GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I are heading out next week for a trip to Montana. Will be going from Dallas to Denver to Dubois WY, Grans Tetons Yellowstone then to Greatfalls MT.

Any recommendations on things to see along the way?

·
Registered
869 Posts
chief joseph highway and bear tooth pass

watch for the oil slicks near the river, compliments of the pipe line under the river

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you end up in the eastern side of Montana or the western side of ND be aware you are not likely to find any hotel rooms. There is lots of oil exploration going on and the guys working the rigs have all the rooms booked. I am not sure how far west this goes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Would late September be pushing it as far as the weather goes for this area? The wife unit and I want to do a trip to Yellowstone this fall but can't get away until Sept. 24th.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We had a LOT of snow last winter, and the Beartooth Hiway and Going To The Sun Hiway were buried. The last I heard, Going To The Sun was still closed and they are working hard to get it open.

Since you're coming through the Grand Tetons, I'd recommend riding through Yellowstone Park, exiting at West Yellowstone, and ride through Ennis to Helena.....it's the most direct and picturesque route to Great Falls. If you have time, take the boat tour at Gates Of The Mountains, which is about 15 miles north of Helena.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

watch for the oil slicks near the river, compliments of the pipe line under the river
I agree. We just got back from there last week. Beartooth was closed because of snow so we rode Chief Joseph....great. We were on Beartooth Pass twice before and if I had to pick which one was better I would say Chief Joseph.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Somewhere along the way you will have to eat, so make sure you find "Sir Scott's Oasis" in Manhattan, MT. It will not be far off any route you take from Yellowstone to Great Falls. Very interesting western eatery with LOTS of food for the buck! If you like steak, that's the place to go (even though I usually order the 2 x 1.5" thick pork chops).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts