GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be going from Virginia Beach, Va to Niagara falls Sunday and I noticed the Wings nav has us going a different route than what google maps shows.

Google maps route: https://goo.gl/maps/brsXv

Goldwing Navy route: https://goo.gl/maps/ywdZO

The google route is faster according to google but the route the nav is telling me is mainly interstates so it could be slightly faster, although it hits Pittsburgh head on. What are your opinions?

The (07) Nav is updated to the current maps from garmin and I haven't adjusted the settings yet to see what it shows but I'm curious what your opinions are.

·
Registered
758 Posts
FWIW.

I live in Rochester about an hour east of Niagara Falls. I make the drive down to Myrtle Beach every year now for the past 20+ years for golf and hate both those routes you have on Google and Navi. I hate DC traffic

This is what I do, take it for what it's worth.

Come up 95 to Fredricksburg and get on 17 north/west to Warrenton and make your way over to Winchester. At Winchester jump on 81 north all the way to Harrisburg PA. North of Harrisburg, jump on 11 North through Selinsgrove, Williamsport and up to Mansfield. Stay on 15 to Painted Post, New York and then jump on 86/15/390 north toward Dansville at exit 7 ( north of Dansville) on 390 north take 408 into Mt Morris, right onto 36 and then left (west) onto Rt 20A, stay on 20A until 219 north and finish your route to the final destination.

Williamsport is the home of the Little League and where the Little World series happens......if you care.

I avoid Pittsburgh like the plague on my bike, roads are crappy and traffic is always bad.

Another alternative is to jump off 81 at Hagerstown and follow your route up from there, either way works.

If you have time I can give you alternate routes up through the finger lakes, wineries etc. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting, that route seems to add about 45 minutes to the trip.

I figured out the bug in the bike. I had avoid tolls selected. Getting rid of it modified the route so its closer to 10 hours driving time but still hits the northeastern section of the Pittsburgh beltway. DC shouldn't be terrible at the time we hit it. I figure even if we leave around 4am we should hit it around 8am on Sunday. The PA into NY section is what confuses me the most as I've never been up there before.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The first rt is a nice ride north of Bedford. I99 is quiet. Rt 219 north is a really nice ride, but it is pretty slow for a long trip. The second route takes you up I79 which is west of Pittsburgh. The traffic is not bad at all. You can hit some slow downs around Cranberry, but usually not.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I live in Niagara and just came back from the Dragon last week. We always use the I79 on the way down and as Ponton wrote, we've never had a problem with traffic around Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Not sure which is better but the GW Nav route taking you through Buffalo seems like the same route my Portable took us 3 years ago. We came off the Blue Ridge after being disgusted with all the road construction.

·
Registered
633 Posts
FWIW.

I live in Rochester about an hour east of Niagara Falls. I make the drive down to Myrtle Beach every year now for the past 20+ years for golf and hate both those routes you have on Google and Navi. I hate DC traffic

This is what I do, take it for what it's worth.

Come up 95 to Fredricksburg and get on 17 north/west to Warrenton and make your way over to Winchester. At Winchester jump on 81 north all the way to Harrisburg PA. North of Harrisburg, jump on 11 North through Selinsgrove, Williamsport and up to Mansfield. Stay on 15 to Painted Post, New York and then jump on 86/15/390 north toward Dansville at exit 7 ( north of Dansville) on 390 north take 408 into Mt Morris, right onto 36 and then left (west) onto Rt 20A, stay on 20A until 219 north and finish your route to the final destination.

Williamsport is the home of the Little League and where the Little World series happens......if you care.

I avoid Pittsburgh like the plague on my bike, roads are crappy and traffic is always bad.

Another alternative is to jump off 81 at Hagerstown and follow your route up from there, either way works.

If you have time I can give you alternate routes up through the finger lakes, wineries etc. PM me if interested.
this is a very nice and scenic route, travelled it many times from Batavia,NY to York,PA for a Car Show

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You mention the northeast section of Pittsburgh's beltway. That would be the turnpike from Breezewood to I 79. That is even further from town and less traffic. Pittsburgh's a small town and is only a problem if you try to go through the tunnels to downtown. The gps will often route you through Pittsburgh but there is nothing there. Don't go downtown. Ever! Going around Pittsburgh is rarely a problem. The biggest risk is on the PA Turnpike. There are often crashes that shut the road down for hours. If you want to sight see go up I99 and 219, it is beautiful. Ballistics rt through Harrisburg is also a great ride. Once you get north of town it is great country. If you want to just get on to Niagara then take the turnpike.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. Looking like the GW nav route around the outer edges of Pittsburgh will be the route we take since we are looking at a full day of riding so sightseeing isn't a priority until we get up to Bufalo/Niagara area. We plan to cross at Buffalo then ride the river for the most part up to the falls. Our hotel is maybe 3 blocks walking distance to the falls so once the bike is parked it will stay parked for the night as we take in the sights. I'm just hoping for good weather while we are there, good weather for the ride up would be a bonus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts