GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
SO...?
You're retired, right? You hit Americade, right? Let's meet up this year and we'll see if we can get you incentivised. Jealousy stinks.
OMG! I'm there! thank you....Yea we alway hit the Americade from Sat-Sat

Too be continued I hope!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have ridden coast to coast 8 times (4 on a Harley; 4 on a Gold Wing), and will achieve my 9th and 10th crossings this coming summer on a Gold Wing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Planning the real four corners, Florida to California to Vancouver to Prince Edwards Island (TransCanadian Highway) and south back home to Florida. I figure 10k plus or minus. Yep retired and on the bucket list. Planning on several months to enjoy and stop when something interesting surfaces. :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 2005 Gold Wing from coast of Florida to west coast of Alaska 7 times.
AlaskaBikeRun.com
I've been coast to coast, Pacific to Atlantic, eight times. Will be doing it again this May 2020. The first eight were on my ' 99 GL1500, this year will be on an 1800. Start in So. Nevada, go to the NW Oregon coast, then down to So. Cal. then to Washington D.C. then return. Approximately 30+ days in the saddle. ( A little sightseeing on the return west.) I will be 73 years young....love to ride.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've made a number of long motorcycle trips, but not as long as coast to coast. My long trips have usually been when I wanted to get to a specific destination, and hoped to enjoy the ride there. And while some parts of the country are full of great roads, there are vast swaths of the country that are dominated by straight, flat, and boring roads where one town looks the same as the one you just rode through and the one you are going to reach in a few miles. . I've never viewed a long trip as an end in itself, ie., just to be able to say to myself or others that I completed a long road trip. I guess that's why the Iron Butt Rally has never had even the least bit of appeal for me. When I was younger I made some trips of up to about 750 miles in a single day, but found it far from enjoyable, but something that had to be done to get home by a certain date and time. Probably the longest ride I've ever done where the entire, or almost entire ride was great, in and of itself, was in riding the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. But just as this several hundred mile scenic road was great, there are distances of equivalent length here in the Midwest where the entire ride is like a long chore.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
@Vito, vive la difference. I've been on some long slogs that were unenjoyable and I appreciate much of what you're saying. Let me offer some comments on the margin, not to argue or try to change your mind, but to clarify and perhaps open up room for agreement or even new happy places.

When I tripped across the IBA, it wasn't for bragging rights. I was looking for info about getting comfortable on a bike, and there was expertise there in spades with good info I could use. And did.

Whether a long day for someone is 1,000, 1,500, 750, or 400 miles, and whether or not you get a cert for it or tell anyone or just keep it a secret, there's lots of good info there about how to be more comfortable and safe for extended ops.

I have not, and probably never will, ride the IBR which is totally different than a typical cert run. There's just no way you can compare it to a long road trip; it's a competitive rally.

I have done a couple of cert rides. Some of those line up well with your "straight, flat, boring road" indictment and I usually echo the negative there. I was never big on it and am mostly out of that business now, with little interest in doing high speed highway miles for a big score on the odometer.

However:
1) some of my most memorable moments on a motorcycle were solo, straight, flat, boring, road in the middle of nowhere magical moments.
2) a bit ironically, I guess, I've even been bored on the BRP -- another sweeper into a scenic vista? !! Yawm. Ha ha ha.
3) I find there to be a lot of happiness at the bottom of a tank or a few of gas. Straight or curvy.

Re your
My long trips have usually been when I wanted to get to a specific destination, and hoped to enjoy the ride there. And while some parts of the country are full of great roads, there are vast swaths of the country that are dominated by straight, flat, and boring roads where one town looks the same as the one you just rode through and the one you are going to reach in a few miles. . I've never viewed a long trip as an end in itself, ie., just to be able to say to myself or others that I completed a long road trip.
There are a surprising number of small things you can do to enjoy the ride more, or at least not-enjoy the ride less. Whether you're doing it with the time pressure of an IBA cert or rally, or just using that body of knowledge to make your 200 mile days more pleasant.

I surprised myself and found that the long trip is an enjoyable end to itself. But NOT for the end of saying it. For the joy of doing it. YMMV.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have reached the point where 3 hours in the saddle is a long day.
I remember painfully a ride from Eureka Springs, Arkansas to my home in Mesa, AridZona several years ago when I was still in my younger '60s on a Honda ST-1100

when I got home, I said "never again" and meant it.
I have the 1800 now, and still, 3 hours at one stretch is enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One thing I did when going across the country was to plan out weird little destinations along my route. I have pictures of the World's Largest Rocking Chair, a giant spider sculpture made from a VW Beetle, the future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk, the (past!) birthplace of John Wayne and a zillion other blink-and-you-miss-it stops. I used the Roadside America site to plan out my day's adventures, and I found the most awesome treasures for the ol' memory box that were not at all destinations in and of themselves. I would not have even known about the Ashfall Fossil Beds if I hadn't seen it on that site the day before. That's how I learned that sabre-toothed deer used to be a thing. :) I don't like crowds, so although I loved seeing Old Faithful, I didn't love seeing it above the heads of a thousand fellow tourists. The road is the entire point for me, so interstates aren't much fun unless, as stated above, it's for a good reason. And having spent multiple days on Skyline Drive and the BRP, I completely get the "not another scenic vista" overload thing too. We are blessed when we figure out the kind of traveling that we love to do, and at the same time possess the perfect vehicle for that mode of travel.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
You didn't say on the same trip so ... on the same bike (2004 GL1800), twice to the west coast three times to the east coast from Houston:
  • Houston to Key West and back
  • Houston to west coast Pacific Highway (Malibu to Vancouver) and back
  • Houston to Anchorage and back
  • Houston to Nova Scotia and back
  • Houston to Outer Banks and back
If you did allow foreign (non-US) travel:
  • Pacific in Peru and Chile to Atlantic in Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil,
  • Gulf of Mexico in French Guiana, Surname, Guyana, Venezuela, Colombia to Panama
  • North Sea Scotland to Gibraltar Mediterranean on the same 2004 GL1800
@Captron, I am 67, and my buddy who travels with me, is now 73. He has been to all the same places. This summer (May/June) we plan to cross the Aegean Sea from Greece to Turkey, so it is possible!

·
Registered
8,767 Posts
How many trips have you ridden "coast to coast" in the US on the same bike....??
Define 'coast'...

Answer is once....sorta. The '06 did a 50CC ride (43 hrs, 20 mins) where I did get perilously close to ocean. :LOL:

The '16 did a 48 State ride. On that ride, I was in Californa (south-eastern...nowhere near the ocean) to Maine (Kittery, so yeah, I was close!) to Florida (Century..again, a bit from the coast)

So, that ride might have been coast-to-coast-to-coast. Sorta.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did the Iron Butt 50CC once. Jacksonville Beach to San Diego in 46 hours, mostly on I-10. Hit bad weather in Houston and temp went down to 22 degree. After 4 hours sleep we left with the temps at 18 degrees. Warmed up quick but was the coldest I ever rode in. Took our time riding back to ATL. Made it back in 3 days. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you to all for the mental pictures. Hopping to use your experiences to find my own. Wish I could have been there with all if you.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I did the USA Four Corners Tour twice on a 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 I still have sitting around that I don't care to ride ever again most likely, plus another trip to the east coast and west but not all four corners. That Kawasaki always did the job. Dad had a GL1200, uncle had a Yamaha Venture that tried big trips, and did good mostly, but both came home on a bus more than once. The Kawasaki never left me on the road stranded.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts