GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk lid often will not stay closed when I push it down. There seems to be a problem with the latch mechanism. Are any of you experiencing this problem and is there an easy fix? Thanks in advance.....John

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Your dealer has a bulletin on the repair. The rivets in the crossbar that goes across the latch mechanism inside the trunk is too tight. It seems the answer Honda has for this problem is for a mechanic to take a screwdriver and pry on the rivets, attached to your $20K bike, at each end to loosen then up.

Remove the lock cover inside the trunk and you will see this flat bar going across the latch assembly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trunk Latch

Do you use the trunk release on the remote? I have had this problem when using that function and I theorize that the latch mechanism release solenoid doesn't pull the latch all the way to unlock position. If I use the remote to unlock and the manual levers to release the latch I don't have the problem. One of these days I'll try and get in there and see if there is an adjustment or lubrication point that will help - or let the dealer at it when I get around to taking it in for the ECM change.

In the mean time, next time you experience this situation use the remote or key to unlock the bags and the manual lever to '****' the latch, then try to close the lid. Should work ok then.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hope yours is not a 2004, hondaman. This was a defect when the 1800 first appeared in 2001 (every magazine review mentioned it); if Honda hasn't fixed it by now, there's something seriously lacking in Marysville.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Trunk won't latch

I have had this problem a couple of times and if I "****" the latch by pulling outward on the center latch for the trunk then the trunk lid will close and latch properly.

Proctor Willson
Paris, TN

·
Registered
676 Posts
A very good and cheap fix is to add a light spring to apply upward force on horizontal latch bar. Remove mechanism cover and you will understand what is happening. The two outside latch pieces do not reset properly w/o the spring unless you slam the cover down or bang it hard.
Do a search. This fix was suggested by someone on the old board with pictures and good description. Some add two springs but with the springs I found, one was better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts