GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wftv.com/news/10735437/detail.html

With the number of current and former LE personnel on this board, I thought you might like to join me in prayers for the family of this trooper.

Now that the goody goody BS is over, WHY OH WHY do I still see officers not wearing body armor? You have a job that takes you into dangerous situations and to ignore this factor seems so freaking stupid. I place it right up there with not wearing your helmet or seat belt.

If I have the misfortune to run into you in a professional capacity and you don't have your vest on prepare to get a tongue lashing.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. My prayers are for the family and his co-workers. It is always hard to loose a fellow officer in the line of duty. I lost a good friend who was the sheriff of a small county in Kansas in Oct. He was shot and killed in his office. I had worked in his county for 8 years. Its never easy and I am glad that they have the suspects in custody.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
That is a tragedy for sure. I bet that this will convince alot more officers to wear there vest. I feel for his Family, they are in pain right now, however he is in a better place.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
My prayers to him and his family.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
His name "Sottile" means 'subtle' or "thin" in Italian. How ironic is that? I feel sad when I hear something like this and being a parent of a Police Officer, I feel awful for what happened and for the family of Trooper Sottile and will pray for them in these painful times.

My son told me that he is required by departmental policy to wear his bulletproof vest at roll call, but then added that some senior Officers choose not to wear it after roll call.

That's like leaving your house on the Wing wearing your full face helmet, to assure your spouse of your safety, then removing it down the street, if you live in a "no helmet required" State.

Mike

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this. The police chief in my old hometown of about 1300 people wears his vest (the thin one under his shirt). You may think that he would never need it in a small town, but the wacko's are everywhere. Last week, two 'men' (one 20, the other 24) robbed a bank in a small town, smaller than my old hometown. Armed robbery, the 24 yo had robbed this same bank a few years back. Not too smart, I guess.

One thing to remember...if they will shoot a cop, they won't think twice about shooting a civilian.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Officer down

Another brother has fallen and the "thin blue line" weeps.

May God be with his family in their time of sorrow.

Peace be with you my brother, God speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I lived in Lake placid for for 8 years ,just a small quiet town in south cental Fla.

My prayers are with his family and friends,as in small town's like this,(where no one's a stranger)this is Very Sad, small town or Big city,a Huge loss

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
After seeing a bad accident one also ask - Why don't all bikers where helmets?

scarredpelt said:
http://www.wftv.com/news/10735437/detail.html

With the number of current and former LE personnel on this board, I thought you might like to join me in prayers for the family of this trooper.

Now that the goody goody BS is over, WHY OH WHY do I still see officers not wearing body armor? You have a job that takes you into dangerous situations and to ignore this factor seems so freaking stupid. I place it right up there with not wearing your helmet or seat belt.

If I have the misfortune to run into you in a professional capacity and you don't have your vest on prepare to get a tongue lashing.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I am very sorry to hear this. I hope they are relentless in making sure those who kill a policeman never see the light of day "outside" again.

Knowing the danger of their jobs, I never fail to wave at a policeman on duty, as a thank you.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Friend of mine, LT with FHP, said a vest would not have saved him, as he was shot in the neck. Also, that a lot of them do not wear vests because of the rarity of being in that situation...not ME saying this, but the LT!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I hear excuses all the time about why officers don't wear their vests.

"It's too hot"

"It rides up into my neck"

"They measured me wrong"

Blah, blah, blah...

If you don't wear it in this day and time; you are an idiot. Period. :cus:

If you are a Trooper, who is far from backup, you better invest in level 4 plates. It can be a long time when you are alone, outnumbered, and outgunned.

Goodbye Brother. You will be missed. I wish you'd worn your vest... :cry:

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
MotorSWATCop said:
I hear excuses all the time about why officers don't wear their vests.

"It's too hot"

"It rides up into my neck"

"They measured me wrong"

Blah, blah, blah...

If you don't wear it in this day and time; you are an idiot. Period. :cus:

If you are a Trooper, who is far from backup, you better invest in level 4 plates. It can be a long time when you are alone, outnumbered, and outgunned.

Goodbye Brother. You will be missed. I wish you'd worn your vest... :cry:
I agree with you on the vests, however, as I wrote above, he was shot in the neck and the vest would not have saved him in THIS CASE. Usually, the vests help. Unfortunate tragedy; and I feel for the family.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Prayers for the family and friends from TEXAS

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
S&W Triker said:
Friend of mine, LT with FHP, said a vest would not have saved him, as he was shot in the neck. Also, that a lot of them do not wear vests because of the rarity of being in that situation...not ME saying this, but the LT!
My apologies for my kneejerk reaction. Initial reports from the news and the scene had it a chest shot.

·
Registered
454 Posts
WE'VE LOST ALOT OF LEO'S IN FLA LATELY N EVERYONE AFFECTS ME DEEPLY / AS FAR AS THE VEST GOES THERE ARE TIMES THAT YOU HAVE TO WEIGH HEAT STROKE OVER BEING SHOT / HERE IN FL. IT GETS VERY WARM AND IN THE SUMMER ON A MOTOR THAT VEST DOESNT BREATHE AND THERES BEEN TIMES THAT I CAN'T WEAR IT / NOW THE GUYS IN PATROL CARS WITH AIR REALLY CAN'T SAY THAT / I KNOW I'VE SHED MANY TEARS OVER LOST BROTHERS N A POLICE FUNERAL IS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS I'VE HAD TO DO CAUSE IT MAKES YOU RELIEZE IT COULD'VE BEEN ME / MAY THE FAMILY KNOW THAT HE'S NEVER FORGOTTEN IN ANY LEO'S HEART / GOD REST HIM

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
It's my understanding that the two people trying to keep him
alive before anyone else arrived removed his vest.
He was shot in the neck.
RIP..........

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sorry to hear that a fellow Law Enf officer has fallen.

Prayers for the family and also his FHP brothers and sisters.

Dep

·
Registered
425 Posts
MOTORDEPUTY said:
WE'VE LOST ALOT OF LEO'S IN FLA LATELY N EVERYONE AFFECTS ME DEEPLY / AS FAR AS THE VEST GOES THERE ARE TIMES THAT YOU HAVE TO WEIGH HEAT STROKE OVER BEING SHOT / HERE IN FL. IT GETS VERY WARM AND IN THE SUMMER ON A MOTOR THAT VEST DOESNT BREATHE AND THERES BEEN TIMES THAT I CAN'T WEAR IT / NOW THE GUYS IN PATROL CARS WITH AIR REALLY CAN'T SAY THAT / I KNOW I'VE SHED MANY TEARS OVER LOST BROTHERS N A POLICE FUNERAL IS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS I'VE HAD TO DO CAUSE IT MAKES YOU RELIEZE IT COULD'VE BEEN ME / MAY THE FAMILY KNOW THAT HE'S NEVER FORGOTTEN IN ANY LEO'S HEART / GOD REST HIM
Don't take this the wrong way MotorDeputy; I'm not trying to start a fight. I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and am intimately familiar with how hot it gets. It gets just as hot in B'ham, AL where I work. I was a motor officer for several years on a Road King. I wore my vest every day.

I do not want to side track this thread. He's in my thoughts...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts