GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At breakfast this morning, we were talking about rake kits, tripple trees if you will. My friend said that Motor Trike holds the patent on GL1800 trike rake kits (tripple tree) and sells them to all other trike kit manufactures.

I said I had talked to MT with a tripple tree question and was told they purchased the rake kit for the GL1500 from The Trike Shop and built their own GL1800 kits in house.

You folks with other brand rake kits have any input on this subject. I have bet a breakfast on the outcome.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Mine is called the EZ steer. I thought it was made by Champion, but could be wrong. When I talked to Motor Trike, they said no need for rake kit. That would seem a strange position to take, if in fact they are the sole producers of it.

Since bikes have been raked all the way back to the early 60's w/ choppers, I would be surprised that there would be a patent held by the more recent kit mfg's., but that is just my first thought.

I

·
0 Posts
George:

Tell your friend to beware of "urban legends", otherwise known as gossip and BS.

There is also a company that will take your triple tree and modify it to any reasonable rake angle you like. Patent infrigement? I don't think so.

I seriously doubt that a modification of any triple tree is even patentable, nor would be the manufacture of any triple tree for any purpose.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sk8ter, thanks and I will enjoy my breakfast.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As you can read, I am the proud owner of a Champion trike, and won't give it back for anything. I also never did get it raked, and really don't think it needs it anyway.
That being said, one thing I can't understand is how any vendor, Champion, or otherwise, can charge such a crazy price of $1,095.00, or such near, for what is nothing more than a slightly redone triple tree. There is no real reason why something like that should cost more than maybe $300.00, except there is only limited amount of suppliers for such a part, and they have decided that they are going to make as much as profit, as the market will allow them. If the price was alot more reasonable, then maybe I would do it, maybe.

I

·
0 Posts
goldwing2000 said:
As you can read, I am the proud owner of a Champion trike, and won't give it back for anything. I also never did get it raked, and really don't think it needs it anyway.
That being said, one thing I can't understand is how any vendor, Champion, or otherwise, can charge such a crazy price of $1,095.00, or such near, for what is nothing more than a slightly redone triple tree. There is no real reason why something like that should cost more than maybe $300.00, except there is only limited amount of suppliers for such a part, and they have decided that they are going to make as much as profit, as the market will allow them. If the price was alot more reasonable, then maybe I would do it, maybe.
Goldwing 2K:

Advancing age and/or physical limitations may someday change your mind about getting a rake kit. Many of us find it very desirable and worth every dime.

The triple tree on a motorcycle is a critical component, and if it fails the result could be disastrous. I suspect that any manufacturer of aftermarket triple trees is likely paying very high premiums for product liability insurance. This cost is factored into the cost of the product.

What do you think the actual cost of manufacturing your car or motorcycle is? Well less than half of what the retail price is.

There are many other factors that must be figured into the cost of a product. If you have never been in the manufacturing business, it is understandable why you think a rake kit is overpriced.

You may have noticed that we all live in a competitive marketplace. Do you think that if somebody could make rake kits for $500 and make a reasonable profit while blowing all the competition away, that they wouldn't do so?

Ride safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
triple tree/rake kit

HI, I too was told that with the 1800 that I would not have to have a rake, so when I built my MT I did not order the rake and when I got the rear end installed I had to see how it was going to ride so I laid the seat on it and took off down the road and when I came to a sharp curve at a pretty good speed I found out that if I was just going to ride mostly on interstate or straight roads it would be alright but I like the twisties and I also have back problems so I contacted a place called Side Effects in Kamloops BC in Canada and talked to a Mr. Smith, he listened to how I said I was going to be rideing and suggested the amount of rake or trail adjustment that would work best for me. I took my tripple tree off and shipped it to him and he made the proper angle adjustments and shiped it back to me. The cost was $750.00 and that was the best thing I did to my trike, I can ride with just about anyone and not get left behind or have a sore back or arms. That is just my opinion. Larry

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Have you all looked at the Euro Trike front end. They do quite a lot of modification to it, larger springs on the outside of the front forks, two shocks etc....the coolest thing I noticed was the car tire, a 14" wide rascal that should last 45000 miles....looked impressive. But 4000.00 for the complete front end...pricey

I have no idea how it would ride, I had a 02 Champion without the rake kit and it wore me out in the twisties....if I ever do it over again I will have a rake kit, test road one with a kit and there was a world of difference...just my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts