GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a search on this topic and reading several threads, I am totally confused on where this installs. One post listed removing the inner liner of the trunk and putting it on the left, but didn't indicate where. One showed the plug installed in the lid.

Can someone please list the steps to installing this on an '06 with Navi? A pic would be great! It looks like it would install from the trunk in line with or into the rear storage compartment.

Thanks,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hopefully someone can email you a pic which will make it easier. My bike is 1500 miles away so I can't.

but..if that doesn't work, the aux outlet installs in the trunk lid liner. Left of center just above halfway (above referenced looking at the liner with the lid open). There is a mark on the back side of the liner to drill.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Aux outlet? There's an AUX cable built int?

The power plug installs into the trunk linker. You have to take off a few dozen perimeter screws to get the liner off. Make sure you cut the hole up towards the back of the liner, so that you will have clearance between the liner and the trunk lid for the plug. Mine is about 3" off center to the left (for no particular reason.)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
joe_flash said:
Aux outlet? There's an AUX cable built int?

The power plug installs into the trunk linker. You have to take off a few dozen perimeter screws to get the liner off. Make sure you cut the hole up towards the back of the liner, so that you will have clearance between the liner and the trunk lid for the plug. Mine is about 3" off center to the left (for no particular reason.)
-WARNING-

The screws for the inside trunk liner are of different lengths, and if you put a longer screw into a hole that requires a shorter screw, you will put a dimple on the outside painted surface of the trunk lid. :shock:

·
Registered
343 Posts
trunk outlet

I have mine mounted against the back bottom of the truck. Went to Wally World and purchased the one w/ the rubber weather cap; drilled 2 small holes into the rear of the trunk and wire tied the receptacle in. Wired it into my auxiliary fuse panel. Took some silicone sealant and touched up around the holes on the bike side. It does not get in the way and I did not have to remove the inner trunk lid, I did remove the passenger back rest, big deal, 2 screws.
Buck

·
Registered
826 Posts
Got one of the WalMart weatherproof plugs. I think it was in the RV section. Mounted in the bottom compartment. I ran a fused wire directly off the battery and have it hot all the time. Nothing to remove except the seat. Just mark it, make sure there is nothing in the way and use a hole saw (drill). I use a soldering iron to burn a starter hole so the bit doesn't walk on me. If you ever plan on installing a CB, make sure it is high enough to clear the cover. I use it to charge cell phone, camera, other batteries and run air compressor. Not sure why it would matter whether an 01 or 06 unless there is something in the hole.

·
Registered
412 Posts
wally world

I bought one from wally world -- mounted in the inner lid (the back of it goes into the "hump area" of the trunk) Power is already under there for a light so I just used it for the dc plug.

2001 67k -- no problems - I use it mostly for my air compressor to fill the tires but also for my cell from time to time.

enjoy the ride,
Royal

·
Registered
343 Posts
Terpen, great location, mine is mounted right above and perpendicular to yours. Mine also is wired hot. I have my little cubby hole loaded w/ stuff, tire patch kit and small air compressor and have no room as you have in yours. I have a battery tender that I configured the end to a DC plug so I occasionally plug it in the refresh the battery.
Buck

·
Registered
826 Posts
Vetteman, Yep, that is where I carry my patch kit and compressor also. Since this photo was taken, I installed a CB. By shear accident, it does clear the CB cover. The reason for my statement above. I have a WalMart splitter that gives me two plugs and can still have the little bottom cover plate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I JUST INSTALLED A SMALL HONDA GENERATOR IN THE TRUNK AND VENTED THE EXHAUST OUT THE BACK. PLENTY OF POWER, AND I CAN MAKE TOAST ON MY WAY TO WORK IN THE MORNINGS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts