GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting deeper into to it today...pulled the triple tree today and found the jam nuts loose...explains the "clunking" sound when I lifted up of forks. The triple tree is as aftermarket (don't know if this is a "Rocky" or not. The stem is not drilled and pinned to TT, as was mentioned in one of the past post on this site. If it is a Rocky, it also must be an early one, as also mentioned, in the same thread, the edges were radiused...this one has square corners. The seals were not doing their thing as bearing and stem is rusted. Once I get bearing removed, I will bead blast stem to clean it up (avoiding ground areas where bearing press on). Gonna replace bearings and seals and put it back in service unless there are additional issues that you all know about this particular TT setup. Thanks in advance.
Wood Tool Font Liquid Gas
Wood Musical instrument Rectangle Hardwood Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber Rim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Machined up as set of bearing "driver/pullers' for installing the outer races into the headstock ... whole lot better than spending hundreds of dollars for the "professional" tool. I just loaded the races on the machined drivers and held the threaded rod with one hand and tightened the nut on the top to drawn th bearing into the headstock. Thought I might need another wrench on the bottom jam nuts to keep threaded rod from spinning but all it took was just gripping the threaded rod with my hand as I turned the top nut with a ratchet wrench. if anyone needs to install a set of All Balls in their headstock, I'll be happy to loan them out, just cover shipping.
Ruler Wood Office ruler Tool Metalworking hand tool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts