GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know this is hot all the time...

I didn't :oops: . Don't ask me how I didn't know this...

Battery Tender currently working overtime...

Lance

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes it is, thankfully. Keeps my phone going also.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I acknowledge the advantage. It's just that this guy I know had a fairly high drawing source plugged in and assumed when the key was removed, the power was secured...

Oh Well, Just my (oops, his) lesson learned for today..

Lance

·
Registered
181 Posts
I removed mine. It was properly plugged in and kept blowing my battery fuse each time I plugged in mt cell phone charger. The charger and phone work fine in my truck.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey INTHEWIND,

Come on, start a new thread; you only need one more for 1000!!! :D :D

Lance

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Themobb said:
Did you know this is hot all the time...
Mine isn't. A trunk accessory power outlet is an after-market item, so it depends on how it was wired as to whether or not it's hot all the time.

Some people steal power from the wire going to the remote receiver in the trunk lid, which is hot all the time, of course. However, you can't draw much power through that wiring, so many of us run a separate heavier gauge wire to the newly installed outlet and connect it directly to the battery through a fuse, or we add a relay in the circuit and control it from the accessory connection at the fuse box.

The power outlet in my left front pocket is only for low-power audio stuff. The outlet in my trunk can be used to run things such is an air pump or a small inverter.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
twodogs1800 said:
My outlet was plug and play. Plugged right into the existing harness in the trunk.
Is that the connector intended for the mirror/vanity light?
I think you are right All Boots. As far as I know, Honda never put a connector back there that was intended for an outlet, unless of course they changed things on the 05-06.

Those wires for the vanity light are pretty thin. I doubt they can carry much current.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yea even though it was plug and play, it may not have been intended for a power outlet. I never run anything with a high current draw thru it. Just use it for my cell phone charger.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I used the hot wire in the trunk to mount an underhood light, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the one to use, looks nice, completely enclosed, and has a ball bearing switch to turn the light off when the trunk is closed. :D

later..Randy

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
I used the hot wire in the trunk to mount an underhood light, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the one to use, looks nice, completely enclosed, and has a ball bearing switch to turn the light off when the trunk is closed. :D
What? No pictures?

:wink:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Where is the connection for an aux power outlet near the trunk. I'd like to hook one up. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
INTHEWIND said:
What? No pictures?

:wink:

I'll get some up tomorrow, I'm at work now. :cry:

I was looking for a clean looking light, couldn't find one until I raised the hood on my jeep, there it was. :D :D

later..Randy

·
Registered
589 Posts
I didn't know that it was hot all the time but found out when I spliced in an extension so I could power my I-Pod. When I connected the I-pod, no juice. I had blown a fuse during the soldering.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Big Wes said:
The 'plug & play' units are limited to 5 amps, which is a little bit less than what most air pumps draw. But, if a max of 5 amps is what you need... to charge your cellphone for example, then those are fine!

The main thing is that people understand what they're buying, and that it meets their requirements.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/pow ... /pplug.htm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts