GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip from Alabama to Colorado and back through the Black Hills in late June. Do any of you have any suggestions for roads that I should travel in Colorado, Idaho and Utah?

Thanks
William

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
All of 'em!!!!! That is a really tough one. Colorado has to include the one thru Durango - Silverton - Ouray - (US 550) - and then thru the Black Canyon National Park.

Another of my favorites is from Shoshoni to Thermopolis in Wyoming down the Wind River canyon to the hot springs at Thermopolis.

If you are going north south in Idaho, US 95 from Boise to Lewiston is a tough act to follow, and is US 12 thru Lolo Pass if you are going east west.

Utah has so much to see - but Highway 12 that hits the Escalante Staircase and goes thru Capital Reel is one terrific road. Zion is another place you should not pass by.

As has been said - so many roads, so little time. Ride safe - I know you will have a great time.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Hey William are you taking John with you?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I am planning a trip from Alabama to Colorado and back through the Black Hills in late June. Do any of you have any suggestions for roads that I should travel in Colorado, Idaho and Utah?

Thanks
William
William, I am just down the road from you (Hayden, Al) I am also retied, so I am home most of the time, if you happen to get down this way you are welcome to come to my home, and I can try to help you with some things to see out that way, I have been out to those states for the past two years, there is to much to tell you, to try to do a posting on here...well for me any way.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
William,
I don't want to steal any of WingNUTZZ's glory, but an excellent source of information about riding in Colorado is the Rockies Gold web site. Go to http://rockies-gold.net/2008.htm and you will see a wealth of information about rides out of the Montrose area. Included are picture maps, descriptions of attractions and a very valuable resource, downloadable GPS files. I was out there last summer for Rockies-Gold II and the riding is absolutely wonderful. Having the maps in the GPS made it the best it could be. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
William,
I don't want to steal any of WingNUTZZ's glory, but an excellent source of information about riding in Colorado is the Rockies Gold web site. Go to http://rockies-gold.net/2008.htm and you will see a wealth of information about rides out of the Montrose area. Included are picture maps, descriptions of attractions and a very valuable resource, downloadable GPS files. I was out there last summer for Rockies-Gold II and the riding is absolutely wonderful. Having the maps in the GPS made it the best it could be. Hope this helps.
+1 on Dave's info. During R-G 07 we went early and thought that we had seen everything that Dave recommended, but we talked to Dave and he gave us a few more rides, and one thing about Dave and his rides......they don't involve super slabs or straight, boring roads! Check out the auto museum~ not only is the ride to and from great, but you can see what all of the money in the world can't buy, (and take a "close" look at the horse out front:lol:)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
That's really tough, get a map and zigzag back and forth. Those states have some of the best roads in the country

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Boy, oh boy, how much time are you going to be able to spend out here? As Harry said above, you'll want to ride them all. As for Utah:

Hwy 24 through Capital Reef National Park.

Hwy 12 from Torrey to Panguitch.

Hwy 12 includes the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Bryce Canyon National Park, and Red Canyon.

Zion National Park.

Cedar Breaks National Monument east of Cedar City gets an honorable mention mostly because of the roads around it (U-14, U-148, U-143). CBNM is beautiful, but I felt it was a bit anti-climatic after seeing all the areas mentioned above.

If you want to avoid I-15 going north to Salt Lake City, travel on US 89. There's less traffic and it has pretty rural scenery and a couple of nice canyons.

After visiting SLC (don't miss Temple Square) on your way north to Idaho, go east through Emigration Canyon to East Canyon and north (U-66) to Morgan.

Logan Canyon (US 89) from Logan, UT to Bear Lake UT/ID.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Should I stay on Route 24 or take the Coral Reef National Park Road if I can only do one of the two?
If you mean Capitol Reef National Park Road, I am not familiar with it. I have only traveled on U-24 through the park. The road in Goggle Maps labeled as Capitol Reef National Park road is paved for a few miles, but looks like it turns to a dirt road (according to the map on the CRNP web site). Clicky here

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Yes the park road turns to dirt. You can take it to the Burr Trail and come out at Boulder on Hwy 12. But would not rec on a wing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Not the first time that Microsoft Streets and Trips has let me down!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks
William
From Colorado Springs to Westcliffe: Hwy 115, 67, 96; to Poncha Springs: 69, 50; south on 285 to 114; north on 114 to 50; west to 149, south to Lake City, Creede, Southfork, west on 160 to Pagosa Springs and Durango, north on 550 to Ouray and Montrose, Delta, Grand Junction; east on I70 to Glenwood Springs, south to Aspen...

Email me for more!

John
IBAARK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts