GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hers's another question from a new Goldwing owner.

When I rode a BMW on trips I brought along the Beemer rider's suggested tool kit which included everything from a spark plug wrench, spare alternator belt, oil site glass, bailing wire, and rescue tape, to name just a few.

What do Wing riders pack for tools, besides a tire kit?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

When I rode a BMW on trips I brought along the Beemer rider's suggested tool kit which included everything from a spark plug wrench, spare alternator belt, oil site glass, bailing wire, and rescue tape, to name just a few.

You forgot to mention an extra final drive!

Here's a recent thread on the topic...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292023

Z

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

When I rode a BMW on trips I brought along the Beemer rider's suggested tool kit which included everything from a spark plug wrench, spare alternator belt, oil site glass , bailing wire, and rescue tape, to name just a few.

Is this something that you could have problems with?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oil site glass?

Yeah, though I never personally did, I've read about the seals going bad, site glass cracking or melting, fussy air head stuff.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I carry the Honda GW tool kit, my cell phone and AMA road service card...I do have a tire repair kit and small compressor in case of a flat....:doorag:

·
Registered
293 Posts
My kit came with my 2010 GW,,,,I don't think I've ever looked in it, I doubt it's worth much.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Tool Kit??????????????? :wrong:

Its a Honda! Nothing is ever certain, but a few basic tools, find wrenches and sockets that match the sizes in the tool kit and replace the stamped junk with proper wrenches. That along with a compresser and sticky ropes is all I have needed so far.Well, carried, not needed. LOL Yamaha was as bullet proof too.

Enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
DQ coupons.

Oh, and crush washers!

But on the serious side, I did make up a tool kit with some metric wrenches and such. For one thing a deep well socket and 1/2 inch drive pull handle for the /rear tire lug nuts.

I threw the one that came with the bike on a shelf somewhere. It's pretty much useless.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Touring Tool Kit

Since my wife and I each have 08 1800's, I use my right saddle bag for all the mechanical stuff. I use heavy duty canvas zipper bags (Home Depot tool dept) to carry a set of metric sockets (including a 21 or 22mm socket for the right side front axle bolt (don't remember the exact size), ratchets, extensions, combination wrenches, various blade and Phillips screwdrivers (including the 90 degree Phillips head - this is real handy for changing PIAA bulbs (1100X) on the front. I also have spare fuses, relays, some duct tape, Rescue Tape, some 14ga electrical wire, some stainless steel safety wire, various tire repairs kits - Dynaplug, Stop-n-go. I also have some jumper cables for motorcycles. Two full covers (his & hers), tire gauges, nitrile gloves, tire gauges, flashlight, tie-down straps, and some other things I can't remember.

Now after 40,000 miles touring - what have I used? I did use the 90 degree Phillips head to change a PIAA bulb this year. I did help a fellow rider at Knoxville Wing Ding with his right pocket door and got use some tools.

Again, all this fits easily in the right saddle bag. Since I am a pilot and an engineer, these tools/gadgets seem quite normal to me. Others I am sure would have a chuckle.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
credit card and air gage

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Unless you are going to go to Alaska or some of the back roads out west, all you need are the basics. Some spare fuses, a tire kit including small compressor. And a phone.

The way traffic is now, if my bike dies on the road, I am going to get away from it, hope some fool does not slam into it before it gets towed, but for sure would not attempt to install a new alternator beside the road. A battery yea maybe, undo one lug and run, when clear undo the other one and run ,fasten one and run. Lol!!

Not me, they are crazy and will run right over you. I will go sit way away from the bike and use the phone.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Do you carry all that stuff when you travel in your car??? Spare belts, hoses, head gaskets?? Where does it stop, You don't need to rebuilt it on the road. Carry a tool kt, flat repair kit, a few fuses and a roadside service card.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Rescue tape and some wire makes sense to me. Tools don't help much unless you carry parts. I lost some screws in my headset once and was able to tape my helmet to get back home. Tape wouldn't help much on hot parts. Add something to fix a flat and you are good to go assuming you have a cell phone and a credit card. Find somebody that is a member of GWRRA and see if they have an old Gold Book they would let you have.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Dixie & I have traveled some pretty backwoodsy roads in Upper Michigan, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, and the Smoky Mountains where there may or may not be any cell towers or service people available. Last year I rode out west with some friends through Yellow Stone and Bear Tooth Pass ... whatever broke had to be fixed by me or the tow bills would have been wicked !!!

I have fixed stuck (welded) solenoids out on the road. Repaired a self destructing front fender. Had to spray the water out of a wet handlebar switch (lots of rain ... no headlights ... WD40 fixed that one)

GOLDBOOK is invaluable !!!

Joe in California ... we travel far more on the bike than we do in the car ... much greater distances too.

Kit Carson ... we usually choose to travel back roads ... in case of a problem, traffic would be a blessing ... we were on roads in the UPPER Peninsula of Michigan where the next car might be 2-3 hours later.

In busier areas many things (battery... headlights ... fuzes ... wiring ) can be repaired out on the road when you can find a handy Auto Zone Store. I rarely take my bike to a Honda dealer ... too expensive ... That credit card might be handy but you have to pay sooner or later ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts