GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from mt. Rushmore on my 2018 DCT tour on Friday. Man what a ride. 3500 miles and not a bit of problems, bike rode like a champ. I left on the 4th and took all back roads (with the exception of a few hundred miles of freeways) going from Corvallis OR. Going over rattle snake pass out of Joseph OR then Lolo pass into Missoula MT. Then into Billings MT and on into Keystone SD on Sunday where I stayed for a couple of days and enjoyed the roads around there. Then headed back on Tuesday morning to Red Lodge MT. Got up Wednesday morning and went over Beartooth pass. Although the whole ride was a blast I have to say Beartooth was the highlight of the ride. My average day was about 400 miles but there where a couple of 500 miles days in there, and I have to say my Russell Day long seat lived up to its name and reputation, I never once had to think about stopping to give my butt a rest only to stretch my legs and take in the sights. My utopia back rest also did it’s job. I am a solo rider so I took a saddlemen br4100 that held 3 pairs of jeans 8 Shirts and socks and underwear, along with a small tool kit, my 17” computer, my Cpap and shaving kit all in the br4100, so if you are a solo rider I highly recommend this bag for long trips. I also took a saddlemen 3515 that I put on my top rack that I put 2, 1 gallon gas cans in (this gave me peace of mind since I have never been on these roads before.) So I just wanted to share a little bit of this awesome ride I just had with everyone. This is only the 2nd time that I have taken a trip like this, the other one is when I bought the bike last year and flew out to Chattanooga and rode it back to Oregon.
Russ

·
Registered
422 Posts
Excellent! And the link to the pictures is: ... :)

Reactions: Order66

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just did a similar run from Calgary. My son and I did virtually every road in the Black Hills over a 4 day stay using Rapid City as home base. Vanocker Canyon, Spearfish Canyon, Iron Mountain Road and Needles highway were awesome. Although Needles took a long time to ride due to road construction. I loved how the DCT in sport always seemed to be in the right gear both going into and coming out of the corners.

Beagle

·
Registered
376 Posts
Russell1234 -Also planning trip that will include the Black Hills & Beartooth Pass this summer, thanks for the report.

Beagle - re: the Needles Hwy construction, was that this summer?

Tim

·
Registered
324 Posts
Russell1234 -Also planning trip that will include the Black Hills & Beartooth Pass this summer, thanks for the report.

Beagle - re: the Needles Hwy construction, was that this summer?

Tim
It was the last week of June this year, so like 3 weeks ago. They were chip sealing the entire road from start to finish. Most of the work was already done. I would imagine that it has been completed by now.

Beagle

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
sounds like a great ride, thanks for posting. Id rank Beartooth second, right behind the million dollar highway for me. love them both. will be doing a trip from denver to glacier to Oregon to cali next year. i hear there are a lot of good roads in OR

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Just got back from the Black Hills today, it is a good ride. We based 5 days in Deadwood, SD at the Travelodge; highly recommend it if your in the area. Not like most Travelodge, they actually have 4 buildings in a cluster, elevated, covered, garage parking (selfpark) and are biker friendly. Cleanings supplies by the front door (free). They have a daily continental breakfast (well that is what they call it), each day I had all the scrambled eggs and ham I wanted, pancakes, homemade muffins, biscuits and sausage gravy, orange juice and coffee; this is complementary with the room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts