GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent Labor Day weekend in Arkansas... Push Mountain... all of the fun roads.

Was headed north towards home on Monday. Somewhere around Rolla, MO... I noticed that the '08 wasn't healthy. Was on I-44 running around 80mph (with the flow of traffic), and when I accelerated or was pulling a hill... I was hearing chattering. Was also noticing a vibration through the seat. Not good. Something in the driveline is going into failure mode.

Through a little experimenting, I discovered that things were lots better at 60mph. Of course, that created a new problem... the potential of getting run over and killed on the interstate because I was now going 60 instead of the 80 that most of the other traffic was running.

Stopped at Fenton, where I pulled off for a fill up of gas, and a dozen Krispy Kremes. Let it cool off, and looked at everything I could. Nothing on the bike was overly hot, no fluid loss, full of oil... nothing obvious at all.

After about 30 minutes of cooling off, and a rest, I decided to try and make it to Niehaus Honda in Litchfield, another 90 miles up the road (I had already made it around 90 miles). Those of you who are familiar with Niehaus will know why I wanted to get it there. For those who don't... they are one of the best dealerships, for their knowledge of Goldwings, in all of the Midwest.

I did make it fine. I left it locked up and covered up, on the back side of their building, as they were closed for Labor Day. They had a key drop, so I gladly took advantage of that. I arranged a ride home, and was very thankful for my luck that day. Yes, I was abandoning it at a dealership a couple of hours from home... but hadn't left me stranded along the interstate, it was sitting at a good dealership waiting for repairs, and I was headed home... even after a lousy day, which could have been much, much worse.

On Friday, I learned that they had to replace the drive shaft. This is on an '08 NAV/ABS with 84,000 miles. Of course, they gave me a deal that I couldn't refuse, on a driveshaft that they had left over from a new Goldwing trike conversion... $100 for the shaft, plus an hour and some to install it. Can't get mad at that! List price on the shaft is around $300.

Went and picked it up that afternoon, and got it back home.

·
Registered
904 Posts
A good ending to a rare event. I've known two riders to crash when the driveshafts on their Honda ST1300 and BMW R1200RT failed catastrophically at speed. One said he had plenty of warning but "I wanted to get there and kept going" and they other swears "out of the blue with no warning" the rear wheel locked up on I-10.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Glad it worked out for you!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Maybe you tired to hide it in a short sentence but we did see you ate a dozen KKs and did offer us none! While waiting for them to cool off?:unsure:

·
Registered
347 Posts
^^^^ OP didn't bring enough KKs for the whole class :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,061 Posts

Was headed north towards home on Monday. Somewhere around Rolla, MO... I noticed that the '08 wasn't healthy. Was on I-44 running around 80mph (with the flow of traffic), and when I accelerated or was pulling a hill... I was hearing chattering. Was also noticing a vibration through the seat. Not good. Something in the driveline is going into failure mode.

Through a little experimenting, I discovered that things were lots better at 60mph. Of course, that created a new problem... the potential of getting run over and killed on the interstate because I was now going 60 instead of the 80 that most of the other traffic was running.

Stopped at Fenton, where I pulled off for a fill up of gas, and a dozen Krispy Kremes. Let it cool off, and looked at everything I could. Nothing on the bike was overly hot, no fluid loss, full of oil... nothing obvious at all.

After about 30 minutes of cooling off, and a rest, I decided to try and make it to Niehaus Honda in Litchfield, another 90 miles up the road (I had already made it around 90 miles). Those of you who are familiar with Niehaus will know why I wanted to get it there. For those who don't... they are one of the best dealerships, for their knowledge of Goldwings, in all of the Midwest.

I did make it fine. I left it locked up and covered up, on the back side of their building, as they were closed for Labor Day. They had a key drop, so I gladly took advantage of that. I arranged a ride home, and was very thankful for my luck that day. Yes, I was abandoning it at a dealership a couple of hours from home... but hadn't left me stranded along the interstate, it was sitting at a good dealership waiting for repairs, and I was headed home... even after a lousy day, which could have been much, much worse.

On Friday, I learned that they had to replace the drive shaft. This is on an '08 NAV/ABS with 84,000 miles. Of course, they gave me a deal that I couldn't refuse, on a driveshaft that they had left over from a new Goldwing trike conversion... $100 for the shaft, plus an hour and some to install it. Can't get mad at that! List price on the shaft is around $300.

I heard noise on my 08 around 193,000 and come to find out the rear end and driveshaft were bad, don't know which one went first and made the other bad. Anyway back on the road with driveshaft and rear end with only 15,000 miles on it for on 285.00. Maybe i can get another 100.000 out of her.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
I would have guessed a front u-joint too. It causes a chatter or flutter sound and vibration too. A bad u-joint causes the shaft to spin untrue, and it begins to hit on the inside of the swing arm that has an oversized tube that the drive shaft spins in. Lowering the speed reduces stress, and the forces wanting it to spin true can be greater than the ones for an untrue spin. Glad you got it fixed. Plus their price was incredibly reasonable.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Glad it worked out for you! At least you got to enjoy some curvy roads before it failed on you!! (y)

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
7,930 Posts

I hope you bought a lottery ticket once you got home.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Welcome to the club... I also have an '08 ABS bike and the U joint blew at 75,000 miles while I was in California. Ol' Gilbert at Cal Coast motorsports in Ventura, along with the help of Corventure Dave, got me back on the road in 48 hrs. I experienced exactly what you did and was able to ride the bike to the shop.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
I remember the days when cars with cherries on top were always hanging out at the donut shops. Now cops are all buffed out, and no longer hang out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts