you should need anything while visiting our area and as for your ride home, take the 3 days and hit the BRP, it may be a little out of your way but well worth the trip,

Joe Hill, Fairfax County Police

·
Registered
628 Posts
Good luck! I'm going to a timeshare just off the skyline drive Sept. 11. Going to do it in one day, it's @ 700 miles. I'm going superslab the whole way however.

LAW

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
How long does the autotrain take from FL to DC?
Checkout the Amtrak site for more info on the Autotrain. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241245666320

If I recall correctly, the train departed around 5pm and arrived at its destination around 10am the following morning. Of course you need to arrive a few hours prior to departure for loading vehicles and it takes an hour or so after arrival to get the vehicle back and on your way.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Great trip, done it several times in each direction. Amtrak does a good job. It is even more fun with a group - evening party on the train.

As for the motorcycle part - try to take more than 2 or 3 days.

Worst part of the trip is coming back from mid Georgia back to Orlando - bo ring I 75 and Tpike. Suggest you take some back roads.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
To me, the BRP is just too slow and heavily patrolled that you just can't have fun in finding your bike's lean angle limits. Once you've seen a dozen overlooks, it's just the same mile after mile the rest of the way.

If It was me doing this trip, I would take US-50 west out of the DC area and ride it until it intersects with US-219 and take US-219 south all the way to Lewisburg, WV. You'd be a bit further west than the BRP, but oh, what a road!

Hop onto I-64 east approximately 15 miles and take Rt. 311 all the way to Roanoke, VA. Ride south on I-81 to Bristol, VA/TN and take US-421 east till it intersects with I-77 south.

Take this to Columbia, SC and pick up I-26 east/south till it intersects with I-95 south.

You'd have ridden on "awesome" US-50, "magnificent" US-219 in WV. "Fabulous" Rt-311 in VA and the "incredible" "Snake" in extreme north eastern TN. Accomplishing this all on the same trip, and finally saying to yourself: WOW, what a ride!

But, that's just me!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd spend some time on U.S. 301 as well, that's generally what I use to bypass downtown DC when I go from FL up to New England. Nice country roads for the most part.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm looking to ride from the DC area to Orlando FL in October.
Anyone done that trip before? I was thinking of taking 3-4 days to ride down, and did want to travel at least a bit on the Blue ridge parkway (or some other scenic roads).
My trip is really starting in Orlando, taking the auto train up to DC area, visiting some family for a few days and then starting off on the ride back to Orlando.
Is it reasonable in 3-4 days ? any suggestions on best options for roads etc?

THANKS ALL!
Ride west from DC to Sperryville (home to Dick Womack) Dukes of Hazard, get on the Skyline Dr and then the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is a slow ride and the scenery is gorgeous.
If you stop in Charlottesville you can tour the Monicello (home of Thomas Jefferson). There are several wineries in the area you can tour too

At exit 175 on i81 if you get off on route 11 it will taken you to Natural bridge which is well worth a visit.

If you don't opt for these two places blue ridge pkwy will rub into us441 take it south and do a detour to Highland NC from Franklin. Lots of waterfalls on this detour and you can hook back up on us441. Being from Orlando you would know where US441 goes.
Anyhow it's about 850 miles via the interstate straight back to Orlando. Plan your time and mileage to enjoy your trip without being push for time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
auto train cost

I'm actually thinking of going the opposite direction in October, VA to St. Augustine.

I thought about the auto train but the price just seems too high when I consider that I can do DC Metro areas to St. Aug in two days. I've previously done it as one straight run.

Can I ask what the train did cost?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Goblin

Amtrack has a calculator that also shows military, law enforcement and other discounts at the touch of a button. They have two methods of travel, sleeper car (more money) or a seat, but both come with meals which are not bad for travel food. The experience is the best and Amtrack service is 3.5-4 stars which ain't half bad. Here is a sample ride for you one way
http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

Monday, October 31, 2011
53 Auto Train (LOR - SFA)

Depart:
4:00 pm, Mon, Oct 31, 2011

Arrive:
9:30 am, Tue, Nov 1, 2011

Duration:
17 hr, 30 min

Amenities

• 1 Adult $149.00
  • 1 Reserved Coach Seat
  • Subtotal $149.00

• 1 Motorcycle Subtotal $118.00

Terms & Conditions
Total
$267.00

Joe

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I live in Lorton, about one mile from the Auto Train stop. If I can help, let me know!
I've made the ride to Orlando a few times, but normally nonstop, 14 hours. Avoid rush hour traffic and you're fine.
Do NOT ride in the DC area between 6 AM and 9 AM and then again from 4 PM to about 7 PM and you'll be fine. Even if the map says Lorton, VA, it's DC rush hour traffic in that time frame. The Auto Train is literally right beside I-95 and is a veritable parking lot if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
My schedule is fairly flexible, perhaps I can take a few days off and ride with you, perhaps even down to Florida!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey, I'm with Joel maybe we can all hook up and do lunch and show you around our town. However, Joel is right on point please avoid the main areas around rush hour, it ain't pretty. If we can manage to meet up I would be willing to take you into DC, after hours or mid day, to view the monuments and some of the beautiful places DC has to showcase.

PM me for my number or you can call the station at 703 451-5066 to reach me. All I need is a day or two notice so I can take leave.

Joe in VA

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the responses all! I'm still trying to pin down dates as I'm going to be visiting with family in Long Island and in Alexandria while there. wingcommander and Joelhar, thanks so much for your offers. I'll PM when I get the dates figured out and perhaps it will work out to meet/ride. Sounds GREAT!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts