GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of finalizing the purchase of a Hannigan Trike kit. Does anyone have a 6 degrees rake on their triple tree, how does the bike steer, and do you like it? I ride a lot in the mountains and I was told it makes for less fatigue on very curvy roads.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Before I got my RS kit I test road a couple different trikes with 4.5 & 5* rakes. I have the 6* on my trike. IMHO I feel that it is easier to steer in the curves.
If you haven’t had a trike before their is a learning curve on steering. After picking mine up I road home 150 miles and 3/4 of the ride was in the rain. Handled very good for a rookie. After I got home my dealer called and asked how the ride ho e was. When I told him about the rain he said I won’t have any problem riding a trike.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I have a 4.5 rake kit on my Hannigan and I've ridden a Roadsmith with a 6 degree rake and I found the Roadsmith probably half again easier to steer. It was a bit "twitchy" for about the first 1/2 mile because I was over steering it. I just relaxed my hands and it rode great. If I bought a new trike today I would get the 6 degree but I don't think you will regret either of them.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sounds like a unanimous vote for the 6 degree kit. Of all the Goldwing trike conversions out there Hannigan is the best suited to the 6 degree. It's the longest and widest conversion. Both factors have a lot to do with how well the trike behaves when raked.

You won't regret doing it!!! Like a fellow told me back when I had my '06 converted "It's like adding power steering to a dump truck!" When I converted my '15 the rake kit was on order before the conversion kit (NO KIDDING)....

·
IronMan
17,112 Posts
GOOD INFO ! I HAVE A YARD WITH 6 DEGREE "PITCH" TO IT HOW ABOUT BRING THAT 6 DEGREE RACK OVER AND GET THE LEAVES THIS FALL .:grin2:>:) I DONT HAVE A TRIKE BUT WITH THOSE I KNOW WORST PART IS IN THE TWISTIES (WEAR YA OUT ) WHY DONT THEY JKUST PUT ON THE 6 WHATS THE DOWNSIDE ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question, I am also looking at the extra gas tank, what kind of a hit in gas mileage will the bike take once converted to a Trike???

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The question, I am also looking at the extra gas tank, what kind of a hit in gas mileage will the bike take once converted to a Trike???
I don't have the extra tank and non of people I ride with that have trikes have one either. I get a minimum of 160 miles before the idiot light comes on then figure another 20 if I want to push it. That is at speeds off 70 mph or slower. Above that it drops like a rock. Rode across Texas at 80 mph and it dropped to 120 for the idiot light and I didn't even consider going much farther. Never and any problems finding fuel and besides. I need to stretch my legs after 2 hours or so anyway.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I don't have the extra tank and non of people I ride with that have trikes have one either. I get a minimum of 160 miles before the idiot light comes on then figure another 20 if I want to push it. That is at speeds off 70 mph or slower. Above that it drops like a rock. Rode across Texas at 80 mph and it dropped to 120 for the idiot light and I didn't even consider going much farther. Never and any problems finding fuel and besides. I need to stretch my legs after 2 hours or so anyway.
You did mean the low fuel light... Right? :wink2:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
For me, the aux tank was a requirement. My mileage dropped to around 30 mpg cruising a little over 70 mph. Go faster and it drops more. I have a CSC Cobra with a 3.5 gal aux tank for a total of 10 gallons. I like the peace-of-mind to go just about anywhere at any speed with no unpleasant surprises.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Can you get a 8 degree rake? My wife has a 8 degree rake on her Valkyrie Interstate with a newer Roadsmith Trike kit and 8 degree rake. She had a Valkyrie Trike with a 6 degree rake and it was much harder to turn in the mountains. 8 degree rake made it easy for her to turn in the mountains. Friend of ours put a 8 degree rake on his 2008 Goldwing with Roadsmith Trike kit and loves it.

Dan

·
Registered
608 Posts

My trike mileage is more sensitive to speed than my 2-wheel Wing was. My CSC kit dropped it from 40 mpg at 60 mph to about 34 mpg when I installed the kit. But at 70 mph the 2-wheeler would still get 36-37 mpg while the trike dropped to 28-29 mpg. YMMV.:wink2:

·
Registered
373 Posts
None of the guys I ride with (KY-G) have aux tanks either, but I usually get 200 or so between fill ups. I agree about stretching after 2 hours!

·
Registered
608 Posts

Everyone who doesn't have an aux fuel tank will tell you that you don't need one--and that's true. You don't have to have one--that's why it's an option. :grin2:
But the aux fuel tank is very nice to have. Why? Flexibility. Yes, most people want to stop every couple of hours to stretch and what-not. But it's nice if that stop doesn't have to be a gas station. Maybe it's a restaurant or a park instead. With a 300-mile range I can go most all day in the mountains without filling up. Sure, gas is easy to find most places. But it's nice not to have to plan your stops around it so much.

·
Registered
717 Posts
++++++ Exactly my sentiments! I rarely get into my AUX thank supply on local rides but when I leave town it's with a full load. Sometimes I have to remind myself to transfer the two week old gas into the primary tank so it doesn't get old.

There are places out here in west Texas where gas can be scarce so the tank does come in handy at times. Also, I carry a siphon hose and have used it when fellow riders misjudged their range for what ever reason.

·
Registered
165 Posts
All I can add is I run out of gas before my tank does. So while an extra tank may be a nice thing to have to give one the extra distance.
For a lot of us. We need a break before the tank needs a fill.
So my OEM tank is just fine with me.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I DO NOT have the aux tank, and do not feel that I ever needed it..............***why carry around and extra 50-60 lbs of wasted weight all the time*** You know the area that you live in, better then any of us, How hard is it to find a gas station??? Have you ever needed to find a station in an emergency with your two wheeled bike or even your car, ??

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I DO NOT have the aux tank, and do not feel that I ever needed it..............***why carry around and extra 50-60 lbs of wasted weight all the time*** You know the area that you live in, better then any of us, How hard is it to find a gas station??? Have you ever needed to find a station in an emergency with your two wheeled bike or even your car, ??

Ronnie
I agree with you I've had my trike in 44 states and 3 provinces of Canada in 84K miles and ran out of gas right after I bought it and that was because I listened to a friend of mine about how far I could go on reserve and came up about 3 miles short and coasted to the gas station (fortunately it was down hill all the way) Did come close to running out one other time but again it wasn't one of my brighter moments as I passed a gas station thinking the next one was just 15 miles down the road, however when I punched it into the GPS because it then came up with road miles with the station 17 miles from the exit at a 90 degree angle. Good old trig coming into play.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took a 5 mpg hit with a CSC kit. the rpm dropped due to the rear gearing change. but MPG dropped. Just more added weight

·
Vendor
16,062 Posts
I am in the process of finalizing the purchase of a Hannigan Trike kit. Does anyone have a 6 degrees rake on their triple tree, how does the bike steer, and do you like it? I ride a lot in the mountains and I was told it makes for less fatigue on very curvy roads.
Yes ... any degree rake kit will fit; however, this question should really be directed to the manufacture of the trike kit itself. Notice that I did not say to ask the installing dealer. The best rake degree for most kits can also be found on the manufactures web page.

Here is what I find to be true. Many installers will charge you for a "branded" rake kit, but instead they'll install a non-branded or aftermarket kit. The aftermarket kits sell for about 1/2 the price and often only come in 1 generic angle 6.5 deg. These aftermarket kits may not be at all in the customers best interest. However, for the installer, it is much better mark-up.

My advise, insist on the kit your trike manufactures says to use and accept nothing else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts