GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 2/02/14, my wife purchased a new motorcycle, a V-Star 1300 Deluxe. We wanted to transfer the tag from her old bike, but because it wasn't sold yet, they wouldn't let us. When adding the new bike on our insurance, I canceled the insurance on the old bike, and told my wife to hurry and mail the tag in. Well, we had a couple snow storms came through, and my wife dilly-dallied about mailing the tag back, and didn't get to returning it until 2/18/14. Five-six weeks later we get a letter from the MVA saying we owe $150 for keeping a tag for a vehicle that has no insurance. To me, this is ridiculous. It was all of 2 weeks, I'm sure this fee is designed for people that intentionally cancel insurance and keep the tag simply because they don't want to pay for insurance. It's only $40 a year for the old bike, a '98 Honda Shadow. I called the MVA and the lady claims that unless I can get the buyer to fax them a letter saying that we sold the bike within 3 days of the date of cancellation, we owe the $150. We didn't actually sell the bike until the 20th. The letter says that for the first 30 days, the fee is $150, then $7 a day after that. I was thinking of going to the main branch in Glen Burnie and speaking to a supervisor but it might be a waste of time......

·
Registered
453 Posts
Rules

They are tough to deal with. You have to have insurance on a registered bike. Period. There is a form which when you move the plate to another bike, that the previous one that was sold and at the time you TURN IN THE TAG or transfer the tag (not the date of sale) you have insurance on the old bike.

It won't help to go to Glen Burnie. I went thru this on the first car we sold in MD. We transferred the tag to a newer car, then sold the car later. Only way around it is if you can get the buyer to lie.

Bureaucracy!!!!!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
For that sum of money, I would make the trip. Maybe one of the local offices first? I would have a really hard time giving anymore then is being taken from me already. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I hope it works out for you! You might consider the cost of your time to argue with the beaurecrats and cost of travel to and from them before you decide what to do. Make sure you do take your checkbook with you!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Bottom line is: your wife messed up. She went past the deadline by what 11 days...The people at the main office don't care if it was 11 days or 11 minutes. You'll end up paying the fee. I don't know how far the main office is from you. I might try a phone call but it probably is a wast of time. Just remember, "You can't fight city hall". Pay the fee and chalk it up to experience.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Another option is depending on who you have insurance with,,, tell your insurance agent you made a misatke on cancelation date for insurance and you met to keep it in force until you could deliver the bike to new owner.. MY company did that several years ago,,, was much cheaper than the daily penalty

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I just re read your post.. I think you might have a case. Since they did not allow you to transfer the tags as you requested initially. I checked my transportation article and can find NO requirement to sell your vehicle to transfer the tags.. You can say that the original was not sellable initially due to mechanical damage or whatever..

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe if I show proof that I actually bought a new motorcycle on the 2nd, and explain what happened they'll cut me a break. If it's $150 for 30 days, then why $150 for two weeks? It's worded "$150 for the first 30 days, and $7 for each additional day." Sad thing is, the policy was paid up through 2/19, which is when our policy expires. It was not a good idea to cancel the insurance with only a couple weeks left, there were really no savings to be made. I just assumed we'd be able to transfer the tags to the new bike, we even brought the tag with us.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
NOMALLY I don't reccomend fighting the MVA BUT in this case I believe you have a better than even chance of winning or at least getting a break.. I have always transferred my bike tags to my newer purchase,, Thats what did not make sense when I read your post the second time.. I thought maybe the transportation article had changed BUT GOD help me That book gets thicker every year but I could find NOTHING that says you can not legally transfer existing tags to another vehicle,,, What would happen if you were not selling the older vehicle,, and you were going to keep it in the garage to restore it

Page 204 of the maryland vehicle law Year 2013 13-502.1(a) transfer to another vehicle...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NOMALLY I don't reccomend fighting the MVA BUT in this case I believe you have a better than even chance of winning or at least getting a break.. I have always transferred my bike tags to my newer purchase,, Thats what did not make sense when I read your post the second time.. I thought maybe the transportation article had changed BUT GOD help me That book gets thicker every year but I could find NOTHING that says you can not legally transfer existing tags to another vehicle,,, What would happen if you were not selling the older vehicle,, and you were going to keep it in the garage to restore it

Page 204 of the maryland vehicle law Year 2013 13-502.1(a) transfer to another vehicle...

Thanks. I'm going to get documentation from my insurance that the policy had two weeks left on it and was paid in full over a year ago. I took the dealers word that we couldn't transfer the tag.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Sorry, but the regulation is very strict. When you cancelled the insurance on the first bike, the tags MUST be turned in instantly- no exceptions. The MVA has done nothing wrong in their view;
if they decide to give you a break based on the "tag transfer issue", then be very appreciative and gracious to them... they don't have to. I don't think the regulation is a fair one, but everyone in Maryland is aware of how it works. Good luck to you.

:cry:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Actually NO The section and sub section I posted in the other post above explains that you don't have to turn the tags in IF they are being transferred to another vehicle within the same classification.. But you have to have proof that the vehicle the tags come off of is being taken out of service either by being stored or sold to another.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Might as well pony up the $150. The law is the law, you will just get more aggravated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Tag Transfer

There are ways around it.

I almost passed out, when I found I could transferred tags that had 75% of their life left, to my son, with NO FEE. (I gave him a 750 Shadow.) I think he had to pay for an inspection and registration and that is all.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I paid the MVA their $150, but I let the nasty clerk know that she, and everyone in the building, can F.O.A.D. Nasty attitude, cut me off while trying to explain. Typical.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I paid the MVA their $150, but I let the nasty clerk know that she, and everyone in the building, can F.O.A.D. Nasty attitude, cut me off while trying to explain. Typical.

Yup, its a sad thing that the people we pay to serve us treat us so poorly. Crazy to me how some people will go thru this at government offices like the MVA and still want the government to control healthcare.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I went Wednesday to one of the little stand alone MVA tag & title offices to register my HF cargo trailer. Now this trailer is a 2005 1090 lb capacity, and had NEVER been assembled. still in box original certificate of origin. Told The lady behind the counter I had made a great deal on it since the original owner did not realize it was just a box of parts when he ordered it 9 years ago and never did anything with it. she informed me that he had no right to sell it to me without first registering and refused to take my paperwork. Now I need this trailer to be ready to rumble by April 23 to pick up Rails toy.. If it ain't I have to go into hiding ,,,don't want rail to hunt me down. I thought it out.. Drove to the full service MVA and walked up to the counter and told them I bought this little trailer new from HF about 9 years ago. I got too busy with a kids projects and never put it together until now.. They had to look up HF on their internet and get a price to base taxes on since I had no original bill of sale from HF. had to pay taxes on 230.00 "price".. But consider that a good deal to fulfill promise to Rail.. MVA can be such a God awful pain in the a##

1 - 17 of 17 Posts