GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a business trip coming up December 5th to the 9th. I was wondering if taking the bike from Las Vegas, NV to San Francisco would be possible during this time frame. I know what the weather around here will be like, but I don't know what the weather is there then. Make sense? According to the averages, the temps should be in the low 60's during the day and 40's during the night. Going there, I will be taking the most direct route, I-15 to I-5 and head north. Coming home, I will have more time and I plan on taking a scenic route, if possible.

Anyway, any hepe or input is appreciated. If the weather is too bad or is very unpredicitible during this time, I will just fly commerical (yuck!).

Thanks and be safe!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bret - that should be pretty doable at that time although weather during the winter months can always be questionable for any of the possible routes. More than likely your first route choice would be over the Tehachapi Pass - Hwy 58 over to Bakersfield. At that point I would suggest a fun route might be to continue on Hwy 58 all the way over to Hwy 101 (just a great section of road to ride on a motorcycle) or another alternative would be to make your way up to Coalinga and heading east on Hwy 198 over to Hwy 25 and going north to Hollister (also some really fun sections of motorcycle roads).

I've traveled over Tehachapi Pass throughout the winter months without too much difficulty although just like any of the mountain passes that have some elevation if the right weather combinations happen, then riding on a motorcycle might be the last thing you want to be doing. Check the weather sites for locations along the route and also check out the live web cams for that area and you should have a good handle on what you are in store for conditions. Dress acccordingly too.

Have a great ride!

DaleC

Here is a web page that I made for myself to check weather conditions when I want to head out on a ride. It may help you too.

http://www.dalecroy.com/TravelRoutes.html

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Dale - Really like your weather page, but when I click on the forecast for a city, it comes up, then I click the Back One Page arrow at the top left, nothing happens and I can't get back to the full page. I'm probably doing something not real bright, but what?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Smitty - Hmmm, I'm not having that problem with either Mozilla Firefox (the browser I mainly use - ver. 1.5.0.7) or Internet Explorer (ver. 7.0) and hitting the back button brings me back to my travel page. You might try clicking on the small arrow next to the back button that allows you to go to all your recent pages and it should list the page title in the drop-down list.

Hope it works for you,

DaleC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dale, Thanks so much for the information, that was exactly what I was looking for; also the weather page is cool, as well. I am a weather watcher and this will help with future trips into California. Don't know yet if I will take the bike, we will keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Dale- After some rebooting and fiddling (highly technical term) I downloaded Firefox 2. and everything works just fine.
Thank-you for the page.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am a Dispatcher in Kern county Ca. If you deside to go over the Tehachapi Pass I would suggest you travel in the late morning or early afternoon. It will be cool and there is always the chance of snow and rain. you can always call the CHP at 1 661 864 4412 they are a busy comm center so may have to let the phone ring. have a great trip.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
bigdadof5 wrote:
It will be cool and there is always the chance of snow and rain. you can always call the CHP at 1 661 864 4412
Good Idea. I stop at the scales on the Mohave side and ask them if its good or bad over the pass, and use the can "too much coffee" :wink: before I head over the hill. I go over the the Tehachapis twice a month thru the winter. Good Road

1 - 8 of 8 Posts