GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you ever carry liquids in the trunk or park you bike overnight in a monsoon, you might want to think about making a hole in the bottom of the trunk cavity to drain any water that collects there. Now that the audio unit has been moved to the trunk, if that compartment ever gets flooded, you'll be in for a very expensive repair. This is something all 2012 owners might want to consider doing.

A new audio unit cost $2,083

It might also be a good idea to refrain from carrying any liquids (like bottled water, etc) in the trunk.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey fred,

Thank you for all the help you provide to all of us.

How is the hose attached to the hole you drilled? and where exactly in the trunk did you drill it?

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey fred,

Thank you for all the help you provide to all of us.

How is the hose attached to the hole you drilled? and where exactly in the trunk did you drill it?
That photo is of a drain I put in my 2002 bike many years back. I put it on the left side, so when the bike was on the sidestand it was in the lowest point. I simply drilled the hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the tubing I had, and then pushed the tubing into the hole and trimmed it flush with an razor knife. The hose was held in the hole simply by compression, though it would have been easy to add a little glue to the outside of the hose before I pushed it in, but it didn't seem to need it, so I didn't.

I haven't (yet) gotten around to putting a drain on the 2012, but you can bet I will. I'll post photos of it when I do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That photo is of a drain I put in my 2002 bike many years back. I put it on the left side, so when the bike was on the sidestand it was in the lowest point. I simply drilled the hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the tubing I had, and then pushed the tubing into the hole and trimmed it flush with an razor knife. The hose was held in the hole simply by compression, though it would have been easy to add a little glue to the outside of the hose before I pushed it in, but it didn't seem to need it, so I didn't.

I haven't (yet) gotten around to putting a drain on the 2012, but you can bet I will. I'll post photos of it when I do.
I noticed my 2012 had a drain hole and hose coming from the bottom of this compartment already. I believe this has been resolved in 2012.

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed my 2012 had a drain hole and hose coming from the bottom of this compartment already. I believe this has been resolved in 2012.
That's good to hear. I haven't had the back panel off yet to see, I'll have to check that out.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just checked, and sure-nuff, Honda has already put a drain on the 2012, in almost the same spot I did on my previous two bikes. That's good news, one less hole I have to drill in my new bike.

Here is a photo of it.

Now you've got to plug the hole to keep the mice out :rat:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I thought I saw a hole in there for mine when installing the CB. I didn't check to see where it drained, or if there was a tube it drained into.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts