GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading Einzig post on "Reporting Dealership Problems", and was thinking:

When you take your GL1800 into a dealership for warrenty or maintenance work, is picking it up and riding off a legal "sign-off" move for the dealership and the owner?

What's is the procedure in the business if something goes wrong after leaving the dealership if they screwd up something?

Is there any remorse for poor service to a owner from Honda or don't they care?

Anyone hear of a Honda dealership loosing it's sales franchise from Honda because of poor service?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hi Mike,

I haven't owned my wing long enough to comment on a Honda dealer, but I can relate a personal experience with a Harley dealer.

Last Friday, I rode to Biketoberfest from Tampa with my buddy (harley rider) and four other harley riders. I had the lead since several of the riders had not gone to Daytona before and I was taking back roads.

Before we started one guy was saying how he just had his rear tire changed. I think he was kinda proud as his bike was a '99 model and had finally worn out the original tire!

So anyway, he pulls off the road after about 90 miles, complaining of a "wobble" in the rear tire. On examination, the rear tire was loose although the axle nut was tight. The cotter key was installed, but it did not go through the axle nut. The outside of the belt pulley on the rear tire had also been rubbing against the swing arm, It appeared obvious that the shop did not install a spacer properly when they replaced the tire.

Our friend limped to the harley dealer in Leesburg and was told the wheel was installed wrong and he also had burned up the bearings in the rear wheel as well.

Now here is where the harley shop did everything right: Our friend called the shop in Tampa where the work was done. They called the shop in Leesburg telling them to expect him. Since his bike was a '99, Leesburg did not have the rear wheel to replace the burned one. The Tampa dealer launched a driver with the part to Leesburg.

Our buddy was back on the road at 5:00PM with a new rear wheel at (of course) no charge to him.

Now granted, this whole thing could have been avoided it the Tampa shop had done it right the first time. But to their credit, they did everything they could to get him back on the road.

So I guess this is a "good dealer/bad dealer" story...

Lance

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Themobb said:
So I guess this is a "good dealer/bad dealer" story...

Lance
I'd call that a good dealer story. Everybody makes mistakes. At least they stepped up to the plate. I'd be happy with that.

I know auto manufacturers are really strict with dealerships - or at least they act that way. They pretty much beg you to let them know if there are any problems and give them a chance to fix it - if you get a satisfaction survey and put anything other than satisfied then the dealership gets into trouble. I don't know how bad but they do seem to take it seriously.

Motorcycle dealers, on the other hand, don't seem to face any consequenses at all and it shows. I'm just thankful I found a good dealer who actually wants my business. It's a small one in a small town. They got my business and are getting more from others due to word of mouth - like me bragging about them all the time! :lol:

Adventure Cycle & Sled in Dillon, MT. 8)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Every time I take my bike to the dealer - Mid America Motorsports in Sioux Falls SD - I get a call a few days later from a survey company. My impression is the dealership pays this company to gather information.

They ask if everything was done to my satisfaction, which so far it has been. I think this is a very good dealer. They are expensive but I think they have done good work and stand behind it. They are aware of all past/current problems with the Goldwing and have never seemed ignorant or defensive about what a problem is and how to fix it.

Ride Safe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts