GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last 1800 I bought some lights from Toplite for the trunk and saddlebags.
They are now $25.00 each so I was looking for something a little cheaper.
I was looking for a battery powered LED light with an On/Off switch, or mercury switch that allows the light to come on when the bags are opened.
What are you guys using for your bike?

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I’m considering a pricier option. I noticed knock outs in each of the saddlebags that appear to be the same size and shape as the trunk light. I think I’m gonna spring for 2 more trunk lights and tie them into the trunk light harness under the seat.

Reactions: Max McAllister

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Great!

This is what I do to my wings for lights in the trunk and bags one led strip of 3 put power at all time and let the ground on the door switch control the light.
Looks really nice, just gave me an idea to use led strip light for my Bushtec trailer as the lone interior lamp needs some help:serious:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Reactions: RickLB and Order66

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Order66, a great find! I just ordered a 6 pack! These will be perfect on the bike! :wink2:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just make sure you clean surfaces well with alcohol before applying, and try to find a spot that’s indented or out of the way when you put them in. My first go round, I kept hitting the switch and/or popping the light off by accident when I stuffed the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yamahadrummer you have a PM, and for the lights from Amazon they look nice but I do not need anything else to maintain such as battery in a light, if I open the bag and the battery was dead in the light I would not be happy in a dark place.

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,349 Posts
I’m considering a pricier option. I noticed knock outs in each of the saddlebags that appear to be the same size and shape as the trunk light. I think I’m gonna spring for 2 more trunk lights and tie them into the trunk light harness under the seat.
I am curious to know how this works out for you. I have seen the cutouts as well, but Honda offers no kit... I thought that was odd!

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is what I do to my wings for lights in the trunk and bags one led strip of 3 put power at all time and let the ground on the door switch control the light.
Those look amazing. Nice job. Any info on where you obtained the lights or wiring instructions/videos would be very helpful. I really like your solution. I too want a solution that doesn't require maintenance!! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had side lights inside the trunk that did not illuminate all the dark spots. I bought LED strip lights that had the push button on the package to let you see what they were before you bought them. Had cheap Made in China watch batteries in a little box to demo the lights you bought as a try me button so to speak. Kept the same concept for installation. Got cheap batteries from Harbor freight to replace those, self stick light are shinning down from the top by the lid edge and some in the dark corners in the back. Never have to worry about running the ships batteries going dead. Aircraft have lighting batteries all over the craft for this very reason. I just have them on a rocker switch inside the top box, nothing in the sides. I always have the sides in bags.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the website I bought my last set of lights from said they were discontinued, so I called them.
They said they had one set left and they are going to send them to me.
After I get them installed I will have to make a video and show you what they do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts