GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many trips have you ridden "coast to coast" in the US on the same bike....??

·
Vendor
15,852 Posts
From east coast to west coast, or visa versa, hundreds of times. Oh ... I'll bet you mean from the Pacific to the Atlantic, or visa versa ... 2 Wings, once each.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I always had dream about putting my bike on a 18 wheel'rrr that was going XCrounty, and ride shot gun with the driver, till the end, and then ride my bike back home, while zig zagging anywhere I wanted to see, or experience.... This way I'm still on my way home, BUT experiencing, life long dreams......So when finished "riding the dream" I'm just pulling my driveway, open the garage door, and parking...POP a beer and celebrate! BUT at 69yrs old we all know that's not going to really happen.............

Ronnie

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ronnie, that dream may still be possible. I went from Wisconsin to Washington and Oregon last year. It took about 15 days. This year I am heading east. I am 71 yrs old. If coast to coast in one ride is too much, break it down into multiple parts. Although I head out with a destination and some key points in mind, I typically don't make hotel reservations more than a day in advance. I tend to wander based on what I see along the way or suggestions from people I meet along the route.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have also been coast to coast 2 times a week for about 10 years. East coast of Lake Michigan to west coast of Lake Heron. Never been to the Pacific. Want to someday.

Still on my bucket list. 72 years old and still riding LD.

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the "on the same bike" part of your question. Do some people ride part way to a coast and then change bikes for the rest or the way? Or do they ride all the way to the coast and then change bikes for the ride back?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Jacksonville Beach, Florida to San Diego, California Iron CC50.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Once with my current bike from New York down to San Diego and back by way of San Francisco / Lake Tahoe. Second time I only got from Maine to western Utah and back. Close but no cigar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In 2017, I followed US Route 50 from Ocean City, Maryland, to Sacramento, California. Then I rode up the coast to Oregon, and made the trip back on different roads, avoiding superslab as much as possible. That's two trips coast-to-coast, done in 22 days and about 8,000 miles, leaving enough time to enjoy it immensely. When I did the trip I envisioned it being some kind of "hero's journey," difficult and trying and soul-crushingly tedious. But you know what? I'm almost ashamed to say that it was actually easy. I did it on my CTX1300, and now that I have a 2018 Wing, I'm going to do a similar trip to Alaska in 2021. I don't think the CTX would have had much trouble doing the trip again, even multiple times, and I'm nearly 100% sure the Wing will eat those miles up like candy.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I did the coast-to-coast lite 50CC Jacksonville FL to San Diego, rode up the PCH, and came back from San Francisco's Pacific coast to pick up the trace of old US50 from the east side of town to the modern US50 western terminus in W Sacramento then on to Ocean City MD. Lots of country to see.

I think US 20 is the longest road. Perhaps I'll do that one day end to end. And I'd like to ooze up north to do some trans-Canada stuff.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Too all you long rider'rrr 's you all realize I'm extremely jealous :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts