GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience their trunk and side baggage compartments difficult to open?
I feel I'm going to break a cable or the handle when trying to open especially the side compartments.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Lube the latches and cables and/or loosen the latches a bit. Mine usta be pretty hard to open, esp the right side bag. When I had the bag tilted outward to do Fred's rear suspension hydraulic cylinder fill-up, I sprayed the latch works with Tri-flow and shot some up and down into the cable. Has worked well since. I used to press in on the lid before working the latch so that I would not break the mechanism.

prs

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lube the latches and cables and/or loosen the latches a bit. Mine usta be pretty hard to open, esp the right side bag. When I had the bag tilted outward to do Fred's rear suspension hydraulic cylinder fill-up, I sprayed the latch works with Tri-flow and shot some up and down into the cable. Has worked well since. I used to press in on the lid before working the latch so that I would not break the mechanism.

prs
Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Loaded or unloaded? If loaded when load and not when unloaded, adjust your loading process to keep excessive pressure off the lids.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
lube, AND if it's tight/stiff when you try to open, either push in on the top of the lid while pulling the handle, OR give the top of the lid section a slap. Mine seems to be "sticky" most often when I have to push it closed again my bulky (but light) contents.

·
Registered
325 Posts
As some have suggested,lubing the cables may help, and certainly, pushing in on the door as you attempt to open is a good temporary method so as not break anything until you can get it fixed properly.

However, there is an adjustment that you can make that should solve the problem.

For years I tolerated a left saddlebag that was quite difficult to open compared to the right.

In fact once or twice I pulled so hard that small plastic clips used in the lock lever assembly located at the rear of the trunk either broke or popped out of place causing the unlocking mechanism to fail completely.

Following recommendation from the forum, I replaced the clips with stronger ones from NAPA and also secured them in place with small tie wraps. That stopped the clip problem but still left me with a very stiff opening mechanism on the left side.

Then I found a recommendation to adjust the cable that runs from the latch operating lever to the left saddlebag. If I recall, the end on the cable casing has three or four notches that it can clip into at the lever end. I tried the different positions but it didn't make a whole lot of difference.

Finally, I found a posting where someone said that the solution was to make an adjustment to the actual latch fingers (my terminology!) located in the ceiling of the left saddlebag.

You need to remove the internal panel in the inside top (or back, don;t recall which) of the saddle bag to get at the mechanism, maybe a half dozen screws.

You will then see that there is a rod that runs between the two latch releases and it has a threaded end so you can effectively adjust its length.

From memory (it was a few years ago that I did this) you need to adjust the rod so that the two latch releases operate in synch when pulled, rather than one latch release operating first followed by the second.

I followed the instructions and was amazed at the difference - the left bag which had always been a real b*tch to open was now every bit as easy to open as the right bag - and it still is years later!

As I say, this was a few years ago so I'm not sure that a search would bring up the specifics - I recall at one time there was a ton of stuff abut saddlebag latches on teh various Wing forums.

It is vaguely possible I might have kept the details someplace - not sure.

Anyway, hope this might be some help.

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts