GL1800Riders Forums banner

Truly 100%waterproof

7K views 53 replies 48 participants last post by  Brokeneggyolk 
#1 ·
Did a 10hr ride under heavy rain, using my Dainese "waterproof" jacket and Axo "waterproof" pants.....After only 1 hr i was wet from head to bottom!!! My question is ....is there any truly 100% waterproof TEXTILE jacket and pants out there?? Brand?

Cheers...

#2 ·
my Honda racing jacket and firstgear HT overpants have done a pretty good job of keeping me dry on some long rides in wet weather, if u ride in the rain long enough eventually water does creep in around the collar and if jeans are exposed at the bottom they will absorb water up the legs, overall i been pretty happy with the gear

#4 ·
I purchased Frogg Toggs at Wing Ding, this year and wore them once in the rain. That was a waste of money! My Tecnic riding gear works good. They are textile, 3yrs old, they are now made of Gortex mine are Kevlor.

#5 ·
Tourmaster jacket with a zip out liner, Tourmaster Polar-Tex gloves, Power Trip Dakota overpant and rain boots.
The overpants can be rolled up small enough to store in the saddlebag. For warm summer days I carry a thin Teknic rain jacket in the saddlebag. The Tourmaster jacket is too bulky to store in the bike.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product ... d=31&cat=3

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product ... =108&cat=9

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/p ... 310670.asp

http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fu ... goryID=229

#6 ·
Jchefboyardee said:
I purchased Frogg Toggs at Wing Ding, this year and wore them once in the rain. That was a waste of money! My Tecnic riding gear works good. They are textile, 3yrs old, they are now made of Gortex mine are Kevlor.
WHAY SIZE ? WANT TO SELL THEM ?

#7 ·
Frogg Toggs for me too please. Best, most inexspensive rainwear/windwear EVER!! You have to be fitted properly for them (which may mean buying a different size top and bottom) and making sure to put your hood up in the really hard, all day rain. JMHO

Shadow1
Hal

#9 ·
Jeffery of Sarawak said:
My question is ....is there any truly 100% waterproof TEXTILE jacket and pants out there?? Brand?
absolutely. over the years i've used a number of textile jackets and pants that have been totally waterproof. i've had a first gear scirroco and kilimanjaro jackets along with joe rocket ballistic jackets. all have performed extremely well. for pants i've had tourmaster cortech, joe rocket ballistic and first gear ht overpants.

currently, i'm riding with joe rocket gear - ballistic 6.0 jacket and ballistic 5.0 pants. went in quite a few turd-floaters and came out dry on the other side.

good prices for all the above at www.newenough.com.

#12 ·
I use a Joe Rocket Ballistic V jacket, FirstGear HT Overpants (the only 2 brands that fit me and are under $200 each), and Aerostich Triple-Digit rain covers over my gloves. I have several pairs of waterproof boots.

I tried lots of things over the years including the ultra-miserable Frogg Togg suit.

#14 ·
Seirra Designs are nice two piece suits made for hiking primarily. they can be found at REI.com. That's what we went to after not really digging the Frog Toggs.

#17 ·
How much do you want to spend? How often do you ride in the rain?
Do you ride in the rain when it is below 40 deg F? In other words, just how much is it worth to be DRY when it is pouring down rain?

http://www.backcountry.com/store/ARC010 ... -Mens.html

I'm kinda cheap, so this is the one I have,

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/acces ... 237547.htm

It has kept me very dry in hard pouring rain, raining so hard, I could barely see the road. It was raining so hard, cars were pulling over on the side of the interstate, but I didn't pull off the road, because I was afraid I would not be seen and someone would run over me.

What does waterproof actually mean?
Good question. A fabric is classified as 100% waterproof if it keeps water at a pressure of 25 PSI from passing through it.

To put this into perspective, a hard rain generates about 2 PSI. While this doesn’t seem like much, any activity increases this pressure. If you weigh 170 pounds, just sitting creates about 7 PSI, while kneeling creates about 18. Now imagine bumping into boulders, trees, and wearing a backpack, or riding a motorcycle in the rain. Straping on a 40-pound pack can push the pressure to 30 PSI as it shuffles and shifts throughout the day.

Also, dirt and body oils contaminate the garment, lowering its surface energy – and its waterproofness. Cleaning will restore some of its protection, but it will never be as waterproof as the day you bought it. So you’ll often lose a little waterproofness as time wears on. Be sure to take all this into account when buying raingear.

#18 ·
GP Young said:
Frogg Toggs work well for me.
Frogg Toggs are great .. I rode through a total of 5 hours of rain on our
Florida trip, the only part that got wet was the bottom of my jeans where the Frogs zip, seems the zipper on the leg of the pants isnt water proof... 8)

Oh yeah ! .. hands too .. my leather gloves are not water proof and I am curious as to what gloves you guys wear in rain .. .Thanks ..
sorry for the high jack .. 8)

#19 ·
Yellow Streak said:
[quote="GP Young":3slhzaro]
............Oh yeah ! .. hands too .. my leather gloves are not water proof and I am curious as to what gloves you guys wear in rain .. .Thanks ..
sorry for the high jack .. 8)
[/quote:3slhzaro]

I have two suggestions.

1- For rain gloves you may want to look at FarkleMasters for Rain-Off gloves. I bought them recently but have had the opportunity to see if they work because I have not ridden in the rain yet. Guess I could run outside right now and check them out because it is raining like a two pu$$y cow pi$$ing on a flat rock. :shock: Frog strangler rain. :lol: :roll:

farklemasters.com

2- Now back to the thread, I went cheap and purchased rain jacket and pants made by Stearns, at Wal Mart. As I recall the total cost was about $30 - 35. Both the jacket and pants can be rolled up small and kept in the trunk or side bags for use when needed. You could easily put them in a zip lock bag for storage if you wanted. 8) When encounter rain, I simply slip them on over my jacket (Joe Rocket Alter Ego) and pants. Have always been able to get the pants on over the boots w/o difficulty.

I try to avoid riding in the rain but it is sure nice to have the protection when it needed. Have had two experiences of pretty siginficant rain for a couple of hours each, one included sleet, and stayed completely dry. I do recommend that you have either rain boots or something to cover your footwear, and that you pull the bottoms of the rain pants down as far as you can get them. (You could use some kind of rubber band around the bottoms to keep them in place "if" needed ...... you know, like the HD guys do :wink: )

When purchasing the items, wear your boots and either take or wear your jacket and pants so you can try the rain gear on over them. It will help to make sure you have gotten the size you need.

Sure hope this helps. Even if it does not meet your expectations, you have not layed out much to buy/try them. :) Ride safely always. :)

Todd

#21 ·
I always find these discussions interesting. I have Frog Toggs and wore them at Rally In the Vally, which rained every day, sometimes hard. Most riding was at slow speed so the windshield didn't save me at all. I never got wet in hours of riding. That's strange if you ask me. How is it some people swears they are crap and many others are perfectly happy with the performance???? That's just strange. I know there are different types of Frog Toggs, is it perhaps the cheap ones that fail to protect??? I love mine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

#23 ·
JIM-FCCM said:
I always find these discussions interesting. I have Frog Toggs and wore them at Rally In the Vally, which rained every day, sometimes hard. Most riding was at slow speed so the windshield didn't save me at all. I never got wet in hours of riding. That's strange if you ask me. How is it some people swears they are crap and many others are perfectly happy with the performance???? That's just strange. I know there are different types of Frog Toggs, is it perhaps the cheap ones that fail to protect??? I love mine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D
Hello Jim. While I do not have the FT's I have been interested in them if I decide to change. I, too, have been puzzled by the contradictory opinions about the Toggs.

I/ve done some reading about them, but did not notice that there were cheaper models. Can you enlighten me as to what you mean. I surely would not want to buy the wrong ones.

Thanks,

Todd

#25 ·
JIM-FCCM wrote:
I always find these discussions interesting. I have Frog Toggs and wore them at Rally In the Vally, which rained every day, sometimes hard. Most riding was at slow speed so the windshield didn't save me at all. I never got wet in hours of riding. That's strange if you ask me. How is it some people swears they are crap and many others are perfectly happy with the performance???? That's just strange. I know there are different types of Frog Toggs, is it perhaps the cheap ones that fail to protect??? I love mine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Hello Jim. While I do not have the FT's I have been interested in them if I decide to change. I, too, have been puzzled by the contradictory opinions about the Toggs.

I/ve done some reading about them, but did not notice that there were cheaper models. Can you enlighten me as to what you mean. I surely would not want to buy the wrong ones.

Thanks,

Todd
Todd,

I did some research a while back and found there to be three models available and you can see it in the price. The "good ones" are around $70-$75. I guess they are a better grade of material or something. I forget exactly where I gound them but that's the bottom line. I would guess the folks that have had no problems paid that price range. I bought my at the rally in the valley and it was actually cool to ride in the rain and not get wet. I had the hood on under my full face helmet and just rode around...loving life with my SO onboard. She loves them too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.