GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:

I have a 05 1800 and at the start of this riding season I have found that I have no Intercom and the radio will not play through the helmet speakers. I have tested the connections between the plug of the radio and the headset connector, I did find that there was 65 Ohms (radio was disconnected from the bike. I have a lot of Electronic training. so if anyone has a Circuit diagram that would help me find the problem. I have also checked all the wiring betwenn the radio plug and the helmet connector and found no problems(mice). Thank you for reading my message and for any help you may be able to give

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Brian,

Welcome to the board !

Can we assume that you are not new to the GL1800 and that you are already farmiliar with the radio intercom ? Did it ever work ?

Do you have the same result on both rider and passenger connections ?

·
Vendor
445 Posts
What you describe is very common after an air filter change or if the audio unit is unplugged for any reason. The headset plug into the audio unit is not fully seated and sometimes will work for some time without being properly inserted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trouble with intercom on AM/FM radio

Wayne & Bill:

Thank you for the reply. There was no Filter change as of yet and I have unpluged and pluged all the connectors back together to check for a poor connection I have also inspected all the wiring to and from the radio unit. The intercom and headsets worked fine when I put the bike up for the Winter, this started from the first day after I got the bike out for this season. I have also changed headset cords and it is happening at both Driver and Passenger plugs. The bike was garage keeped all winter. the only thing different this year, is when I went to start the bike for the first time, it cranked and few times and then quit, I found that the Battery had gone bad and was thinking, could it be possible that there could have been a current draw so great that it might have damaged the radio when I was trying to start the bike and could it have damaged just the intercom Amp. in the radio and not anything else? or something ahead of the Amp. I do have an Schematic Diagram for the radio ( i just found one).

Thank you for all your help.
Brian (W8TFI)

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,369 Posts
Brian, there's a good chance that your headset amp has died in the audio unit. According to LarryM, this is pretty common. The amp is a separate IC in the unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts