GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I plan to ride my Goldwing/Hannigan Trike up to Michigan from Florida in July. Does anyone know of a good route, other than straight up 75? 75 is OK, but I do not like going thru Macon, Ga., Atlanta, GA. or Cincinnati. I don't mind going a little out of my way to get around these cities. I tried 95 to 26 to 77 all the way up to the Ohio pike, but that was even worse.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You might want to try US 23. If I remember correctly you pick it up in Ashville NC and it goes through several states and then into MI. Sorry can't be more specific than that but check out a good atlas or use GPS mapping software. Came back from the Smokies one year on US 23 and really enjoyed it. Some is divided four lane, some two lane, but good relaxing ride. Hope this helps some. Enjoy your trip to our Mitten.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just tell your GPS to avoid highways. It will then route you on nice roads without the interstates. We did that last year going to MI and are planning the same thing this year up to PEI and NS. You might want to just look at the route on Google Maps by doing the same avoid highway thingy.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
Head west on rt 10 till ya hit the pacific coast hwy. - head north till ya hit rt 2 . Make a rite and head east . Miles = smiles would be great trip !! Good luck !;)

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
When we went two years ago, we went through Wisconsin and circumnavigated the lake, amazing trip. We spend 3 nights in Milwaukee, and four nights in Traverse City. Beautiful place.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
There's got to be a million things to see between Florida and Michigan. Do a little research, pick out five things you'd like to see and make your route.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Just tell your GPS to avoid highways. It will then route you on nice roads without the interstates.
Perhaps if your GoldWing GPS is an upgrade over the standard '07 software. Selected the "AVOID HIGHWAYS" option in Arkansas and ended up on gravel roads. Perhaps Arkansas considers any paved road a highway.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
route

Head west on rt 10 till ya hit the pacific coast hwy. - head north till ya hit rt 2 . Make a rite and head east . Miles = smiles would be great trip !! Good luck !;)
Best route so far !!!

Jump on some two lane roads heading west when you get to Texas and I think you're good to go !!!!

Kurt

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
About a hundred mile longer route is up via South Carolina, Charlotte, Pittsburgh PA and then across the I80 Parkway. Get to pay some tolls, takes about 1.5 hours longer, but nicer scenery and get some twisties also. I've taken that route a few times.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Best route so far !!!

Jump on some two lane roads heading west when you get to Texas and I think you're good to go !!!!Kurt
Warning - only try this if you happen to be carrying a spare gas can or two - there be some pretty long stretches of road out there. :nojoke:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Using Microsoft Streets and Trips, follow Hwy 1 out of Jacksonville to Hwy 17 to Hwy 23 just south of the Georgia-North Carolina line. Plan a meal at the Dillard Inn as you go through Dillard, Georgia. If you follow it closely, Hwy 23 will take you all the way to Mackinaw City in Michigan with only short stretches (less than 200 miles) of freeway.

I have done all of 23 north of Asheville, not sure what the route through Georgia on 1 and 17 would be like. I'd advise that you jump on the freeway to bypass the cities of Ashville, N.C., Columbus, OH, Toledo, Oh and then 23 becomes a 4 lane divided hwy in Michigan from the state line to Flint where you join I-75 until you get off at Hwy 13 (55 miles) to rejoin 23 in Standish, MI.

Lots to see and do along the way, far more if you plan side trips like the Dragon (129 in Tennessee - North Carolina) and the Blue ridge Parkway near Asheville. Plenty of places to stay so lodging should never be a problem either.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Hi everyone. I plan to ride my Goldwing/Hannigan Trike up to Michigan from Florida in July. Does anyone know of a good route, other than straight up 75? 75 is OK, but I do not like going thru Macon, Ga., Atlanta, GA. or Cincinnati. I don't mind going a little out of my way to get around these cities. I tried 95 to 26 to 77 all the way up to the Ohio pike, but that was even worse.
It sounds like you are asking for an Interstate Highway route. In 2012 I was looking for a 1500 mile minimum ride from Jacksonville to the Detroit area and finally came up with taking I-10 almost to New Orleans (Slidell) before heading Northeast on I-59 through Mississippi to Meridian before getting on I-20 and riding to Birmingham, Alabama. Then got onto I-65 and took it all the way to Louisville, Kentucky and got onto I-71 until it joined up with I-75 in Cincinnati.

I went through Cincinnati several times last summer and did not have any problems. It seems like most of the I-75 construction is done except for only one area.

Much less truck traffic on my route until I got onto I-75 where it picks up dramatically.

gramps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do this every year.

US-441 to Franklin NC.
In Franklin take NC hwy 28 to US-129 (stop at Deal's Gap).
Ride US-129 through the Dragon and into Knoxville, TN.
In Knoxville you can get on US-441 again but will end up on I75.
Get off I75 in Caryville TN take US-25W to Jellico TN and back on 75.
I stretch out on I75 to Cincinnati then take US-127 into Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Bring a shovel with you. Another 5" of snow tonight. We'll be snowed in until August at this rate...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
gas

Best route so far !!!

Jump on some two lane roads heading west when you get to Texas and I think you're good to go !!!!

Kurt
Warning - only try this if you happen to be carrying a spare gas can or two - there be some pretty long stretches of road out there. :nojoke:

It's never a bad idea to have extra gas on a long trip... That being said, I've ridden through Texas via back roads a couple of times without extra gas and never had an issue.....

Kurt

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Bring a shovel with you. Another 5" of snow tonight. We'll be snowed in until August at this rate...
Post a few pics, Howard. I haven't seen snow since the last time. ;)
thecruiser

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
We got seven or so inches last night... again. I will not be able to get out of the driveway till the end of may! :evil: I do like to visit Michigan though. Usually go right up Route 23. We have been all over Michigan.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Post a few pics, Howard. I haven't seen snow since the last time. ;)
thecruiser
Here you go, swimming anyone?

This is minus the 4" we got last night. We are now in 3rd place for snowiest winter ever, the next one should put us in second place. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts